Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Page: of 12

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again I'm late in getting caught up here.

You've come a long way Rob.

Some excellent work on that coal bin.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  08:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I very much like how this assembly is turning out. Shows your usual care. You're getting some excellent advise and better yet, you're listening.

With regard to board on board, I tend to agree with the others that it might have been a better way to go. Seems like you've put so much work into making sheetwood look like individual boards that you could have gone that way in the first place and saved time.

However, it's turned out really good and I am not suggesting you start over on this part.

I enjoy reading each of your posts even if I do not respond often. One runs out of superlatives.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  11:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rob, I've been wondering what's happened to you with this build.
Glad to see you return too work, on this coal dock!
It's looking better and better with each new piece added.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Greg!

This build is never out of my mind but unfortunately it is off the table of things to do a good deal of the time. I’ve many things on the go, painting projects and commissions, there are the art classes I teach, seven throughout the week, the YouTube video’s for my channel that I’m now doing . . . type in Robert Wanka in the YouTube search bar and it will take you to them.

These are video’s on learning to draw; some are for kids others are aimed at adults. They are getting more story oriented and complex as I developed this new medium (for me) along. I’m thinking of doing something like it for this build and other subjects that interest me . . . but always grounded in a theme of art/craftsmanship and steeped in the human experience and condition . . . not mental abstractions and pretenses.

When I am done with the Palmerston Coal Dock build and turn it into a lovely little diorama, I’m going to make a series of drawings & paintings based on that model . . . which may be document in a YouTube video.

Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself, let’s get her done!

I’ve got another 8 support beams to mount, 12 concrete footings to put in place and 13 roof trusses for the Coal Shed to manufacture . . . I figured as long as one can look inside the shed I’d better have as much detail in there as I can get.

here's one of them roof trusses . . .

Lots of other details to do even after that’s accomplished . . . like roofs, cat-walks, cables, chains, stairs . . . the list goes on.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 08/16/2016 11:18:51 AM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  11:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Once again I'm late in getting caught up here.

You've come a long way Rob.

Some excellent work on that coal bin.

Thanks Jerry! I’ve a long way to go yet, but at least now it’s starting to look like a Coal Dock.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  11:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Robert,

I very much like how this assembly is turning out. Shows your usual care. You're getting some excellent advise and better yet, you're listening.

With regard to board on board, I tend to agree with the others that it might have been a better way to go. Seems like you've put so much work into making sheetwood look like individual boards that you could have gone that way in the first place and saved time.

However, it's turned out really good and I am not suggesting you start over on this part.

I enjoy reading each of your posts even if I do not respond often. One runs out of superlatives.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that!

The early part of this build, the Coal Drop Zone, as I call it, the structure supporting the Coal Shed and Tower/lift mechanism, was built with scribed sheet wood . . . after Lance Russwurm suggested I might (for a more realistic effect), build “board for board”, I decided to do that for the rest of this build. The Sand Bin and B&B on the Sand House are all “board for board” mounted upon a sheet wood substructure. The same goes for the B&B comprising the Coal Shed, Tower and Coal Bin gables. Those however were not mounted to sheet wood substructures. The Coal Bin however was board for board mounted to substructure.

I’m convinced it’s the way to go despite the extra effort . . . it really does what Lance said it would, “add a more realistic effect”!

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a picture of the side and front . . . getting all those vertical beams in

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  6:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I made a few trusses for the Coal Shed roof, 13 to be exact.

Here you can see the jig/template, I constructed so I could get those trusses as true to one another as possible.

Cutting and aligning the parts was a breeze with that jig.

Within a short time I had all 13 done!

Now back to the Coal Shed roof . . .
The roof is made out of several layers of layout paper glued together with a light spaying of 3M #77 adhesive. . .

How many layers of paper was decided upon by the stiffness and thickness desired, which was about 4 layers of the paper.
Next, I drew out the exact location for each truss and where the concrete elevator shaft was to be . . .

Loose fitting time with a smidge of drama!
The roof had to be custom cut to measure; it wasn’t good enough using the measurements from the plans. The coal shed that I’d put together wasn’t as picture perfect, meaning not as square, as I’d have liked it to be. So before I cut out the roof, I adjusted its measurements to take into account the inaccuracies. I was pleased with the results . . . the imperfection cannot be seen by eye or camera!

