Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 238 ]  [ Total: 244 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Climax A Build Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 47

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  10:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful. I really like those stone steps.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  11:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Ray!

Today I did the porch and boardwalk in front of the Eldorado Hotel. The Grandt Line stairs still need paint.

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 03/22/2016 11:35:35 PM

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  08:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That scene makes me feel like I'm standing in front of the saloon ready to get a whiskey! That looks great!

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of the board sidewalk is now finished in Thunder Mesa town. This afternoon I completed the porch and stairs in front of the Marshal's Office. I'm after that funky look of different levels, steps and walkways that you see at Rainbow Ridge in Disneyland (without copying it exactly). I think I'm getting closer.

Now I can move on to ground cover and some sanded grout for the roads.

David Meek

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  10:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The party has moved outside. Looks great Dave.

Cheers, Heath.

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  11:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More smiles, thanks Dave.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  10:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I love that last picture. Your making great progress. I can't wait to see the ground cover in place.

Mark

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave: Just read your article on designing structures. The three photos above helped me understand your point about "reverse false perspective." It never occurred to me to cheat on the foreground perspective. Looking forward to seeing what you do and write next. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  12:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm glad you got what I was talking about with "reverse false perspective." It's an old trick of the trade that was used by people like John Olson, etc, to add a little more charm and appeal to structures. Hardly anyone uses it anymore as the hobby has become more and more relentlessly focused on realism as an end in itself. But the point of a model railroad structure, IMHO, is not for it to be a miniature piece that could be scaled up board by nail into a 1:1 structure. No, it's a specific bit of visual storytelling that must work as well as possible within its context in a scene. That means using whatever tools and tricks necessary to pull that off. BTW, Tom York uses it to great effect in his structure kits and that's one big reason why Vern'e San Lorenzo models look right at home in Thunder Mesa.

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 03/24/2016 12:38:51 PM

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  6:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little scene Dave.....And I am glad to see some of "Verne"
in Thunder Mesa.......keep it going.....

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  8:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, what did I miss? Where is the 'Designing Structures' article?
Dave, I especially like the fact that you do not count rivets, but have FUN! I very much like the mockup buildings in place. For me, that is important. It adds a bit of completeness, even if there hasn't been time to 'drive all the nails' yet. I'm just getting the landscape in place on my layout and really want it to look more finished even before it IS finished.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  9:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The article in question was my Imagineering column in the January MRH which you can read online for free here: http://mrhpub.com/2016-01-jan/online/files/167.html

And you're right about the mock-ups. They've become such a big part of my planning that I don't know what I'd do without them. It is nice to have something in place on the layout too, especially when you are scratchbuilding nearly everything and it takes a long, long time to get the real structures done.

David Meek

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  11:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave!

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  10:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great article Dave. Is there a specific program you use to design and print the mock ups?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fireman93514

great article Dave. Is there a specific program you use to design and print the mock ups?

Thank you. Yes, I use Adobe Illustrator.

But there are many other programs you could use, including Corel Draw, Autodesk CAD, and Sketchup (free).

David Meek

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Climax A Build Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000