Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Window Panes with Canopy Glue - A Trick Topic Next Topic: Sierra West The Shipyard HO build
Page: of 17

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  08:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bernd

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, beautiful detail! You are doing such a fantastic job with this coal dock.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  10:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, Chuckle, 'the green glow'!

Bernd, Thanks for your interest!

Greg, As always my friend, I'm amazed by your lead . . . watching your Fine Scale Miniatures, build!!!

Thanks a lot guys!

Oh by the way, I did this little test fit last night . . .

Just a loose fit . . . getting me excited about painting it.

Here is another image I did not show yet . . . I've got it in my head to make the chutes functional . . . so I put in a pin (copper wire), upon which the chute will swivel.

I will bend the ends of the copper wire in so that the assembly becomes operational.

Now that may all go by the wayside when I start wrapping my head around the cables attached to the ends of the Chute and over the pulleys and connected to the counter weights . . . have no idea how I'll be doing that without the cable appearing wobbly.

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 10/09/2017 11:43:13 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Bob'..excellent!!!!

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  2:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The intricacy of your work is fabulous! This thread is a wonder to follow. Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Dave

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, Dave, Thanks for taking a look and your kind words!

So I did a little painting . . . and I settled on using oil paint. The type, Humbrol Matt Enamels & Testors . . . again a Matt finish.

At first I applied the paints with a brush . . . but that did not give me what I wanted, looked like some kind of Hippy psychedelic motif . . .

So I got out my handy air brush and touched it up . . . the results seen below (did a little chalk work for weathering, but the rust colours where painted on)

I did paint the pulley track and of course the metal bracing plates . . . as can be seen in the picture above and below.

and a couple side view close-ups (all of this is still in a 'loose fitting mode', not glued down yet!)

That is it for now . . . more later!

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 10/17/2017 10:30:38 AM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  11:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Looking closer at the Prototype pictures I realized the ‘two plank’ catwalk was reduced to one plank, where the coal chute was attached to the Coal Bin wall. In the pictures above you can see where I cut out that second plank.
The last photo shows the underside of the catwalk and the rust painted Beams that hold it all up and together.

And here is how it looks from 'ground view' looking up at the Coal Dock.

By the way, if you look closely, you will notice two tweezers used to keep the pulley rails pressed up against the insides of the beams on either side of them . . . just means I haven't glued all of this in place yet.

I like to dry fit as much as possible before I commit!

Funny how I missed that little detail when I was drawing up the plans . . . thankfully I keep looking at the prototype pictures while building this model; I'm catching all kinds of little details like this.

Look at the images below and see the path of the cables, which I tinted in Photoshop so they would be easier to follow.

Those cables are attached to the 'chute hinge/valve' and since that hinge or valve is close to the bin wall, they must pass through the catwalk floor. The removal of the second plank at this juncture was necessitated for the clear function of this device.

Makes sense to me, so that is how I built it in the model.

More later . . .

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 10/16/2017 12:15:42 AM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  10:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, That is some very nice clean work. Well done. One can tell an artist has done it.
ed

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  10:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed,
It is tough getting the precision I'd like, at this scale. But I'm having a blast trying!

So I moved the ball down the field a little further last night . . .

I removed all the parts you saw earlier (they will get glued down later). The red arrows show what was added last night, floor boards some of which where missing on the prototype so I did the same with the model, (brass sand bin door hose storage bin . . . that's a hell of a title ) was not glued in place.

That door swivels outwards from which a bunch of hoses come out . . . sand hoses, chuckle.

This first go at it does not fit as it should . . . I think the door has to be narrower and shorter. I did that this morning but can't show it to you yet, have to go teach an art class now.

More later.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 10/17/2017 10:33:35 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  12:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Excellent attention to detail is producing an excellent model.

It's only make-believe

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  11:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob! You know I wasn't going to go quite this detailed with the build. I went wild with the drawings but the model I thought should be less so . . . but then I started building and one thing led to another and before I knew it I was going board for board with the prototype.

Well, it's not exact, but as close I can stand to make it

A little work was done these past few days (but very little). Still here it is . . .

Adjusted the length and breadth of this piece of business, meaning I measured and cut out a new one. This is that 'Sand Bin Hose Swivel door' thingy I showed you earlier.

Next came the 'Sand Boom'

I'm liking how easy it is to work with brass . . . at least for simple things like this.

All right, that's it for tonight.

More later.

Robert Wanka

Edited by - Artman on 10/20/2017 11:20:01 PM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, Once you took that first step down the road, no turning back.
Great work.
ed

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  1:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, that looks so good, you better be careful not to get sand in your eyes while working on it.

Greg Shinnie

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  10:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed, Thanks, and very true, there is no going back, ~chuckle . . . I’m just hoping I don’t pull a trick Ed Catmull’s (President of Pixar and Disney Animation) warned against in his book ‘Creativity, Inc.’ . . . “artists without deadlines will polish a brick forever!” I really don’t want to make this project my brick.

Thanks Greg, yes indeed . . . despite what I just wrote to Ed, if I could I’d have real sand flowing out of this thing . . . might just be a tad difficult at this scale though.

Earlier I alluded to how easy it was to work with brass . . . on something as simple as this 'Sand Boom'.

Simple or not I thought I'd show the steps I took to create a swiveling sand boom . . .

Vice grips and a regular heavy duty plier . . .

With which I pinched one end of a brass rod

Because of the tread on the Vice grips I had to flatten them out a bit with the inside flat of the regular pliers . . .

It wasn't perfect so I worked it a bit with a file . . .

Flattened and rounded I drilled a hole into the middle.

The assembled parts . . .

The flat brass piece was included (a first attempt rejected for a couple of reasons not the least of which was that the drilled holes where off center) so you can see how I cut, drilled and then bent the coupling into shape.

And there you have it!

I suppose that this kind of process in scratch building stuff is not all that new to most of you fellows, but if one or two of you where wondering, I thought I'd show how I did it.

That's it for now.

Robert Wanka

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  08:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I've been following silently. I'm amazed at this project from design to where you are at now. Excellent work.

A little tip on working with brass. If you heat the brass to a dull red it will soften it. The brass is usually half hard. When softening it you can flatten the brass easier, such as your swivel sand boom.

Nice job, can't wait to see it completed.

Bernd

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: HO Window Panes with Canopy Glue - A Trick Topic Next Topic: Sierra West The Shipyard HO build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000