Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 205 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry
Page: of 44

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  11:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Hope the house hunting goes well and secures enough real estate for the layout to move in and perhaps even expand.

Ditto that!

GeoffAllen
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly don't envy you on needing to move it, and it certainly makes sense to hold off on work until you learn more. Whatever happens, I hope you'll post updates. It'll be interesting to read about the moving process.

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  4:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat article in MRH. Does this mean we now get a 'book signing' party? If they only knew the whole story like we are fortunate enough to know! Well done and congrats! Russ

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  12:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy friends! Long time no see. I'm afraid that with buying a new house, moving, and opening up a new studio I've had to let a few things fall by the wayside, including regular updates to this forum. But not to worry! If you follow the TMMC Facebook page you know that a whole lot has been happening in Thunder Mesa Country and I'll do my best to bring things up to date here.

First off, the move is done and the family is happily settled in our new Clarkdale, AZ home. The layout itself now resides at my new art studio just up the hill in the historic mining burg of Jerome. That's right, the same Jerome that John Olson modeled with his J&S layout so many years ago.

Thunder Mesa Studio is open to the public on occasion so I created a stage-like presentation for the layout in the new space. All told, the TMMC occupies about a third of the space in the new studio which is located in the Old Jerome High School Art Center.

Disassembling, packing and moving the layout was hard enough, but the biggest job was building and painting the new backdrops. They are constructed like theater flats and can be removed from the rented space if I ever need to move the layout again.

The new backdrop really adds so much to the presentation of the layout

Here's a look at how everything fits into the new studio:

Look for a complete article on the move and the backdrop in an upcoming MRH column.

So far, my favorite thing about the new space is the ability to open it up for guests. I host an Open Studio & Train Day just about every month on the first Saturday. The next is on July 1.

More info on the new Thunder Mesa Studio website: http://thundermesa.studio/visit/

With the layout moved to its new home and everything up and running again, I'm really looking forward to getting back to some modeling projects. Lots of things have been piling up on the workbench in the past few months, including a turntable and engine house build, and a new mine complex for up on the mesa. Stay tuned!

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 06/20/2017 12:38:38 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  12:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Howdy!

Nice to see the basic necessities of life got taken care of. The new house and art studio are nice bonus items too.
Yes, the new back drop sure does add to the layout. I love your thunder cap and the rain storm.
It's so good to see you posting again.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  1:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Good to see you posting again. The new location for the layout/studio/gallery looks like a nice fit. 'Nuff said here, now I'm going to check out the new studio website as well as the blogspot and Facebook pages too.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Beautiful in so many ways.
ed

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  1:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New digs look quite handsome. If we ever visit AZ again will definitely swing by.

Bill Uffelman
Ocean View DE

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  6:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I'm impressed by your high level of creativity. And your "poster" advertising your open house is very classy. I'm sure your move was a lot if work but you seem to have taken full advantage of your new home.

Mike

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  7:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the new digs looks great, look forward to more progress photos.

Mark

W,L,&E

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  9:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is nice to see a layout successfully moved as I am in the process of doing the same. I am taking apart as much as I can and will move the end of Jul. It should go back together fairly quick.

The backdrop looks great as does the layout.

Roland

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  10:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you've been missed, but I'm glad to see you are settled in and the railroad back up and running. Obviously the layout survived the move well. Good thing!

I'm looking forward to seeing you work on some of those projects.

Welcome back!

Mark

sgoti
New Hire

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  8:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, this is excellent news!

I have been itching to visit Arizona again, now you've given me another reason.

Going to have to miss the July 1 open studio, but I'll definitely keep tabs on things and make one later this year.

Jerome is such a rich area, in terms of history, scenery, history, and inspiration.

Thanks for keeping us posted, looking forward to what comes next.

Edited by - sgoti on 06/21/2017 8:57:54 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  6:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it. So much imagination. Well done.

bruce

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  9:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just have to say WOW, love the new man cave and happy the move went well.

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000