Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 236 ]  [ Total: 242 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Climax A Build Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 47

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing about your magic, Dave, is that you share the secrets of your tricks. Awesome. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  11:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

I've made a good start on the canyon walls below Hanging Rock. The pink foam layers will be blended together with foam putty (spackle) and Sculptamold before painting.

The Kato power pack recessed into the cliffs will control the On18 tram high above.

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 02/19/2016 11:03:20 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  12:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, that's a lot of carving! But it sure looks great! However, I don't see any Mickeys... yet!

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I began work on the slot canyon below Hanging Rock. Working from the bottom up, I'll be finishing it in about 3" deep sections so I can continue to reach the narrow interior. When complete, Horse Thief Canyon will be 72' deep (18"), but only about 12' wide (3") on average. This is fairly typical for slot canyons in the sandstone country of the Southwest.

David Meek

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that 2" thick foam boards your using, Dave?

Great looking work so far. I really like the solitary column in front of the rock wall.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  4:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It's 1" thick. I can't get the 2" in my area.

David Meek

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  11:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work as usual Dave. I'm getting close to being able to terraform on my layout. Now I need to go back to page one on this thread and study your work again.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  11:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, I've been looking forward to this part!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  07:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done and already quite realistic looking in the pink foam.

Doc Tom

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  1:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While working on the canyon wall below Hanging Rock, it occurred to me that I might need to access the wiring back there at some point in the future so I built in a removable section of scenery to make that much easier. Just push in at the corner then slide it on out.

David Meek

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  2:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool, Dave ... ... that is just all kinds of ingenious ... ...! Can't wait to see what you come up with, next! As always ...

CHEERS!

JSBSOn30MRRs - Jefferson State Black Sheep On30 Model Railroaders, Founding Member
DW&A - Diddy Wells & Afterthought On30 Module/Mini-Layout

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  2:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That cover is so cool. I might make one for the transformer too. And 1/2 is all I can get in LA.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  7:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today's progress on Horse Thief Canyon. One more layer of foam added and some spackling to start blending things together. In my experience, common household spackle works just as well as Woodland Scenics foam putty. In fact, I strongly suspect it's the exact same thing - but at less than half the price. I'll let this dry overnight and then it will get a base coat of tan latex paint.

Looks like one heck of a place to lose a mule.

David Meek

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  7:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave I am convinced that you are buying a specialized foam . The stuff I have doesn't turn out looking as good as yours does.

ty

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  7:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a neat project! As a geologist I believe I am looking at a wind-formed landscape. I assume that was your intent. Beautiful work.

Mike

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Climax A Build Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000