Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co. Topic Next Topic: Disney Crane Photo
Page: of 14

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stick with this level of work and you're going to wind up with a contest-quality model.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  2:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kris, thanks!

James . . . Glad I studied the prototypes photos as I did and then drew it up with as much detail as I could stand.

I'm having a blast making this!
Thanks,

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  08:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I went through a similar process of deciding to use commercial board and batten for a car shop I have underway, and finding it pretty 'robust,' to use your word. I went ahead and used it but decided to construct the machine shop which is attached to the car barn out of individual boards. Last night I realized that the difference in wall thickness will pose a problem, but not insurmountable.

Sort of wish I had done as you did.

Looking nice!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike! Yes, I am pleased with the direction this is going in . . .

Speaking of which, I am of course still gluing down those tie-plates . . . but . . . doing a little of this on the weekend . . .

What you are seeing here is a drawing made in Photoshop (on the left), of the cement supports for my Palmerston Coal Bin. To the right are the supports done in Solidworks, which is 3D software used by Engineers for building everything from components in cars, robots . . . you name it! No, I did not hire someone to do it, I'm learning to do this myself.

An art student of mine (tool & die guy originally, now head of a bunch of Engineers and designers designing and making automated systems)is teaching me to use that program!!!

Needless to say, I feel somewhat blessed

The scale is in the size of the prototype, in other words, "size as".

In Solidworks, I've got it set-up to convert it to HO scale . . . which is important when you do this . . . 3D Printing!

No, I don't own it, but the same fellow who is teaching me to use Solidworks, dose! Here's a close-up of the action . . .

And an image of the real thing . . .

Okay, so the test piece turned out very well, but I need 12 of these . . . and in 12 minutes, or so, it was done!

On the Left is the RAW 3D result . . . on Medium mode. There is a "Fine" setting so it could be a lot smoother but I'm pleased with this for as you can see on the right, a little filing (the stuff is made of a plastic like substance), and one quick coat of primer . . . looks cement-like!

. . . now back to those tie-plates

Robert Wanka

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  10:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, your efforts to learn the new program has paid off nicely.

George

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George,

I'm thinking I just might be able to make a bunch of the smaller parts with a 3D printer for this build . . . like the coal chute.

Yes it could be built in a more traditional way but the prototype has rounded edges . . . that's going to be a tough one to fiddle with at this scale. I thought of doing it in brass, but my skill set there isn't up to the task.

So I'm hoping I can draw it up in Solidworks (which is only just beginning in these two drawings), and then print two of em nice and easy like

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 12/08/2015 5:58:50 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  10:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, are those left footings or right footings?
All of your computer drawings of this coal dock are so nice, I'm surprised that you aren't 3D printing the entire structure.
keep up your great work!

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  10:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg,

I think I'm on solid footing, saying they are neither left or right

There is something about making this out-o-wood that I think the 3D Printer won't be able to match. Maybe one day it will prove me wrong, but for now "hand built" using traditional materials for the most part (though tedious at times) is the way to go!

Robert Wanka

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting work.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  2:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shucks, it's just a little something I'm putzing around with in my man cave

But thanks, Kris,

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
During the week I glued (when I had the time) down more tie plates . . . I'm about half way done.

This weekend however, I did a little more work on the Coal Chute design, in Solidworks.

The 3D printer being used presently, has some limitations, one of which is how "thin" it can print . . . so we designed the thickness of the coal chute to be a tad more (2 inches) than prototypical.

After some sanding and painting I hope to have this looking much like the ones that were in Palmerston . . . i.e. rounded corners not square.

Just to get an idea of how tiny this is . . .

Robert Wanka

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  11:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thoose 3d parts are looking pretty good

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob.

When I can, I'm building component parts . . . in-between designing 3D parts and laying track tie-plates

Actually it's not painful at all . . .

So in regards to building parts my eye has been on the Sand Bin & House at the end of the Trestle.

Jig time!

Love the way that jig produces accurate results!

I thought about what Lance said regarding staining and using scribed boards vs. cutting each board out individually, staining and gluing them in place . . .

and getting this result . . .

Not bad, but I'm not convinced that a scribed sheet can't be made to look just as good . . . like each board is subtly differentiated from the next.

Here are some of the components I've been steadily building in the last while . . .

That first bent on the left is on the other end of the Sand-Bin, it's minus the angled supports so that I might be able to add a door from the Sand-House to the Sand-Bin, in it.

I'm finally done all my BENTS now!
Here is the line-up for the Palmerston Coal Dock, Trestle.

Oh, and I found a photograph (taken in 1956) to compare with one I took in 1991 of the Palmerston Station . . . with the subject of my interest, in the background . . .

That's it for now!

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 12/08/2015 09:15:54 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  09:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work on the bents, Robert.

George

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  6:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George!

Before I build any aspect of this structure I find myself taking great pleasure in considering the steps to be taken along the way . . . I know enjoying the process is an important part of the build, just never thought it would be this much fun!

Thanks for taking a look.

Robert Wanka

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co. Topic Next Topic: Disney Crane Photo  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000