Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR vol 7
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR vol 7
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Oak Grove RR, an evolving layout. A new start! Topic Next Topic: narrow gauge and shortline gazette
Page: of 19

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  5:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started out in the late 50's in this great hobby. Then in the late 80's I decided to make the hobby my business. Well the next 7 years almost killed me and the passion for the hobby. In 1996 the doctors put me out to pasture. Stress. It has taken until 2014 for the spark to come back.
Take it from me. Making your hobby a business is not the smartest move I ever did. If I were Troels I would run a mile from turning the hobby into a business. Hobbies are about fun and relaxation. Stressing over business is not fun or relaxation. I'm a freelance photographer. I just received an order for 223 large mounted prints. So there goes my hobby for a month or two. Careful what you wish for!

DVD's? Maybe an agent would be the best direction. Or sell the rights and let someone else handle it all.

From a very very selfish point of view I want Troels to stay in this hobby. So much inspiration. So much to 'copy'.

regards

gs48
New Hire

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  6:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Precisely , Bruce. The DVD has been produced, now let somebody else do the dirty work of copying and shipping. Outsource it. Piece of cake. And the masses will be happy. Similarly, in a distant culture, the devotees wait outside forever, waiting for even the dust off the masters shoes as he passes by, revering it as though manna from heaven. It's true, when you find the master, you will know.

Edited by - gs48 on 12/11/2016 7:05:28 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gs48

Precisely , Bruce. The DVD has been produced, now let somebody else do the dirty work of copying and shipping. Outsource it....

My impression is that Amazon does this type of thing for select products. Takes orders and payments, makes copies and ships. This product may be too small in sales volume for them though.

Selling the right to sell copies to a publisher is a good idea. Troel's is probably already familiar with the practice as it relates to art prints.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  9:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this might help in the interim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtXDlS0Tdg&list=PLzg4kVecTsQTfdl4cLnZz4p1ANrhrjcTk

gs48
New Hire

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  9:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that video of Troels making waves, then painting them, is priceless! I never saw anyone do anything like that before. He makes it look so easy, yet the end result is spectacular! Far superior to epoxy. Better result and easier to do. Just another way he has revolutionized "modeling a railroad."

Bullit56
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  4:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez now I have too start all over again on the Coast. Good thing it's winter,lots of time to peruse the 100's of pages and pictures. If that's not inspiration I don't know what is

I'll drop everything I'm doing and take care of your problem

Bullit56
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  4:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez now I have too start all over again on the Coast. Good thing it's winter,lots of time to peruse the 100's of pages and pictures. If that's not inspiration I don't know what is

Bullit56
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  4:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arhggg double post

gs48
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  11:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill - have fun in here. There is so much information on this forum it amazes me! Troels Kirk is a real master, and he let's us watch over is shoulder as he creates masterpiece after masterpiece. This is a master in action!

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  04:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bullit56

Arhggg double post

the signature line reminds me of a sign that was in the local Building Inspector's Office. to wit: Poor Planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Bullit56
New Hire

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  08:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somebody should figure a way to put all this in an online book. Between Troels and Miclomarty(?) this is the way to build a model railroad .
As for my tagline,I worked in a steel plant for 40 yrs. the last 10 as leader for reheat furnaces. I said that phrase alot!!

Phil

Bullit56
New Hire

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an aside maybe I should take up knitting or needlepoint as a hobby, this model train stuff looks to complicated for me!?!

Bullit56
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yoo Hoo where is everybody. Been real quiet the last week. Too close to Christmas maybe??

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  12:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello guys :) See the talk goes on in my absence...I've been pleasantly distracted for the second time in two months, by the arrival of grandchildren. Also I'm working on a painting with a woman in it... long since I did people in my landscapes. Fun but challenging.

What strikes me about your conversation, and with a lot of forum talk elsewhere, comments om my Facebookpage and so on, is that many want guidance, gurus, how-to's, explanations, manuals, quick fixes and so on, often while talking badly about their own work, perhaps never even getting out of the planning stage fearing failure. I have had the same experience when teaching painting workshops... I really believe in the learning-by-doing and getting-the-finger-out way of getting things done. Whether you you believe you will or won't succeed, you'll probably be right! I know genetics influence talent, but much depends on actually getting your hands dirty! I wasn't born knowing how to paint, how to make water, how to scratchbuild. I have experimented and failed like you won't believe it. When I knew my layout would have a waterfront all the way around, I made ten or more small masonite panels, and did all sorts of experiments with different materials. My first trees looked miserable, my first structures likewise.

I have taught life model drawing classes... Suddenly being in the clutches of the stress and concentration of having to deliver drawings before the model changes pose in a minute or five, will in a couple of hours force many to dig into unknown resources. The students very often amaze themselves by having made a pile of better drawings than they ever had expected, simply because there was no time to think!

So while I'm painting the lovely Jenny in her black coat on the local stone bridge, and enjoying the two newborns, go experiment, build, reject, build more, paint and weather and have fun making loads of models and scenery!!! Or rent a nude model and buy a pile of sketching paper and some pencils

Merry Christmas or whatever you're celebrating!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Edited by - kirk on 12/20/2016 12:10:31 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the new Babies. By all means enjoy them and continue to expand your artistic horizons. Such precious things are so rare in life. Please enjoy them. The trains won't go anywhere. Someday I hope to be as good an artist as you are, until I get there I'll keep on trying.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: The Oak Grove RR, an evolving layout. A new start! Topic Next Topic: narrow gauge and shortline gazette  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000