Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 145 ]  [ Total: 149 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Justice City Diorama Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 17

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  7:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sweetness and light!! . . . chuckle~

Bernd, In all seriousness that was a great suggestion . . . I tried it out and it worked like a charm!

Thank you!

I puzzled over how I was going to build this particular piece . . .

I call this the . . . wait for it . . . 'Fulcrum Chute Lift Mechanism' . . .

Whatever, I couldn't find anything like it on the internet so I gave it a name.

Well, as I was saying, I was puzzling over it when I went to bed a few nights ago and in the morning I had an idea.
Using the tools laid out here, and some

I did this . . .

I then glued it to a secondary brass piece I had made months ago.

And here are the results . . .

I'm glad that worked out as imagined

More later!

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 10/30/2017 7:45:09 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  8:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, your FCLM looks AOK!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  9:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rob, your FCLM looks AOK!

Much more of this and we're going to need a glossary.

The results certainly look good.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  9:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, I like that, FCLM . . . Yea!

Mike, we have the FCLM added to that glossary

Just a quick snap-shot

And there you have it! The FCLM . . . . Fulcrum Chute Lift Mechanism. The shafts are made of piano wire; a very tough metal many grades more resistant to bending then brass. Originally I wondered if these might be built of wood or plastic . . . but I knew they would be much to flimsy and damageable.

I'm now wracking my brain on the what and how of adding string?/chain?/wire?/ to this contrivance

But for now, I'll start gluing the pieces onto the model!

Robert Wanka

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  08:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad that little tip worked out for you. Sure makes it easier to form brass parts.

Great work on those little details. Makes for a great looking model.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  2:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy good. I am enjoying this.
ed

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  7:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Previously on ‘Building The Palmerston Coal Dock’ . . .

I was talking about the type of string, chain or wire I might be using for the coal chute and other rigging for the FCLM as well as the ‘sand boom’.

There are a number of wire gauges I will try out, but I saw, and purchased these items I hope to make some use of. I’ll let the picture below speak for itself . . . if I actually use any of these things it will be documented.

The fish hooks are a different matter altogether, I was interested in the wire loop at their ends.

These may prove useful on the coal chutes . . . yet to be determined.

But for now . . .

I went to work on the coal door lift . . . besides painting it, I decided to glue down some of this . . .

Using some Elmer’s glue and water, I tried it out . . .

Seemed to work, glued down nicely.

However, when I tried it in the coal chute door it did not work out so well . . .

It is dry but not flat or Matt . . . damned, it is shinny. I’ll have to use some dull coat on it . . .

When I go to glue down anything more, like ballast, grass and whatnot, and more coal around the Coal Dock, I will be using this stuff.

Live and learn . . . I suppose I could fuss with the water to Elmer’s glue ratio but I’ll go with this and see how it works out . . . kind of expensive though.

Before the catwalk can be glued down I have to zero in on how high up the Bin it is mounted . . . not a big deal considering the accurate drawings I did. Except that I discovered a discrepancy of 3 scale inches in the ground to floor beam ratio model vs. drawing . . .

17 feet on the model but 16.3 feet on the drawing . . . lucky for me, everything else dimensionally works out perfectly, so all is well! I know these are minor issues that one can easily work around when your custom making things, but I went through great pains in those drawings to capture the visual accuracy of the prototype that I might transfer onto the model (within reason).

Mission accomplished, so far.

Here are some pictures of the coal chute bracket in place (at bottom of metal plate), and a test fit of the chute.

Okay, so next came this contrivance, the Sand Bin hose storage, connection thingy . . .

Using an X-ACTO knife, I cut out some of the boards in the Sand hose storage bin. Then I cut out a brass plate that fits over the cut out area. Next comes painting, gluing of this piece and the swivel chute door.

Painted and test fit . . .

My work bench was a mess after this bit of work; actually it’s been a mess before that . . . so I cleaned things up a bit.

