Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Page: of 44

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  01:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ray! Yes, I can certainly darken the edges. They are stained with watercolors and it would be easy to darken them up. That might look better. In the photo I was referencing the torn edges were actually lighter so that's the way I did it. I hear where you're coming from though.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  01:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rca2

quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

Really beautiful!

Would it be possible at this stage to blacken the ragged edges of the rolled roofing?

I assumed it was old and faded, rather than new damage.

Yes. I was referencing some photos of very old and faded tarpaper. Ray is correct that new tears would expose darker paper underneath but without the tar on top I guess the paper would fade quickly in the desert sun? Now I'm torn. (Pun intended.)

David Meek

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  01:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not familiar with tar paper as a top material. What I have seen is asphalt shingles and hot tar roofs in the NE and Midwest. The surface fades to gray. They use felt like material under the tar surface instead of paper. Asphalt shingles fade too and ones I have seen are dark colored inside. But I wouldn't say that either tar or asphalt fades fast. Since I moved last year, I don't know anyone to ask in the construction business anymore.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  5:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you were right, Ray. I painted the torn edges black and now the tarpaper looks more realistic to my eye. Thanks for the tip!

Next up will be the shake roof for the main building.

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  8:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that too but was afraid to comment as I admire your work so much, but it does look much better. Great job!

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  10:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please don't ever be afraid to offer constructive criticism. I can take it! Everybody can learn something. The best thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge and experience of its members.

David Meek

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  11:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen it both lighter, and darker, on prototype structures. I don't know whether it depends on the type of material, or what kind of weather it's been subjected to. To my eye the dark edges just look more "right".

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  01:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used printed paper 'tarpaper' in the past on a couple of structures. I have used two different ways to color the paper edges dependent on the effect I interested in.

I have used a charcoal pencil/stick to color the edges of the paper. This technique has the advantage of being somewhat controllable in the color tone by wiping with the finger. In addition, it provides a fairly sharp line.

The second method is to use a dark gray/black felt tip marker. Here the color 'fades' a bit more into the paper roofing due to the moisture in the ink application, making the line not quite so sharp and which lends itself more towards a 'rip' in the tarpaper, like the effect you have obtained.

For my eye, the big trick is to tear/cut the tarpaper lower edge to avoid the straight line, indicating some weathering (wear and tear) of the tarpaper. Dependent on the tearing and the tarpaper edge shadow one is trying to obtain, the method of coloring the paper edge is a matter of technique.

I really feel that your affect is very well done and I really like the sandpaper with the paper colored over the first picture of the raw paper edge. I suspect that the marker method would come in similar to your watercolor application, but you probably have more control over the color of the paper edge using your method, but I suspect that the tradeoff is a slight loss in control over the amount of 'fade' created by the absorbing function of the sandpaper when compared to using a marker.

But no matter what.... really, really nicely done... as usual!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  3:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey howdy hey, there's a new post up on the Thunder Mesa blog today bringing everything up to date with the goings on around Hanging Rock. Video too! Hope you'll check it out. http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-story-of-hanging-rock-part-ii.html

Here's a direct link to the HD video log: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U65o-5DmKaE

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  5:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trying to visualize the finished scene at Hanging Rock and the natural bridge.

(AKA: playing with trains.)

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  5:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's going to be a nice scene, Dave.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  6:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful, Walt would be proud.

Roland

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering about the name, "Hanging Rock" does that refer to a rock that hangs, or a rock where outlaws received their final justice?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

I was just wondering about the name, "Hanging Rock" does that refer to a rock that hangs, or a rock where outlaws received their final justice?

Hehe. Both.

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do love your video updates Dave. That's a great way to keep your fans updated! The natural stone bridge is awesome! That's going to look great when done. Very 'Disneyish'!

Mark

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000