Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 235 ]  [ Total: 235 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry
Page: of 44

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  1:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, Bill & Crew,

A very impressive backdrop indeed!! I've done some very nice test backdrops using the large format printers at both FedEx Office and Walgreens. But I have no idea what type of material I've been using; it just looked and felt right. Since I am totally ignorant, could you 'splain to me what "vinyl scrim" is?

Thanks,

Steve Flanigan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backdrop looks very fine indeed. But I don't know about the Micky on the right hand side. For the impact on the layout $300 seems like a bargain.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  1:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vinyl scrim is a cloth/plastic laminate used for large format banners and signs. It comes in various weights and finishes and some are even adhesive backed (though I won't be using that). It has a woven finish similar to canvas and is sold on rolls for use with commercial wide format solvent-based ink printers.

Even if you are not familiar with the material, it is quite likely that you have seen it being used if you've ever been to a trade show, concert, county fair or parade.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  2:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

The backdrop looks very fine indeed. But I don't know about the Micky on the right hand side. For the impact on the layout $300 seems like a bargain.

It is a long standing tradition with Walt Disney Imagineering to add so-called "Hidden Mickeys" to their projects. Since I'm following the Disney playbook here it seemed only fitting to have one there. Sorry if you don't like it or find it corny, but once on the walls and behind the scenery, Mickey will be harder to spot. He's just there for people who look.

David Meek

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  2:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Took me awhile but I finally found the Mickey. I think it is kind of a neat idea. Love the whole layout Dave.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Dave

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

It is a long standing tradition with Walt Disney Imagineering to add so-called "Hidden Mickeys" to their projects. Since I'm following the Disney playbook here it seemed only fitting to have one there. Sorry if you don't like it or find it corny, but once on the walls and behind the scenery, Mickey will be harder to spot. He's just there for people who look.

And I'm use to looking for them at the park but was just a little surprised to find one here. Finding one was fun actually. Sorry I was clumsy in my choice of wording.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  2:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries!

David Meek

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even if you are not familiar with the material, it is quite likely that you have seen it being used if you've ever been to a trade show, concert, county fair or parade.

Ahhh! Gotcha! Guess I'm not as dumb as I thought. I've used and/or seen the material a bunch during my various corporate incarnations. Just didn't remember the term.

Thanks,

Steve

PS Hidden Mickey works for me.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween from Thunder Mesa!

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com/2015/10/happy-halloween.html

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  2:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween to you too Dave!

quote:

No apologies needed! As I've said many times, being a Disney fan myself, I admire how you've capture the feel of Disney in your modeling. Not an easy thing to do! To incorporate the Mickey in your layout as you have done is following the Disney theme in true form! I didn't even notice it when I first looked at your backdrop, but now I'm wondering if there are any other 'hidden Mickey's' on the railroad. And if none, maybe there should be a few more!

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2015 :  8:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's the end of the month and that usually means it's time for another TMMC Video Log. Today's Happy Haunted Halloween Edition takes on the scariest topic in model railroading... Track maintenance!

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrXDuyTHYVA&feature=youtu.be

David Meek

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  09:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great video! I also learned a few tricks on track and wheel maintenance. Those little Porters are quite finicky and do much better with clean track.

I also liked the Halloween images........very creative. Thank you. Doc Tom

Mowasst
New Hire

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  8:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mowasst's Homepage  Send Mowasst a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love your layout, every time I drive past Camp Verdi on the 17 I wish I could come see it in person. Really liked your interview but the last comment about gold in sandstone tickled my funny bone, because they may not have found gold they have found silver in sandstone and in only one place in the world. Utah where I believe some imagineers got inspiration for a little Disney Magic and Utah is geologically speaking always breaking rules from alternating canyons with gold then silver then gold again. Too north running rivers. Maybe there is gold in them darn sand cliffs just nobody has found it yet

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  9:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha! Maybe so!

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  2:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As some may have noticed, progress on the TMMC has come to a near stand-still in the passed month or so. While I've been busy working on other things, I've been thinking about the railroad and where I'd like to take it next. Sometimes it seems like there's so much to do that I will never be able to finish it and I wonder if I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. Over the years it has grown from a simple 3x6' loop into something that nearly fills my entire studio. In the end it comes down to a question of just how much railroad one can live with. Today, I'm rethinking the plan just a little and there might be some significant changes coming in the new year. Thanks for following along!

David Meek

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000