Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rapido Switch Stands Topic Next Topic: South River Model Works Kits
Page: of 12

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  10:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! She's looking good

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do impressive work, Robert. I think the tie plates will really add to the dock and were worth the effort.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  09:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Your carpentry in miniature is very good, especially working around the bents. I always have to be "in the zone" to do anything close to the precision you achieved.

Yes, more light seems to be the key to seeing well as we get older according to my eye doctor.

Beautiful modeling. Thank you for the updates.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  10:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob thanks!

George, I wondered about that at first, whether or not adding those tie plates would be worth it . . . but I really like how it turned out, thanks!

Mike, thanks, appreciate the compliments!
I have been thinking about Board & Batten again . . . I will be working on the stuff I itemized in my last post, but today I briefly thought about what I was going to do for the Coal Shed, Coal Tower and gables atop the Coal Bin . . . all done with B&B.

Now this is just an experiment . . .
After a few runs with the saw, width tests, I cut me some Batten strips

Before I cut the 46 or so strips you see above, I did do this test fit with the width of choice . . .

Here is the subtle depth difference of the Batten to the Board . . .

I will be sandwiching the batten strips between each cut board and gluing them together . . . like I did with the Sand House. Difference being I won't be using card stock for the batten this time, it will be wood. Reason for the change? The card stock was hard to cut through as in it messed up the precision of cutting out a wall once the batten/card stock, was glued into the wood.

Before I do any gluing all the wood needs to be stained the proper colour, but what you are seeing above is just a dry run.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going to make the base for my Palmerston Coal Dock, out of 5/8ths plywood . . . why so thick? In a word, "warp", I want this to lay flat and true and I want it to be sturdy to protect, something like one of the reasons why one frames a painting.

Anyway, I wasn't pleased with the weight of plywood that thick . . . weight matters because if its to heavy it becomes a cumbersome thing to transport around. Could have used insulation foam but that's way to light. So I went for a Laminated Panel of Pine 3/4 inch thick 16 x 36 inches in width and length. Some of the hill leading up to the trestle, will be modeled, but only a bit of it.

Here are a few pictures . . . another test fit!

From these pictures you can't really tell how it sits on the "foot print" of 16 x 36, but I'm pleased with it . . . I'll be able to model a bit of the yard as well (two rail lines).

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  08:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, that looks very cool!!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  08:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Greg: very cool! It's already a very impressive model.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, Mike, Thanks!

When I began this project I knew very little about what constituted the Palmerston Coal Dock, knew nothing about Bents, Stringers, Catwalks . . .

But now I know things about the Palmerston Coal Dock (and buildings as such, in general) that are a shear delight to me!

Take the image above . . . those of you who followed this project when I was first gathering the information about it (in References, forum), might recall how I puzzled over that particular area.

And now it's not a puzzle any longer.

I am really looking forward to building the Coal Shed, Bin, and Tower, that will really flesh out this structure. That, along with the trestle, are what's most impressive about it!

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  2:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I nailed down the rails upon the trestle . . . well, actually I glued them down with Maxi-Cure Extra Thick Glue (cyanoacrylate).

Those small spikes that came with the tie plates from Proto:87, are so tiny I'm thinking perhaps "no" . . . we will see.

More shots:The "rail joiners" are noticeable though . . .

More . . .

Rail spacing is perfect! . . . something I was a tad worried about so I kept checking and rechecking with my HO NMRA Gage.

Okay, enough!

I'm happy with the trestle . . . I'll put in the NBW's along the wooden rail joiners and this bit of business is done!

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  10:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't taken a Beauty shot of this locomotive of mine, in some time. So I put it on the Trestle . . .

Those code 70 rails along with the tie plates really made a difference!

Okay, enough goofing around, back to building.

Robert Wanka

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  08:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Beautiful all around, trestle, locomotives. They really enhance each other.

Mike

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  09:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I think your right!

The only thing that takes away from the realism factor was the HO figure . . . but this fixes it!

