Railroad Line Forums - Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Plans needed for Texaco Station kit by Micro-Scale Topic Next Topic: 2017 FineScale Expo Videos
Page: of 15

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  09:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, I just went back and reviewed this entire thread over a second cup of coffee. This is a great model and I appreciate all the modeling tips given over the course of the build.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  1:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Excellent modeling work going on here. One suggestion on those brass (metal plates) is to drill out a hole and add NBW castings. Would really add to that fine structure have been building.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  1:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Robert, I just went back and reviewed this entire thread over a second cup of coffee. This is a great model and I appreciate all the modeling tips given over the course of the build.

Thanks Bruce,
Glad you’re enjoying the minutia in building things like this . . .

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  1:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Robert,

Excellent modeling work going on here. One suggestion on those brass (metal plates) is to drill out a hole and add NBW castings. Would really add to that fine structure have been building.

Bernd

Bernd . . . interesting that you should suggest that! Last night, just before I fell asleep, that idea came to mind!

Thanks!

Robert Wanka

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  9:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artman

Bernd . . . interesting that you should suggest that! Last night, just before I fell asleep, that idea came to mind!

Thanks!

You're welcome. ESP?

Bernd

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  11:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just such outstanding modeling. Not to mention all the tips along the way.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  4:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

This just such outstanding modeling. Not to mention all the tips along the way.

Thanks Jerry, Really appreciate that!

Robert Wanka

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  11:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brass 'shim stock' in various thicknesses is offered by K&S, and can usually be found at good hardware and automotive stores.

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Brass 'shim stock' in various thicknesses is offered by K&S, and can usually be found at good hardware and automotive stores.

Thanks James, good to know! This was my first experience with Brass'shim stock'and I'm liking the way it handles.

There is no doubt I'll be trying out different thicknesses eventually. My present issue is cutting it without curling. The foil I have presently is simple to flatten but I imagine the heavier gauge won't be.

No doubt that means I will have to acquire the right tools for the job . . . will look in to it.

Robert Wanka

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  1:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artman

quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Thanks James, good to know! This was my first experience with Brass'shim stock'and I'm liking the way it handles.

There is no doubt I'll be trying out different thicknesses eventually. My present issue is cutting it without curling. The foil I have presently is simple to flatten but I imagine the heavier gauge won't be.

No doubt that means I will have to acquire the right tools for the job . . . will look in to it.

Robert, look in the weatherstripping area as brass is used to seal doors.
An excellent build!

Edited by - railmus on 11/02/2016 1:53:57 PM

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  6:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

[/quote]
Robert, look in the weatherstripping area as brass is used to seal doors.
An excellent build!
[/quote]

Thanks John, I will do that!

Robert Wanka

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  3:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I've done a little more (and I mean a very little) on my build.

The "Fascia"

Yea . . . glued it down

. . . and glued down some inner supports to get the wobble and warp out of the paper.

Thing was, I used carpenters glue on one of those supports and that was a no-no. Though this layout paper (several layers glued together) won't warp while applying oil paint, it will warp if any kind of water based product touches it.

Note to self; don't do that again

Now then, after all of that, I found some lifting going on . . . which meant I had to go to the . . .

I keep a log, on everything I do in this build, and the Art Director in me likes to create these nice little logos . . .

Anyway, a little Cyanoacrylate glue placed delicately into place, with a little press down and here are the results.

Now I will leave you guys with this one last beauty shot for this year . . .

Of course there is a lot more to do on this build but this is probably as far as I will get for what's left of this year.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Cheers!!

Robert Wanka

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rob, at our age now we must fascia the facts, lifting is much better than sagging.
The lifting might be the result of more humidity in your house in the winter.
Do you have a humidifier on your furnace?
Anyways you seem to have quick fixed it.
I love the last photo!
The Palmerston Coal Dock lives again! In HO scale.

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year to you Rob and your family!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  6:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Better coal in your dock than coal in your stocking.

It's looking great.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  7:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice and neat build Robert. Watched it grow from the research stage to this stage is inspiring. It would be neat if this could be turned into a kit by a major kit manufacturer.

Merry Christmas to you to.

Bernd

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Plans needed for Texaco Station kit by Micro-Scale Topic Next Topic: 2017 FineScale Expo Videos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000