Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 219 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry
Page: of 44

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  7:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This corner doesn't look like much yet, but it's actually the beginning of Calico. I'm repurposing my portable backdrop here since, though sometimes handy, it turned out to just be in the way most of the time.

The bottom of the backdrop here is approximately where the base track level for Calico will be.

I've gone back and forth on the idea of coved corners for the backdrop several times. In the end, I've finally decided to create the backdrop in panels like this that can be removed from the wall if the layout ever needs to move. It won't be seamless, but the seams will be positioned to align with the layout sections and to not detract from the scenery.

David Meek

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave.....Saloon is coming along.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  2:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That last picture is for sure an "E" ticket ride!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  10:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still plugging away on the O&F Saloon. Once the roof is on I'll work on blending it into the rest of the scene will landscaping and details. Just placing things here and there now to test it them out.

David Meek

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  12:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'm really liking what you have done to the supporting timbers over the front entry. Those are unique and add a lot to the structure.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  10:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree. The whole structure is really interesting -- makes me wish I'd thought of it! :)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  01:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. That structure has a lot of character.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  08:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  1:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

I haven't posted one of these in quite awhile. Here's an overhead/panorama view of the entire Thunder Mesa layout as it looks today.

David Meek

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  2:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Very impressive.

Tom M.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  02:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dave: Have you considered a diagonal brace for this high riser to strengthen the lower joint against someone leaning against the side of the aisle? The tall riser allows a lot of leverage to be applied to the lower joint if someone lost their balance and leaned against the layout.

Very inspiring work. I particularly appreciate your flexibility and not letting a plan get in the way of new inspiration. We never know what new surprise is waiting for us in your thread. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  12:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. There's actually another brace there that you can't see in the photo - so, three all together. It's pretty sturdy and I find myself leaning on it all the time. There will be a foam canyon down below there too and that will add more strength as well. I did consider a diagonal brace but I'd like to keep the weight down in case I need to move the darn thing.

Here's a view looking down at Hanging Rock after the last few days of work. Ground cover and track ballast is in and things are beginning to green up a bit in a desert sort of way. The scene is starting to come to life.

Download Attachment: IMG_8742rrl.jpg
199.66 KB

David Meek

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  01:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on the roof, Dave. I love the horse's look.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  02:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Details, details...

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  08:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice details, Dave!

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000