Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Page: of 12

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  12:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Putting the Sand Bin Together . . .

In this close-up, you can see that I beveled/sanded the edges so that they would fit nice and tight . . . then I glued the brace piece.

Next came what I refer to as the "exoskeleton" or side beam braces.

I put a notch on one end to allow for a flush fit for my board & batten.

Which meant I had to adjust the upper beam support for the stringers on one end . . .

And that lead to making a slight leveling adjustment upon the outer beam by adding a shim . . .

With that glued down I test fitted some of that Board & Batten.

Like a glove

A Front view . . .

And side view . . .

loose fitting . . .

More later.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 12/22/2015 12:02:49 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  12:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  09:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, your work, and photography of, continues to impress.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  10:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pete, Greg,

I know I'm really focusing upon the tiny details of this build . . . in these here posts. I figured if I've got to suffer through them so should you

Seriously though, there is no suffering on my part . . . it's just fun . . . like today, before putting together the Sand House, I have to cut out the window and doors. As it turns out, the window could just as easily be an "over-the-shelf" item, but it can't be for the Coal Bin . . . which I won't be building for a while yet.

So the standard windows that you can buy, say something like this,

could be used for the Sand House because I'm making it up (no prototype pictures showing that side of the building). For all I know there may never have been a window there, or a door. But I'm guessing there was, so that's what I'm putting there and the window I decided upon using is the same kind on the Coal Bin . . .

Once I made up my mind to make it this kind of window, I sort of found myself having to manufacture it. I simply could not find any over-the-shelf windows that fit to order.

and so . . .

here is some of what I've done about it.

I took these 6/6 Double Hung Masonry window Mullions, and . . .

cut off the top

These match my drawing perfectly!

Measured and cut-out a window into some 1/16 of an inch balsa, and put the mullions into it.

Then, with a little care, I cut out some scraps I had laying around my work table, and glued the frame in place. Then I cut it all out.

A little staining and painting and I think this will work!

One thing for sure, it fits the drawing exactly!

More later . . .

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 12/23/2015 10:22:05 PM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  11:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So . . . window and doors, that's the job at hand.

But, I did not like that rather rustic looking window posted above (in my last entry), so here is what I did . . .

No, I did not cut out Styrene. What I did was remove the wooden frame then glued together 4 (2 inch by 3 inch) sheets of layout paper (the stuff I used to use long ago, when I was an Art Director and we used markers), glued them together with 3M Super 77 Spay Adhesive, drew up and cut out the shape to size upon what is now essentially card stock, checked the fit, then I painted it with "oil paint". That's right, I used my out of the tube artists oil paints. Layout paper takes this paint very well, drys fast with a nice mat finish, and best of all, it can be weathered, and even textured right away!

Did this with the door as well . . .

Cutting out the door frame . . .

I glued that paper frame down upon a piece of 1/16 inch thick balsa, cut & trimmed the wood back just a hair . . .

Now I have an overhang, a lip for a nice fit & finish . . .

Here are the results . . .

I may paint up the door and window frames darker, to match the Sand Bin . . . or I might not, we will see.

Here is the other side, with that rather small service door . . .

There are a few dips and imprecision's here and there but I suppose much of it can be hidden or adjusted when I mount this all down upon its base and add the landscaping.

One more point I want to make about that layout paper, you can glue together any number of sheets to craft whatever thickness desired!

The roof has to be applied to this part of the complex so here is what I began with . . .

And then a loose fitting . . .

other than the light gaps it looks good.

However, when I added the Trestle in yet another loose fitting, I found that the height of each does not fit as per my drawings. That means I'll have to "custom fit it" . . . which means I will have to put building the roof on the back burner for a spell while I finish the trestle (adding the rails) and the Coal-Drop-Zone (adding NBW's among other things) before I can put this all together . . .

Lots of stuff to do!

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 01/13/2016 11:11:15 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  5:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, if it's not one thing, it's another.
I do like that new layout paper door much better.
Just keep plugging away at it, and you will have a showpiece to be very proud of.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  08:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, I'm moving slowly but learning a lot as I go, not just about building HO scale things from scratch, but things about the steam era and in particular, Coal Docks. Kind of a multifaceted experience

Incidentally, I'd like some of your help when it comes time to add the lighting to this model. There isn't much of it, but still, I know you know your way around that particular specialty very well. So when the time comes I'd really appreciate your input there!

I painted the inside of the Sand House with a thick layer of acrylic . . . "Mars Black", so that there won't be any bleed through of light when I add it inside of the building . . . and outside as well, over the door. Not the small utility door, but rather the one beside the Window.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 01/14/2016 08:35:52 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, I would be glad to help you out with your lighting needs on this very fine model.

Greg

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  09:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming along nicely Robert. Thanks for the wonderful little tutorial on the creation of the door. Nice pictures along with the explanation of the process really helped. Again, thanks for taking the time to share the info. Looking forward to your next update.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  9:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kris, Glad your enjoying my little build.

I wish I could move this thing along a tad faster but work and family come first!

Today however I managed to spend a little time completing some loose ends.

The Planking of the Coal Drop Zone . . . I realize this area won't be seen unless you stick a tiny camera inside the Coal Shed, but my interest in attempting this kind of planking, was piqued by what I read in the May 1988 RMC magazine by Wayne Wesolowski, it was on "Building a Coal Tower".

So I stained a 1/16 inch thick by 7 x 2 inch balsa wood piece, and custom cut each board . . . gluing them delicately in place.

I know a lot of you fellas do this kind of thing all the time so it's not that big a deal. For me however, this is new territory and I wanted to see just how neat and tidy I could make it fit around those Bents.

Like a glove . . .

Now, a few NBW's on the outside Bents and this part is done . . . next loose end to finish-up, the Trestle tie-plates & rails.

Robert Wanka

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  10:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Again, this is seriously impressive! Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  2:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter, I appreciate that!

This build is as much a learning experience as it is anything . . . I'm exploring a little outside of my usual area of expertise (drawing and painting). However, this is sort of like sculpture, and that I do know a little about. This build is kind of like that, instead of stone and clay I'm working in wood and plastic. So I don't really feel like I'm totally out of my element!

Robert Wanka

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  3:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up with this thread.

Nice clean work on that floor and around the bents.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  4:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  9:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, Bob,

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your positive response!

I took care of, a few more loose ends.

All 254 tie plates have been glued down . . .

It was a glue/fest/jamboree . . .

These rascals are so tiny that my eyes would blur-out after a few minute. This only happened if I worked late at night, during the day, no problem . . . a symptom of age I suppose.

I'll have to clean-up some of the dried glue seen here and there, but in the main it looks good!

Here it is with with a test fitting of the rails.

I also tidied up the last little bit of business with the Coal Drop Area . . . NBW's and a few end beams, that sort of stuff.

I took these pictures with my iPhone and was pleasantly surprise with the quality . . . good lighting was a factor though . . .

Like the beat-up rustic nature of it!

Here are a few test "loose fitting"(iPhone shots) of the trestle and rails (no bents).

Next up, attache rail joiners, paint, and then glue and nail down the rails!

After that I may prepare the foundation . . . thinking 5/8th's plywood with a foot print of say 24 x 30 inches . . . or so. I'd like to get all the stuff I've built so far mounted down before I start work on the Coal Shed, Bin, and Tower.

That's it for now!

Robert Wanka

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000