Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR vol 7
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR vol 7
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Shay replacement gears Topic Next Topic: Bachmann shay replacement gears
Page: of 28

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, I have a DVD I'd be willing to sell you.
Check your PM.

As you think, so will you be.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  1:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan SRRL

Having just learned of Troels fantastic works I wanted to obtain a copy of his DVD. Sent a mail to Troels and he informed me that they are all sold out! Great for him and others but not so good for me. If anyone knows where I can get a copy please let me know.
I have read thru all the chapters and do have a question on the basic building and painting procedure. For doing clapboard siding do you select a colored paper, cut it to size attach it to the tape and then paint or do you paint the paper first then cut then apply?
Thank you
Alan

Alan, I paint the paper with a natural sponge first, cut it to strips and apply them to the structure. I had to stop using carpet tape, as it lost the grip here and there after a year or two... so I use fast gripping wood glue. Finally I apply some extra weathering to the finished structure...

Have fun!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Alan SRRL
New Hire

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  2:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,
Thank you for the procedure! When I went shopping for paper and paint the other day I came across this tape. 3M #924. Shop owner said thay have been using it for years for mounting paintings to mount board with no issues. Thought i would give it a try.

Scotch® ATG Adhesive Transfer Tape 924 quickly and permanently bonds a wide variety of materials including uncoated and coated paper, card stock, paper board, matting, lightweight fabrics, foils, flexible plastics and foam board. Offering high adhesion and excellent UV resistance, it easily bonds to difficult, varied and textured surfaces, including areas with high humidity and sunlight

We will see!
Alan

Alan SRRL
New Hire

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a relative idea on what the height is for single and two story builds would be or do you just sort of wing it when laying out your buildings.
Alan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, I used a 3M adhesive transfer tape - not sure if it is #924 - to attach a styrene strip to metal and it has stayed in place with a fair amount of handling. A release paper might help you align your clapboard strips. Once the adhesive makes contact it grabs and trying to peel it loose from paper may be very difficult.
It might be overkill for that application.

Some glue sticks go on smoothly, don't warp paper and hold very well.

A thinned glue like Aileene's Tacky Glue, Weldbond, Titebond, or similar applied sparingly would also work

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/04/2018 6:24:42 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  7:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan I pretty much wing it. Using 8ft ceiling heights. will give you a 'close enough' idea. IMHO being slightly under scale is better. In O scale full measurements sometimes can give a building tat is to bulky and dominant.

bruce

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  6:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[bump] i just hate the thought of the coast line rr evaporating into oblivion (i.e. not on the pages available from the front page. today there were 2)

any shed time lately troels?

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  12:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

[bump] i just hate the thought of the coast line rr evaporating into oblivion (i.e. not on the pages available from the front page. today there were 2)

any shed time lately troels?

Thank you, Kevin, for the habitual kick in the arse
Not much to tell... but I was out there measuring for ordering some black cloth for skirts all around. Plan is to get the thing prepared and cleaned for an open house show.
And I have been spending a minute here and there on possible track plans for a new layout.... ever the optimist[:bigeyes2]
Even been considering whether to change scale next time....

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO not a new scale. That would certainly be some kind of a sin wouldn't it?
But I agree. Sometime a change is all it take to rekindle the flame. For me I think that flame would flicker brighter if I made a 'theme' change. I like what many folks in the UK are doing and English narrow gauge looks very tempting.

Either way we look forward to what you decide to do.

bruce

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  01:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucet

NO not a new scale. That would certainly be some kind of a sin wouldn't it?
But I agree. Sometime a change is all it take to rekindle the flame. For me I think that flame would flicker brighter if I made a 'theme' change. I like what many folks in the UK are doing and English narrow gauge looks very tempting.

Either way we look forward to what you decide to do.

bruce

My flame doesn't need rekindling, really... I ran out of time and energy taking care of my art profession. Painting the way I do takes a lot of time, so with increasing demand, thankfully, modeling and fly fishing sadly lost
That said, just as I love to change subject matter in my art to avoid being in a specific category, it would perhaps be fun to work in a smaller scale to make big landscapes a priority.. or a larger, for that matter, to make detailing a priority (don't think so ) . But I love the balance of affordability, detail level and oomph of On30, so time will tell...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  04:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever you do I'm sure you will have a lot of folks looking over your shoulder.
Good luck.

bruce

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  4:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels, Oh No... thinking of changing SCALES stick with us On30 modelers don't jump ship

ScottyB
New Hire

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  9:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've loved following along with Troels over the years. Bought the DVD way back when. I've studied every photo I can (I'll never come close to that talent!) But I get the thought of changing scales. I've been building and tearing down my On30 layout for 14 years. This past Christmas, my eleven year old son got an N scale set. He'd been eyeing it for a while and I always thought the interest would wane but he really wanted it. I hate... HATE to admit... I love the stuff!!! I would have never guessed. (An entire Hiawatha in one little box? Amazing!)

I really don't want Troels to change scales as his work is amazing, but I understand the temptation. There is a small part of me who would love to see what he can do in a smaller scale. I don't think there are too many Maine-related offerings in N, so us On30ers shouldn't get too worried.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry too much... it is not as if the Coast Line RR is done and sold yet :)

I have had a N scale layout, german prototype, many years ago, and a couple of HO's too.

I actually placed a bid on a gang of old brass HOn3 locos a while ago, but the seller wasn't keen on shipping to Europe...

But in may I plan to visit an avid On30 modeler friend, who has a surplus of engines and cars suitable for my next layout's theme (if I ever get time over to model again...), so there is a good chance the next will be On30 again.

And thank you for the kind words!!

quote:
Originally posted by ScottyB

I've loved following along with Troels over the years. Bought the DVD way back when. I've studied every photo I can (I'll never come close to that talent!) But I get the thought of changing scales. I've been building and tearing down my On30 layout for 14 years. This past Christmas, my eleven year old son got an N scale set. He'd been eyeing it for a while and I always thought the interest would wane but he really wanted it. I hate... HATE to admit... I love the stuff!!! I would have never guessed. (An entire Hiawatha in one little box? Amazing!)

I really don't want Troels to change scales as his work is amazing, but I understand the temptation. There is a small part of me who would love to see what he can do in a smaller scale. I don't think there are too many Maine-related offerings in N, so us On30ers shouldn't get too worried.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  12:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

I actually placed a bid on a gang of old brass HOn3 locos a while ago, but the seller wasn't keen on shipping to Europe...

I confess, I don't understand why some Americans won't ship outside the US. The buyer wants it, wants to pay for the shipping but still the seller is unwilling.
I have shipped internationally for years and, in Canada, it's just a small sticker to complete indicating what is contained in the parcel that makes the difference between shipping nationally and internationally. Anyway, seller's prerogative, I guess.
I would look forward to anything you produce - regardless of scale!
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Bachmann Shay replacement gears Topic Next Topic: Bachmann shay replacement gears  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000