Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 204 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry
Page: of 44

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  10:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

You have a real talent for capturing the essence of geology.

Mike

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  11:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing work Dave. I'm learning from you. Keep teaching please!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  12:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I am amazed not only at what you are doing, but how you are doing it. I was wondering how you would texture and color the areas towards the back of the canyon, but your step by step explains the process. Excellent! Your work is inspiring!

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  6:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

I took a break from scenery building today to add decals and some details to the TMMC's newest locomotive: #9, Admiral Fowler.

The engineer is Chuckwalla Slim, quite the noted character in these parts. Chuck's dog, Sparky, rides along as fireman. Both figures were painted by Verne Niner.

The fancy capped stack might be a little unusual for a Porter. It's made from an HO part out of my scrap box.

Admiral Joe Fowler, BTW, was the construction boss and first general manager of Disneyland.

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  7:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, a nice addition to the stable and good to see Chuckwalla Slim & Sparky joining in too.

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  9:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it! I hope my wife doesn't hear me talking about Porter in my sleep, she might get the wrong impression!

Edited by - Smokestack Jack on 03/04/2016 9:08:55 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  10:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking real good, Dave. I am glad you identified Adm. Fowler. Great colors on the Porter.

I am modeling SE Arizona and your and Verne's scenery and advice have been inspirational. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  12:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking locomotive, and great to see you continue the Disney tradition of naming the loco's after Disney officials. I thought I knew that name but wasn't quite sure until I read your explanation of who he was.

Mark

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a mighty fine Porter you got there with all them pretty strips and do-dads painted on. Sparky looks like he would rather run along side the train and he probably could keep up.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  12:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

What a mighty fine Porter you got there with all them pretty strips and do-dads painted on.

Ha! Right you are. I was thinking the other day if I ever get around to building the engine house and car shop there needs to be a rather extensive re-paint and touch-up facility with many, many cans of different colored paints.

David Meek

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Dave

... I was thinking the other day if I ever get around to building the engine house and car shop there needs to be a rather extensive re-paint and touch-up facility with many, many cans of different colored paints.

Don't forget the wash rack

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 03/05/2016 3:45:11 PM

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Laid some groundwork today for the new turntable area in the former location of San Lorenzo. Just fiddling around with some things to see how it will all fit. For those keeping score, this is the third and (hopefully) final time the turntable area has been moved.

Note that is not the turntable that will be in the final scene. It's an old bash I did on a Walther's N scale TT. I've ordered the 9" A frame turntable kit from Kitwood Hill Model Works. It should make a great (and functional) centerpiece for this scene.

David Meek

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  9:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Dave! Just catching up after being off line for almost two weeks! Spectacular work, as always ... ... and, always inspirational! You help to keep the "juices flowing" when I can't seem to get out into the garage ... ...! Thanks so much for sharing!

CHEERS!

JSBSOn30MRRs - Jefferson State Black Sheep On30 Model Railroaders, Founding Member
DW&A - Diddy Wells & Afterthought On30 Module/Mini-Layout

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  11:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, beautiful job on the Porter, I thought that driver looked familiar. Looking forward to the TT build.

Cheers, Heath.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks gents!

I've been finishing up the fascia work in the aisle between Horse Thief Canyon and Rainbow Caverns. I really like the finished look this brings to the area. I was inspired to create a little Photoshop rendering of what this view will look like once the backdrop is added behind the layout, and black drop-curtains are installed below the fascia.

Here's how the aisle between Rainbow Caverns and Horse Thief Canyon looks today with the 1/8" Masonite fascia installed and painted.

And here's a Photoshop render of how the area will look once the backdrop is installed and black drop-curtains added below the fascia. Looks like a nice place to hang out and play trains!

David Meek

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Spanish style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000