Had that not been the case, I would have gone back and rebuilt the entire coal shed . . . dodged that bullet!

My IPhone camera worked well for this inside view . . .

As for the inside walls, I may add some more bracing studs to complete a prototypical look for them . . . or not, I haven’t decided that yet.

Paint time!
I am using oils on the pallet . . .

as mentioned previously, I discovered that the layout paper takes oils very nicely, won’t ripple, fragment or yellow the paper (which will happen to pretty well most other papers). Another bonus, the paint dry’s to a nice matt finish! A matt finish to things like roofs and such looks nature so this is great!
Burnt Umber (brown), Ivory Black, Titanium White, and a bit of Naples Yellow with a smidge of French Ultra Marine Blue, were used to mix a witches brew of colour for my roof. That colour was determined by my best guess, based upon photographs of the prototype.

In the pictures below you can see the painting begun and finished with the center shingling strip glued down but unpainted in the photo on the left.
For the shingles, I glued down single strips of layout paper then used a X-acto knife to score or cut the vertical lines . . . The entire roof can be weathered later with chalk or graphite . . .

Here is what I’m doing to the underside of the roof . . . first I glue down the trusses, then trim to fit, then add the first layer of paint.

Went a little over-the-top with this bit of detail, added, in paint, the roof planking . . .

After all of that another quick loose fitting . . . and a peek inside

Now for what I suppose is evidence of the elevator shaft made of concrete.

I measured and cut out some 1/16 inch bass wood and glued it into place with my Cyanoacrylate glue. The bond is near instant.

Then I used a light application of Dyna Patch Pro putty, over the wood surface . . . you can work it smooth or leave it a little rough, all depends upon what you want. I wanted the texture of concrete.

• Shrink & crack resistant
• Fast dry, sands easily
• Outperforms vinyl spackling compounds
Does not shrink, crack, crater or sag on normal applications. Sands easily to a smooth, rock –hard finish ready for priming or painting. Dries quickly on both interior and exterior surfaces.

For what I was after here, this stuff is better than drywall compound for several reasons, “Mud”, or drywall compound is very soft after it dry’s, and it goes on pretty wet so warping of thin wood strips could take place.

The Dyna Patch Pro however, dry’s hard and fast! It is indeed more of a putty than “Mud”, hence it won’t warp small pieces of wood as it cures. The putty can be worked roughly or worked smooth, either way it’s quite hard after it cures. Best thing though is that you can put it on thick or thin and it won’t crack while curing and after it has cured you can sand it nicely to whatever degree suits.

Another bonus, you can paint acrylics directly over it after it’s dry.

Next: The Tower roof . . .

The tower roof shares the same angle or pitch, as the Coal Shed roof, however, the eave overhang isn’t the same. In the tower roof, that overhang is much shorter.

How much shorter?

I made that determination by eye, an estimated guess based upon viewing photographs of the prototype.

Loose fitting . . . shingling, painting!

Well, that's it for now.

More later

Robert Wanka

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of fine progress. The bin is looking too. Love the dump floor.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  7:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob.

What can I say, it is a labor of love!

Robert Wanka

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  7:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert a fine job. Great shot of the trusses inside.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  8:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, nice work! It's really coming together well!
Great photo documentation too!
I can't wait to see this coal dock in service, with your Northern engine being coaled.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  8:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Robert a fine job. Great shot of the trusses inside.

Thanks Jerry.

I am pleased with the way those trusses turned out.

At first I wasn't even going to do anything like that but because you can see inside the shed,I had to do something with it.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  8:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Robert, nice work! It's really coming together well!
Great photo documentation too!
I can't wait to see this coal dock in service, with your Northern engine being coaled.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Greg . . . I'm excited about that too!

I have this loco (brass), that will be pulling up to it as well . . .

There will be a number change . . . 5126, (to match the one in a photograph beside the Palmerston Coal Dock dated 1958) and then I'll paint her with some weathering!

Robert Wanka

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  10:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Great job on the roofs. To my eye they are appropriately precise. Must be a relief to see them fit so well.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, Roof! Roof! Roof! Lots of good techniques and info and looking really good. Thanks for posting it all.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000