Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Page: of 12

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  2:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artman

The President of Pixar Studio's Ed Catmull said in his book "Creativity INC", that "if you let them, some artists will keep polishing the brick and never get it done".

I've heard that same quote, with something more scatological than "brick".

dave

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  9:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well if it is a brick, or something other, I'll try to refrain from polishing and fiddling with it forever, chuckle ~

Thought I'd show you this "clutter" shot.

For those of us who love what we do on our workbench, even the mess looks, well . . . nice

The long dark beams/stringers resting on top of the coal drop area's Bents, won't be made out of three pieces of wood, which would make them more prototypical . . . in the interest of abbreviating some things, I cut these to the exact size (using Lance's table saw) and stained them.

A big thanks to Greg (Ensign) for his fantastically documented build of "Dome Oil Co."
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39820
Your advice and clearly spelled out steps Greg really helped me with what needed doing next!

If you want to know what I am talking about go to the link above.

And so . . . I needed to cut some angles so that the outer timbers of my Bents would lean in that characteristic way that they do . . . here is the set-up on the saw.

I glued a piece of the timbers support that was measured and cut to the proper angle, to a piece of oak/scrap wood. This, as you can see was blocked off to measure for the length of each leaning Bent beam. With the miter saw still at the proper angle, I then took the other end of the stained wood (which was about 2 feet long), and butted it up to the . . . I guess you can call it the jig.

Fit like a glove . . . and sawed it off to the correct length!

Another jig was cut out of card stock . . . just as the first Bent was under the coal drop zone. And I placed my cut timbers in it like this . . .

Here we have a bunch of cut pieces awaiting the jig.

Everything went together perfectly!

Now here is where all my hard work "drawing things up" began to pay off big time!

I taped together all my 8.5 x 11 inch printed drawings of my trestle areal view (all to the proper scale in HO), and laid out my Bents and Stringers!

I now have a super accurate template!

Yes, I know I still need to do some work on those Bents. Cross bracing needs to be added and of course the Nut's and Bolts as well.

The Trestle length from Sand House to abutment, measures in at 23 and 3/8 inches. This will be a diorama and I will add a little of the grass covered hill leading up the Trestle as well, so she's a long one!

That is all I have to show you for today.

Next up will be gluing ties to the Stringers . . . fun stuff!

I'll be on holiday for a week though, so this will have to wait until I get back.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 08/06/2015 10:43:22 PM

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  08:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoying this!
Looking great!
-Marty

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for tuning in Marty, glad your enjoying my little project

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  8:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back from holidays . . . and when I had some time, I worked upon the Trestle.

It wasn't hard to put together, but there was a lot of repetition

However, I am pleased with the results!

Like I have said before and it's quite clear in the image, the Palmerston Coal Dock trestle is quite long when you see it laid out like this!

Now I'm working upon the catwalk!

The railing parts are so small, I wasn't sure I could put it together . . .
But I cut out a template ~

And experimented a bit . . .

Tiny as all hell, but it worked!

Okay, so with the experiment a success I added stain and the entire thing fell apart

So I stained everything first . . . and tried it again.

It worked!

Now however I've got my hand full making 28 of these little devils

So back at it!

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  12:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, your doing a great job, not only with your build of this coaling dock, but also with describing the steps you are taking to do so.
I'm also glad that my Dome gas & oil build was helpful to you.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  1:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be tedious work, Robert, but it's well worth the effort - looking good.

George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  2:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You call that a messy desk? Ha!! THIS is a messy desk:

(Adding paper shingles to the mansard roof of the Cigar Factory)

And speaking of jigs, I did some jigs for the mansard dormers:

The bottom left jig sets the scribe for the scribe-and-snap plastic strips that form the dormer sides. The jig above that helps assemble the dormers using a (Tichy) window casting and two sides. The dormer gables and roof parts are laser-cut (top), and my test-build is in the center of the picture.

I'm always interested in seeing examples of jigs and fixtures!

dave

Edited by - deemery on 08/25/2015 2:09:07 PM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  11:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg!
Iím moving it along nice and slow, thinking, planning, occasionally looking at how others go about it. But still I find myself making mistakes. For instance, I should not have put those tie guards on yet . . . I want to add track tie plates to my trestles ties and then hand lay the tracks fastening them into place with spikes.
It would have been a snap laying a metal ruler down on those ties flat, in order to line things up but now Iíve got two options, remove the tie guards (and risk damaging the ties), or coming up with a jig to save the day . . . Still mulling over that one.

Hey George,
I stretched the whole exercise out over 4 days, making them whenever I had a moment or two. So it was relatively painless, completed the last one yesterday.

Hi Dave,
Man you are right, yours looks a lot messier, chuckle!
I have to admit I staged mine a tad . . . I could not stop myself from lining up the pencil, tweezers and knife before taking the shot, the German in me just had to have some kind of order.

Like you, I am also interested in what methods/jigs/templates, people come up with in order to fashion the end result. Jigs are the unsung heroes without which I canít imagine getting the accuracy needed!

Iím interested in your paper shingles . . . lord knows I might be employing something like it when I go about building the witch hats . . . and the rest of the roof on my Grimsby Station Build (not yet commenced).

Presently I am knee deep in coal dust with my Palmerston build.

Robert Wanka

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shingles (visible on the left side of the "messy desk" photo) are the Northeastern Scale Lumber paper slate shingles, in the "slate gray" color :-) I special-order these unassembled, they come in a laser-cut 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, so I can do the long shingle runs on large buildings. They're not cheap, but I get great results, particularly after weathering them with chalks/powders.

Here's the fishscale shingles on the tower:

No weathering on these, they're "right out of the box" and the streaky construction paper they use for the shingles looks pretty good to start.

dave

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  9:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, those shingles look great!

I have not looked at the shingles that come with the Grimsby Station kit, but I know I'm going to want a great result like what you've got going there!

On another note, I did this little test with the code 70 rail I want to spike to the Palmerston Trestle . . . Tie Plates or No Tie Plates?

The plates in the picture are my home-made attempt to simulate them. Thin basswood painted with Floquil RUST (which is yellowish) & a little Testors RUST (which is redish).

Personally, I really like the way these plates up the realism factor here!

Got to have them!!

And so . . . I ordered Tie Plates on-line from Monster Modelworks . . . which have pre-drilled holes for spiking.

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  9:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, I think you should use tie plates for sure.
And I just went to check out the Monster Modelworks tie plates, to compare to your homemade ones.
And I'm calling Monster the tie plate winner!
Sorry!

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  10:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree Greg, my test Tie Plates aren't as good . . . and just now I ordered some more but these are from "The Proto:87 Stores". Theirs are made of etched nickle silver . . . bought some "Joint Bars" as well, also made of etched nickle silver.

So we will see whose looks best! Monster Modelworks or The Proto:87 Stores.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 08/27/2015 10:42:48 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  11:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rob, sounds good! I'm guessing that they will both end up in a tie.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 08/27/2015 11:50:16 PM

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  12:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somehow...I knew you'd go for the tie plates! With the extreme accuracy you love, it would be false economy not to do it. You're probably in "Proto 87" land now!

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower Topic Next Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000