Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 210 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry
Page: of 44

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  08:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave, the saloon looks great. I'm aliken the new town reorgnization too.

Mark

W,L,&E

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  12:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another stunning update, Dave. Having just gone through a series of desert thunderstorms out here in the Coachella Valley, that angry sky fits right in. And, yes, I too have been following the TMMC thread and blog since the beginning and look forward to each new installment.

Steve Flanigan

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  6:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's high time I started adding more period correct figures to the layout and several folks have suggested the 40mm wargaming figures from Knuckleduster Miniatures. I went ahead and ordered a bunch and now I'm having fun thinking about where to use them on the layout.

Here's Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco facing off in Hanging Rock.

And a whole bunch of others waiting to be painted.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  12:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was honored recently to be interviewed by John Cubbin from Raildig.com. He asked some great questions that really got me thinking about my modeling philosophy and the ideas behind Thunder Mesa. Hope you'll check out the interview and the rest of his excellent site: http://www.raildig.com/raildig-guest/dave-meek-on30-thunder-mesa-mining-co/

David Meek

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  3:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave: Nice interview. I especially like to read your musings on the "art" of the hobby. My own interest is quite the opposite of yours (an emphasis on history and a realistic operational model), but you have me believing that a layout can be both realistic and fun in a Norman Rockwell/Indiana Jones way. Thanks for being you. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  4:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Good interview, good fun, keep at it :)

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  4:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
were are doc holoday the dentist is he anywere ?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! The interview was fun to do.

Meanwhile I've been getting serious about a permanent backdrop for the TMMC. I'm using a hybrid approach, first creating this digital sky in Photoshop to be printed like a banner on 13oz vinyl scrim. This will then be affixed to the walls and used like a canvas for any background scenes I'd like to paint on - or those might be on separate flats in front of the sky backdrop. Total size is 42" x 347" and it will wrap around 3 sides of the layout room. For scale, that thunderstorm is about 3' across.

quote:
Originally posted by Cowboybilly

were are doc holoday the dentist is he anywere ?

Oh, I'm sure Doc (and maybe Wyatt too) will find a home on the layout somewhere!

David Meek

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  11:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do you print something that large?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  11:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

How do you print something that large?

I got a guy. Actually a large format printer that specializes in indoor/outdoor banners for trade shows and such. They can even go bigger.

David Meek

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sky looks amazing. I especially like the thunderstorm and I'm looking forward to the effect once it is behind the layout. Is it expensive? The costs of large format printing seem to have become attainable at last - very exciting!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  07:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh also, what pixel count do you need to make that look reasonable when printed out that size? I think Dave Farey had a thing about a printed New England photoshop that he did for an On30 layout and the file size was gigantic.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  08:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, That's an impressive sweep of sky there! There are different types and grades of vinyl scrim, can you give the specs for the one you used?
What does the mesh look like up close (the future backdrop on my layout will be close to edge)?

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  09:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only dream...That is some fantastic
background Dave!

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  12:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks guys. As some may recall, I used a similar printed backdrop for my first N scale Pagosa & Southern. There is some visible mesh pattern but it fades away at about 2' or so (or maybe thats just my eyes). I've found the 13oz vinyl to have a nice balance between sturdiness and workability - plus you can paint on it. The printing has a dull matte finish and is waterproof and fade resistant since this process is mainly used for outdoor banners. 300 ppi is ideal for printing but I've achieved good results with resolutions down to 150. The file size for this monster is about 700mb. The total cost for my backdrop will be about $350. Given the amount of work it will save and the looks it will achieve, I think that's a pretty good price.

David Meek

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.57 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000