Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Page: of 12

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a creative technique. I'm looking forward to seeing how you work this.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  11:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Robert,
I'm just catching up on your fantastic build. The trestle looks super good. I look forward to seeing the storage bin arise above it. Very interesting handling of the board and bat siding. Looks like how I imagine a coal tower should look.

I almost forgot, What a beauty of a beast of machinery that engine is!

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  1:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That "peat brown" wash is an excellent idea.

dave

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  1:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kris, Thanks!
The kind of accuracy I'm after requires me to scratch build a good deal of it, so coming up with ways to make-it-so, means using the old imagination . . . which is a lot of fun.

Hey Bob, Thanks! Glad your enjoying my build!
Seeing that Locomotive upon those tracks is indeed a thing of beauty!

Not everyone however sees beauty in a Steam Locomotive. A few years ago I painted one going through the mountains, one of my Lady students saw it and said "Oh those mountains are so beautiful, and that river such a lovely blue . . . but UGH, that dirty, filthy, smokey machine, why on earth did you put that in there".

All in the eye of the beholder I suppose, ~chuckle~.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 02/23/2016 1:51:15 PM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  1:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a stroke of good luck, Dave.

I'd bought a bottle of it quite by accident a few months ago . . . I was scooping up "Nut Brown" which I used in the mix of colour for the ties and Bents. When I got home and opened the bag I found a bottle of Peat among the nuts

Sure came in handy though!

Robert Wanka

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artman

It was a stroke of good luck, Dave.

I'd bought a bottle of it quite by accident a few months ago . . . I was scooping up "Nut Brown" which I used in the mix of colour for the ties and Bents. When I got home and opened the bag I found a bottle of Peat among the nuts

Sure came in handy though!

I suspect a lot of good weathering/finishes are due to 'positive random influences'. But take credit for it anyway :-)

dave

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2016 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ran into Greg/Ensign/Shinnie at the Train Show in Kitchener last week, and he asked me why I'd gone silent on this forum . . . my answer, "life got in the way" and it was a long row to hoe with cutting and gluing a hundred or so Board & Batten together . . .

However, little by little, I got the job done!

After making these sheets of B & B, “to scale”, I measured up and cut some templates . . . from card stock.

It is great being at this point . . . finally!

I flipped the board over and traced the shapes on the back.

And then started cutting.

I was aware that some of the parts being cut would be rather flimsy if I did not glue on some bracing. Now the fact that one can see inside of the coal shed means I’m going to have to put in the stud work on the walls and the roof supports anyway, so here we go . . .

Here is the wall opening with most of the bracing in place, I have even added the exterior beams that hold up the ends . . .

More loose fitting . . . but with both wall openings nearly done.

I like this areal view point . . . the coal drop-zone inside of the Shed, you would never see this kind of inner structure again after it's all enclosed.

That's all for now, should have more available on this build soon . . . can't wait to get the Shed up and the tower built!

Now things are getting interesting

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 03/27/2016 08:39:40 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2016 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, nice to see you back at posting your progress, with your coal dock build!
Those handmade board & batten walls look fantastic!
And just for the record, I have found this build to be interesting right from the start.
Keep up the amazing work!

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  08:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg! Always appreciate your kind words.

When I first began this project . . . back in 2014, it was not my intention to make the model as detailed or as accurate to the prototype as my drawings had become. Now it is no doubt true that those drawings may indeed be missing out on "total accuracy", which could not be helped given the fact that the building no longer exists and photo references were limited. Nevertheless, once I embarked on making the drawings as detailed as I could . . . I sort of found myself wanting to do the same with the construction of the model.

Given the scale of this model, I have had to dial down some of the known details . . . but only some.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  4:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I have said before, this project gets worked upon when I have the time and the bulk of that time has been spent doing what I do for a living.

Still, I have, in the last week or so, done some more work on this project.

For instance . . . Here is my pictorial reference and evidence for what I observe is possibly a concrete structure I call the “Lift Chute”.

This obscure bit of business had me perplexed for a while . . .

But I think I've got it now . . .

The doors were never conceived of during the drawing design stage of what I call the “lift chute “structure. From my reference photos, it is just barely observable so I’ve had to improvise, and imagine what it is, and how it was used.

It (the lift chute) sure does not look like something made of wood but rather, has the texture of concrete.
So I have extrapolated from this; that the entire lift structure was most likely poured concrete upon which the Coal Shed was built around and the tower (which houses the lift mechanism) was built atop of.
I could be wrong, but that is how things appear to me.

Now as for the doors built into the concrete “Lift Chute”, I added these without any evidence that I could see or find . . . but, I surmised, they are needed in order to get to the tower lift mechanism and other inner parts of the coal bin.
I put doors on either end so that one could walk along the entire length of the “cat-walk” placed upon the trestle, which, if there was a hopper in place, would block any such passage unless you walked around the other side. That said, you would still have needed some kind of entrance to get to the tower innards and that could not be on the wide face of the “Lift Chute” because it would have been blocked by any hoppers in the Coal Shed, hence the doors placed on the side, rather than the front . . . just makes logical sense.