Okay, so back to the ‘string/wire’, conundrum.

Using fishing line, I pinched one end of it with plyers and got a nice result!
Tried the same thing with brass wire . . . (on the left) . . . not so good. It is the kinking that kills me.

This is the “Goldilocks” syndrome . . . the fish line (as thin as I can get) is to thick . . . while the brass wire is thin enough, but it’s to wobbly and easily kinks

You will have to excuse the disjointed nature of this post . . . I've got a lot to consider given the level of finish (at the Photographic level) I'm shooting for here. I'm letting you in on all the thinking and experimenting I'm doing because I think it is something akin to what takes place when painting a picture or doing a drawing . . . the processes of working through it are important

And I thought if I have to suffer so should you . . . chuckle

More later . . .

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  8:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Rob! That was a photo packed update!
Your work on this coal dock continues to impress, even with that 3 inch discrepancy.
I would have never noticed it, without you pointing it out to me.
Have you thought about using the magnet wire that we use for our lighting, as a possible solution for the chute wires?
The stuff is strong, and you can paint it, just a thought.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  9:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, yes, I have thought about using the magnetic wire . . . it's very thin and it may be just what the Doctor ordered for the fine rigging on one part of the sand boom.

thanks,

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  5:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I added anything more to this build . . .

Just to let you know I have not abandoned this project, or finished it either. But my focus of late has been elsewhere . . . YouTube video coming up soon showing me sculpting a reconstruction of the Great Sphinx. Yea, I know, not -on-topic-

So here is something relevant . . .

Funny how things become noticeable to you all of a sudden; I was fawning over my newly made Chute plates, pulley's and rails, when it dawned upon me that they looked too new, to clean.

Why I failed to notice this before I can't say.

I've heard that a little diluted India Inc can dirty things up nicely but I did not know how the painted pieces would react to it . . . so I gave it a try.

The results were just what I was after!

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 10/22/2018 2:55:36 PM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  5:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a shot with some of the parts put together.

Weathered and glued down the joint plates as well.

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  5:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, nice to see you posting to this thread again!
I just assumed that you would eventually weather those coal chutes further down the road.
I can't wait to hear about your adventures with the Sphinx.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  7:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

The weathering of the chutes looks great.

Your decision to create a model of the Sphinx is certainly a riddle at this point.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  2:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, Mike, Thanks guys!

I’ve got the build sitting right next to my computer . . . and drawing table, two places I’m at a lot. So it’s never out of my mind. What has kept me away from ‘getting-at-it’, was an art show I had earlier this year in where I completed a bunch of paintings dealing with an LRT system being installed in the City of Kitchener & Waterloo. Turned the entire project into a look at those two cities transit history . . .

Some of those paintings

Bought a model ‘Bus’ (reference) for that series of transit paintings . . . had to share this with you because it dovetails with my build.

Well, it sits beside it ~chuckle

As for my present project . . . off topic but I'll share this study sketch with you.

I'm talking 'reconstruction' not a sculpture of it as it looks today; basically beat all to hell. One thing though, I'm using the methods I honed while creating the drawings for the Palmerston Coal Dock build. Studying as many photos of it I can find. Looking closely, analyzing as well as studying Egyptian sculptural styles so I can put the nose back on it and it won't look like something from modern times. This will be the most accurate reconstruction done of this famous sculpture ever (I know, I've scoured the internet . . . nothing like what I am doing has been done)] . . . well, I won't bore you with the details right now. I will let you know when it is up on YouTube, it will be multiple episodes detailing my analysis and processes.

You guys are the first to see, and know about this little project.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 10/26/2018 6:19:24 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  5:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the thing-a-ma-gig, a, I mean the Fulcrum Chute Lift Mechanism. Good engineering on that. It came out terrific. The tower is coming out really sharp and super detailed.
I enjoyed your sketching too. Didn't the Egyptians favor long faces?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Justice City Diorama Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000