Robert Wanka

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to checking out the latest on this build, Robert. What impresses me most isn't, surprisingly, the excellence of the build (and that is easily contest-winning quality).
It is, rather, the genuine fun you are having. It was obvious when you spoke about it when you showed me the work first hand last week. "Model Railroading is fun" is a slogan I've seen bandied about a lot over the years, but you are genuinely having some of that fun! Too many modellers get hung up on whatever detail bothers them. They worry whether it is good or not. They spend more money than they should. Is it "correct"?.... Well...you are setting your own (very high) standards, and doing exactly what you want, the WAY that you wish to do it. You listen to comments, but ultimately, you do it your way. The fact that you are off the beaten path, and doing modelling to a standard that no mere kit could ever reach is significant. You are a fine artist and painter, and a good one...but, one doesn't have to be. What you are doing is actually attainable by a lot of people...but they are afraid to try it. There's a lesson here....Instead of saying "That's too complicated"...or "I could never do that", more people should try doing some real fine modelling, instead of just pulling ready made stuff from a box and plunking it down on their layout. It IS doable. Many years ago, it was the ONLY way of doing it. Today, it's easier because of ready made details like your tie plates. Anyway...I ramble on here. But, more people should discover the real fun of scratchbuilding and modelling something that hasn't been done already!

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  12:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks Lance!
A good part of the enjoyment for me is in learning the processes, imagining the steps to be taken, taking them and getting good results!

My next build will be a kit, “Grimsby Station” . . . and I expect it will be an interesting challenge and just as enjoyable.

I really would like to build a roundhouse, complete with turn table . . . and the one I have in mind is the one that used to be in Palmerston . . . now that’s sure to be an interesting challenge.

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m bored of batten . . .

After the wash of A&I (Alcohol and black Ink), I thought that the wood still looked to flat, it needed something . . . so upon studying pictures of coal towers in colour, I decided to add a wash of Peat Brown.

This is the colour match I made according to what I saw in the photos . . . it is unfortunate that I couldn’t have looked at the actual Palmerston Coal Dock with my own eyes.
Each board will be cut out (as seen below) and the batten (A&I stained card stock) glued between them.

The board and batten (card stock . . . had to go back to card rather than wood . . . couldn’t get width consistency, with my saw, just to damned thin I suppose) is darker then the stained boards. In this picture the process begins, we have a glued batten between two boards and below that is the batten card stock on its side with an unglued board next to it.
There is a whole lot-o-gluing to do now as I manufacture the walls for my Coal Shed, Tower and Coal Bin gables.
The process of staining the boards was to brush on a fairly dark mix of Ink in alcohol, when that dried I gave it a light and uninform sanding. Then I Brushed on the Peat Brown let that dry and gave that a similar type of sanding. The idea is to lighten and weather it a bit before gluing on the darker flat black Batten.

Okay, all the staining and weathering is done . . . now into production . . .

The process . . . "Template". Glued a stiff brown card stock to 1/8 inch illustration board, then I glued down some scrape wood with a higher profile against which the ruler is placed. The result is a near identical width for each batten.

For the “Boards” I created a similar jig/template. It begins with placing my 1/16 inch thick stained and lightly sanded balsa board up against the card stock guide.

Then I place the ruler against the wood guides . . . and slice!

The result is a uniform width for each board . . .

Once enough pieces have been cut, I start putting it together . . .
Step 1: Dip one end of a board into a line of glue spread on paper . . . the idea is to get an even but not too thick bead of glue all along the edge.

Then press an unglued board edge into the board with glue on it . . .
Lift it away and set aside.

Then place a cut and stained piece of “batten”/card stock, between the two boards with glued edges.

Align and press together . . .
Use the template and the ruler to squeeze and press evenly for 30 seconds, then lift and clean up any excess glue that may have squeezed between the boards.

The result is a very fine finish . . . near exact dimensions of the prototype building, in “HO” scale.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 02/23/2016 2:08:58 PM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Rapido Switch Stands Topic Next Topic: South River Model Works Kits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000