Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR vol 7
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR vol 7
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 25 Topic Next Topic: Water Tower
Page: of 30

ScottyB
New Hire

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  10:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been very quiet on this particular board but I follow Troels on Facebook. Not only is the work amazing but your layout area is nearly identical to mine so I always envision what I can put there. My problem is I get frustrated too soon and I tear down and rebuild, never getting past track laying but I'll get there! I've been sidelined now with my son's N scale interest but when I need inspiration I find Troels and Robertson my go to websites. So thank you Troels. I hope you keep posting.

Scott

Gary from kent
New Hire

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  3:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening Mr Kirk,

Since I stumbled on your masterpiece, I have been rationing myself to five pages a day at work as a break, whenever I get a chance. And here I am at the end of my journey after a year of quiet enjoyment. I wish I could convey what great pleasure your work evokes. My 2019 project is to start again at volume 1 and take notes. And also to find that painting DVD you published several years ago. Your fine detailing doesn't translate to my N gauge New England, but the central message that the gestalt of the scene is the most important driver has been well absorbed.

Thank you for your time, your photography and your artistry. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Gary

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  03:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words and interest, Gary! Unfortunately I haven't had time and energy to do much the last few years, including a new edition of the DVD, but haven't given up continuing either!

Many modelers I have encountered use an enormous amount of time considering, researching, planning and replanning. I believe in getting things done if there is an opportunity, correcting faults as they appear and learning by doing. And I don't give a f... about all these "rules" many seem to be under. This hobby is for the pleasure of creating stuff, not a job!

When I moved to Sweden I realized that the demand for my paintings (I am a professional artist) would be low for the first years, before I got established. So I rushed into building the Coast Line RR in that interval. As hoped, the demand has increased a lot, so now I couldn't have built the layout if I wanted to...

I made an N-scale layout many years ago... love that scale, but scratchbuilding is difficult... but the Copenhagen Fields layout proves it can be done very nicely!!
Have fun and go modeling!!

Troels

I
quote:
Originally posted by Gary from kent

Good evening Mr Kirk,

Since I stumbled on your masterpiece, I have been rationing myself to five pages a day at work as a break, whenever I get a chance. And here I am at the end of my journey after a year of quiet enjoyment. I wish I could convey what great pleasure your work evokes. My 2019 project is to start again at volume 1 and take notes. And also to find that painting DVD you published several years ago. Your fine detailing doesn't translate to my N gauge New England, but the central message that the gestalt of the scene is the most important driver has been well absorbed.

Thank you for your time, your photography and your artistry. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Gary

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Edited by - kirk on 03/08/2019 03:31:44 AM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  4:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Troels. I do very little planning or research. Mistakes are just opportunities to redo something a different way. After all we are making fantasy worlds so anything is possible.

I've lost so called friends because I was apparently doing something wrong. Or more correctly 'their way'.

Just remember to have fun. And if research is a part of that fun then have fun doing the research.

bruce

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  04:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you say what I forgot... how you practise this hobby is entirely up to your own preferences. I would never, ever judge anyone doing thing another way than mine! Sadly I have also encountered people who think their way is the only way, both in the model railroad sphere and in the art world. I have thick skin and would never try to change, but some modelers never dare to go their own way, fearing the ridicule of those in the know...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  08:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Bruce, you say what I forgot... how you practise this hobby is entirely up to your own preferences. I would never, ever judge anyone doing thing another way than mine! Sadly I have also encountered people who think their way is the only way, both in the model railroad sphere and in the art world. I have thick skin and would never try to change, but some modelers never dare to go their own way, fearing the ridicule of those in the know...

Well said!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  8:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels I've come across folks who 'know better' in many fields. I gave up trying to understand them long ago. My photography is 'different'. I know that. But it never ceases to amaze me the number of folks who tell me it's not 'real' photography. I never pretend it is. But ...... but I've sold or licensed around 5 million prints. So I guess someone must think I'm doing it the 'right' way. https://500px.com/brucetreloar
Modelings the same. Do your own thing and if other appreciate it then great. Forget those who think otherwise.

bruce

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  1:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At last a little life again, after seven months of total idleness.

The shed is alive... with the sound of cleaning....

A couple of days ago, we cleared out a car load of junk, foam, masonite and dried up paint and glue bottles from under the layout, and removed the various pieces of black fabric hanging below part of the layout to conceal the junk...;

Today I have swept the floor of the train shed, and begun to install a 27 meters long new, black molton skirt beneath the layout! Already looking much nicer#128526; Tomorrow we have a dutch visitor of the narrow gauge kind. He will be the first to see the new, elegant look... I'll post a photo or two when all is done.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Edited by - kirk on 06/13/2019 1:58:53 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  1:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you, Troels! Looking forward to new photos.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a winner!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  9:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait for progress pictures.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  04:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised... some shots of the new layout skirt I will actually install a little work table out there as well... now who is the optimist

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  05:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The skirt looks very sharp; it shows off your layout beautifully.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  07:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gives your layout an elegant, yet also non distracting edge.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  10:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can see by your car cards that the "International" language of On30 operations is English!

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 25 Topic Next Topic: Water Tower  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000