Here is an image with the walls of the Coal Shed glued in place, you can see the floor boards laid inside, opposite the lift chute . . .

THE CAT-WALK . . .
It extends along both sides at the entrance to the coal shed, but only on one side through the other side towards the sand bin.
So that means I had to bring the cat walk inside the coal shed . . . or at least raise the height of it even with the cat-walk.

Here are some pictures of that . . .

Now set in place . . .

I will be putting a goose neck lamp above the door seen here and the door on the other side.

Now to the other parts of the cat-walk

I had an idea of how to build the catwalk by using layout paper as the platform for the individual boards. By gluing down each board upon the measured out layout paper, I was able to easily get the result seen in the picture and get all those boards to glue down solid.

The layout paper is white and that won't do, so I painted the layout paper with Burnt Umber oil colour. The great thing about layout paper is that it takes oils well does not wrinkle or soak in and drys to a matt finish.

Next up, the cat walk support beams that are attached to the ties . . .

Came up with this idea . . . simple but effective, cut in half a strip of 3/32 inch thick balsa board and HO scaled the width to 2.5 feet (the width of the cat-walk).

Running the edge of that guide along the tie guards made for the precise alignment of the beams I was looking for.
Interestingly enough, I’d thought about how I would do this for some time now . . . months in fact; but not until I finally decided to begin doing it did the solution come to me in a flash of insight.

One thing I did not consider though was just how delicate and easily damaged this bit of the structure is. This bass wood looks nice but at this scale it is very fragile.
Putting on the railing will be even more fragile . . . that stuff is supper thin and delicate but I will not do that until the final fitting and gluing of the trestle to the Coal Shed and Sand House.

I left the cat-walk floor boards unglued to the support beams so I could adjust it later when I fit the trestle to the coal shed and sand bin/house. As it is shown here, it fits quite snugly.

more later . . .

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  6:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, nice to see this topic return again!
Nice work and explanations presented once again.
Your thoughts about the lift chute being a concrete component, with the wooden super structure being built around sound feasible.
I'm not certain about the man doors that you added to it. Don't the internal stairs that you have shown get in the way of those new door openings?.
And also, the lift chute in the real photo extends up through the roof of the coal shed,(giving you that little piece of concrete you see.) and looks flat at the very top of it.
Your model lift chute is cut at the same angle as the roof lines on the coal shed.
Why didn't you model it with that bit that sticks up past the coal shed roof line?
So that the this little concrete detail will be seen, like in the real photo?
Other than that... really fantastic looking work Rob!

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  8:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rob, nice to see this topic return again!
Nice work and explanations presented once again.
Your thoughts about the lift chute being a concrete component, with the wooden super structure being built around sound feasible.
I'm not certain about the man doors that you added to it. Don't the internal stairs that you have shown get in the way of those new door openings?.
And also, the lift chute in the real photo extends up through the roof of the coal shed,(giving you that little piece of concrete you see.) and looks flat at the very top of it.
Your model lift chute is cut at the same angle as the roof lines on the coal shed.
Why didn't you model it with that bit that sticks up past the coal shed roof line?
So that the this little concrete detail will be seen, like in the real photo?
Other than that... really fantastic looking work Rob!

Greg Shinnie

Those are great questions Greg!

I thought about all of those issues before I started building the lift chute as I did. At first I was going to extend it (the lift chute) above the roof line as seen on the prototype, but that would mean more fussing (either building the roof board for board and/or shooting for high precision cutting around the lift chute). That kind of detailing while nice, I feel, is not necessary . . . a guy has got to cut corners somewhere I suppose.

As for the doors, I have them opening up inwards and away from the stairs leading up towards the tower. I think that would have worked on the prototype . . . well, I hope that it would

Made and loosely set in place a pair of goose neck lamps over the doors . . . could use your help with the wiring later on . . .

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, you have learned my weakness.
All you need to do is add a light, and I forget all about your cutting corners.
I would be happy to give you a lesson in how to solder LED's for your nicely made goose neck lights.
Just let me know when you have some time to come on over and learn.

Greg Shinnie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  09:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, just one more thing that I thought of regarding the concrete lift chute.
If that chute was made from concrete, wouldn't the supporting structure below it also be made of concrete as well, in order for it to hold up the weight of the concrete above it?
(See photo below)
I'm now thinking that whole thing would have been made of concrete.
You are doing such a wonderful job of recreating this coal dock, so please don't take my questions as being critical of your work.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  11:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The build is looking Good. I love the Catwalk and it's railing. I too don't think the concrete would sit on a wood foundation but concrete would pickup grain from the form's wood but of course not its color.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000