Railroad Line Forums - Foss Landing Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Foss Landing Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives Topic Next Topic: Carolina Custom Kits background kit Dardens 1
Page: of 3

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  9:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone.

Im going to make an attempt to do a build thread for the second part of my SW Shipyard/Foss Landing area of my layout.

Unboxing all the pieces. This kit is a lot less complicated than the Shipyard.

I separated all the castings so I could prime some of the metal ones.

These are the only castings I wanted to prime. The rest will get treated with Blacken-It. I didn't prime any of the resin castings.

I used Krylon Camouflage paint.

In the instructions he recommends using a base coat of a thinned out Roof Brown for the windows and doors. I had good luck making my base coat from Rembrandt Raw Umber 408.3 mixed with a heavy A&I mix.

I used a steel bristle wire brush to add texture to all the strip wood and the clapboard
walls.

This is my setup for making straight lines, I used a wheel to add nail holes. I clamp a metal yard stick straight end to my work bench. It gives me a good clean edge to work against and I can use it to measure stripwood.

I detailed all the walls. I couldn't get a very
good picture of the texture. It should pop once I paint the walls.

I added a basecoat of Driftwood stain. I got it from Roundbell Hobby Products. It seems to be very similar to Flostain.

Tomorrow when the walls dry I will add some color to them.

-Steve

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  11:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Steve, for starting this thread. There are so many folks here on the forum who are avid marine modelers. I look forward to following along and gaining some useful tips. Brett's kits are fabulous. Thanks for taking the time to offer a step-by-step approach.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  4:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice to see this kit featured Steve. I will be following along and you're off to a great start and look forward to seeing what you do with Foss Landing. For a complete harbor scene, you can't beat SierraWest Scale Models series of kits...great stuff.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  6:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed with Mike and Ken, Steve. Cool little kit. Good luck on your build!

BTW the forum did a "group construction project" build on this very kit way back in the early years (2003). http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3679

I also built it myself, based on the forums' favorable response, but was not a member at the time. I have a few final pix if interested.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  9:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cant wait to follow your build of this great kit Steve. Especially after seeing your incredible pictures of the SierraWest shipyard.
As Carl B mentioned this kit was featured way back in the foundation of this forum.

Looking forward to watching what you do with this great kit.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/18/2015 9:59:28 PM

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  10:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

After I primed all the walls I gave them a wash of A&I.

It really accentuates the details.

I dipped my brush in Floquil Caboose then into clean Diosol to create a inconsistent wash. Then I went over the whole wall again with my
A&I wash

I wanted a dirty faded old wall look.

Next step was to drybrush the walls with antique white. I use Apple Barrel full strength from the bottle.

I think it gives the wall that sunbleached effect I'm going for. Right is before, left is after.

Walls are done. Next step is the windows.

Thanks for following along.
-Steve

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  9:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You definitely got that faded look steve. Sometimes hard to do without turning the red to pink, but you got it just right.
It looks faded, peeled and dirty to me.

Karl.A

chooch41
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  06:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks awesome... Looking forward to the windows...

Brad

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  2:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Karl, I had tried a couple peeling paint
ideas for the walls but with the red color I couldn't get an effect I liked. I always feel when I'm doing peeling paint if I have a strong wall color it looks wrong to my eye. I usually like other peoples peeling paint with reds and dark greens but I can never get it right.

Final base color for the windows and doors.

After I added the main window color. I used Floquil Reefer White. I applied it with a straight soft brush in a blotting type pattern.
I picked that technique up from Brett when I was doing the shipyard. I really like the results so Ill be using it from now on.

I used the same technique for the wood for the main building sign.

Window assembled after painting.

Sign after applying dry transfer lettering

I hit the front of the sign with a wire brush, then I dry brushed white to dull it down a bit.

croteausean
New Hire

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm liking this Steve! I can't wait to see some more as it unfolds. I love the look of the faded look with the sign, it'll tie it all together very nicely.

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  01:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I added the doors and windows to the walls

I added some signs to the back of the building.
The dry transfer really came apart. They are all pretty brittle at this point I think it may be due to age. I think this kit is 15 years old?
I can work with the broken lettering. I think it makes the wall look older.

I added the front door. I took the hinges and handle from pieces I had left over from the shipyard. I couldn't find any in this kit.

Gluing the walls together.

Now it's starting to look like a building.

Next step is the landings and staircases. Then the roof.

-Steve

chooch41
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really nice. I love the weathering and signage.... Keep up the great work and thanks for posting your progress....

Brad

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  9:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic Steve, weathering and aging is all blending together so very well.
I really like the overall look you are achieving.

Karl.A

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  10:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I applied all the roofing material at once to save some time. Instead of coloring the shingles first and applying them with a spray adhesive I glued them on with white elmers glue.

Here is the completed roofing installed on the main building.

I installed the front freight door canopy also.

I took my x-acto knife and pulled up some of the shingles to add texture.

I painted all the shingles with Floquil Earth.

I applied an A&I wash to the shingles. Took 4 washes of my standard A&I wash to get the color I liked.

I drybrushed all the shingles with antique white and added the staircase. I colored the staircase the same way as the walls and trim.

Thanks for checking it out. Next step is to build the railing and the dock. Then to install next to my shipyard.

-Steve

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  11:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Steve.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  9:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys. Sorry for the delay in updates, I got really tied up with things. I've been making some progress with the second building of the kit. Unfortunately I thought I had taken pictures of the beginning stages of the assembly but I can't find them. Here are the pictures of the complete second building minus some of the details.

The dry transfers on this kit were unbelievably
difficult to use. I guess the age had caused them to become very brittle. I think its near 20 years old? I did the best I could but some of them didn't make it on to the buildings.

The main color for the walls was floquil reefer white that I blotted on with a very stiff brush over siding I primed with an A&I wash.

This roof was very challenging to get the angles correct. Since I complete blew the pitch angles on the shipyard main structure gables I was determined to get this roof correct. I'm pretty happy with the results. I used the same technique as the other 2 structures to color the roof, Floquil Earth with a few washes of A&I then drybrushing with antique white. I've been doing all my dry brushing with the Apple Barrel brand antique white. I like how thick it is and it's less than a dollar for 2 oz.

The kit was missing the roof card for the flat roof. I used the cardboard backer from a yellow note pad to make a new one. It worked fine.

Here are the 2 structures mocked up next to the shipyard. The docks are glued down but neither of the structures and obviously I have a tremendous amount of detail to add. I'm not going to be able to add the boat shed or the boat under construction to this half of the diorama. This is only half of a the front area of my layout. The other half will have the rest of Foss Landing, FSM Emporium Seafood and FSM JS Pile Driver.

-Steve

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives Topic Next Topic: Carolina Custom Kits background kit Dardens 1  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000