Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rapido Switch Stands Topic Next Topic: South River Model Works Kits
Page: of 12

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rob, just one more thing that I thought of regarding the concrete lift chute.
If that chute was made from concrete, wouldn't the supporting structure below it also be made of concrete as well, in order for it to hold up the weight of the concrete above it?
(See photo below)
I'm now thinking that whole thing would have been made of concrete.
You are doing such a wonderful job of recreating this coal dock, so please don't take my questions as being critical of your work.

Greg Shinnie

Damn! Another good point!

Looking at my photo references of the prototype, one can't see clearly into the gloom under that part of the structure . . . hate it when your right

But don't mind that, I'm always open to constructive criticism; glad you caught it and I may very well make some changes there, perhaps.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  12:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

The build is looking Good. I love the Catwalk and it's railing. I too don't think the concrete would sit on a wood foundation but concrete would pickup grain from the form's wood but of course not its color.

Bob, that's very true . . . and you may have giving me the perfect repair idea for this part of the build, I can sand it a tad, and repaint it to look more like concrete!

"Excellent . . . everything is proceeding as foreseen!" (a phrase I picked up from Star Wars. The Emperor Palpatine, kept saying that until he took a header into the Death Star's power core . . . I guess he didn't see that coming !)

Same with me, I thought I had covered every eventuality . . . wrong!

Robert Wanka

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  1:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I am enjoying seeing the new progress on your project. I noticed particularly the way the wood has been stained. In addition to the fine craftsmanship throughout, of course.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  5:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, appreciate that!

Interesting thing about staining and then photographing the end results, some times in those photos it looks more redish and at other times bluish . . . in person it looks less like either.

example . . . of a bluish look

Takes some fiddling with the camera controls to get more of what I see with my eyes . . . or tweaking in Photoshop.

When I am done this project and it's time to take beauty shots, I'll make sure the colours look more like what they are like on the model . . . stained, and weathered like the prototype; or as close as I could figure.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Windows . . . the ones I bought for the tower turned out to be smaller than what was in the Prototype. Since the plans I drew up where designed according to the actual Coal Dock, I decided to make them to scale size, from scratch (or nearly so).

I began by cutting away half of a 6/6 Double Hung Masonry window and then gluing some thinly sliced bass wood to it with "extra thick" Cyanoacrylate. The bond is near instant.

In the image below I crafted the rest of the window frame out of several layers of glued layout paper and balsa . . . but here you see the back, slipped into the template window slit . . . just for fit.

The test fit looked good, you can see how thick the insert is . . . so I glued it into the Board and Batten tower.

And then it was time to put the tower together . . .

More later.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 08/16/2016 1:44:23 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  5:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, the tower & your refined window look great!
Nice looking photo's of your work once again.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  5:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I was having trouble getting good, consistent color from my digital camera until it occurred to me to play with the white balance setting. Voila!

Your windows are nicely done.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, Mike, thank you both!

The pictures just posted were taken with my iPhone, and touched up a tad in Photoshop (cleaned up the back-ground some, removing distractions).

These windows look a little rustic but that sort of suits the structure . . . in this model and as seen on the Prototype.

Once again, thanks for your comments and for taking a look.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, so now the windows for the Coal Bin gables . . .

It starts with cutting more mullions to fit the prototypes profile.

Then I frame it . . .

And after that's done I cut out a secondary frame out of 4 glued together layers of Layout Paper . . . stained with oil paint.

And then, install it . . .

I'll weather it up/paint it before adding the glass on the back.

Next!

The Coal Bin

This is the "shell" or frame upon which I will attache the single boards . . .

Some more views of this structure

From Above:

From Below:

Then we start the planking . . .

Of course it will get trimmed before moving on to the other side and then plank the face side which will overlap the side planks effectively hiding them. Not that this really matters because the support beams will cover all of that up anyway.

More later.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 06/28/2016 8:29:47 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  09:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, you continue to amaze me with your build!
Really a top notch documentation of the steps you are taking to recreate this coal dock from the past.
Please keep the steps that you are taking & photo's coming!

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  10:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, appreciate that!

So here is where I am at now.

Planking is done!

Next come beams . . .

Later

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  4:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In between work, I managed to move things along a little further on my build . . .

Glued the gables upon a floor structure, the gap between each gable matches precisely the width of the Coal Bin and a slight overhang.

Really do not like that red hue on the Bin, so I mixed up a batch of black India ink with some cobalt blue and of course rubbing alcohol . . .

Adding that mix neutralized the red but it made things a tad too dark, so a light sanding was in order!

I will show you the results after the next few images.

I began to focus upon what I call the crisscross beams . . . along the sides.

So off to work I went . . .

And then the test fit . . .

Could not resist it any longer so I test fit the entire thing . . . minus some support beams for the Coal Bin and a few other Accoutrements . . . like a roof!

Next!
Back to the details . . . The steps here show how I aligned each board with the help of a template.

I was following my drawings but also looking at the prototype/photo images, when I noticed the width of the boards and the spacing between them in my drawing did not match the photos . . . so I had to remove and adjust the second board from the top. I was using Cyanoacrylate glue which binds instantly but was able to lift it with minimum damage . . . still, it left some, but it looks like weathering . . . lucky break!

By the way, you can see here how nicely that red-ish hue is gone from the Bins planking. A light sanding and it looks wonderfully weathered . . .

I am glad I took the time to refer back to the photo’s otherwise I may have missed the board to the left along the crisscrosses . . . and the short wider board between two support beams next to it. That board wasn’t just wider it was also thinner than the support beams. Definitely would have missed that had I not been looking at the photos.

At the bottom, you can see I started adding in the angled floor supports to the coal bin.

Crazy little details to be sure, but I'm loving it!

That's it for now.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 08/15/2016 4:48:39 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  6:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I'm lovin' watching the excellent results.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

And I'm lovin' watching the excellent results.

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate that!

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, I've been wondering what's happened to you with this build.
Glad to see you return too work, on this coal dock!
It's looking better and better with each new piece added.

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Rapido Switch Stands Topic Next Topic: South River Model Works Kits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000