Railroad Line Forums - Structures on the LP&N RR, vol.3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Structures on the LP&N RR, vol.3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 3D Printing (Rapid Prototyping) Topic Next Topic: Narrowgauge 0-scale ore car
Page: of 96

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,
Love the little people.
Dave

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  12:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job on those little people, Bob!

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  12:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, It's been snowing since 8 PM last night and it still has not shown any signs of
stopping. I haven't gone out to measure it yet but the TV weatherman says it is in excess of 16
inches. Spring must be right around the corner.

I have gathered some materials and loads of photos and picked the subject of my next
structure model. I am going to change my usual scale, O scale (1/48) instead of my usual 1/24.
I am also going to make a whole lot of changes from the prototype (the fun of scratchbuilding).
More on that later.

One of my daughters-in-law was traveling and stopped overnight in Clarksville, TN. From her
hotel window she could see a structure that had an old sign that covered one end of the
structure. She took some photos because she thought I might like to model that building.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob, nice to see that you have a future project in the works!
Even nicer to see you back here posting again!
I look forward to seeing what your going to build!

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, We got a bit of snow before it turned to sleet then rain, now lot of wind and rain, so I pulled up a chair and popcorn to watch your next build :)

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,
I'm going to sit beside Bill and enjoy some of his popcorn, if He'll let me.
Really looking forward to another one of your builds.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, it's good to see you have something in the works. Your first post is sort of a tease, like a trailer for a film.

Bill, is the popcorn buttered? If not I'll bring popcorn and share. Greg and Dave, you can have some of mine if you want.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir-Ree'. Now that is what I call a wonderful, thoughtful Daughter in-law. You must be doing something right Bob'..The viewing room is filling up'. Seems there's plenty of popcorn, so I'll bring some libations and snacks'..Now, Dave and Bill, I want a seat right up front'...

Ted

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  11:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your comments. As many of you know, my wife has many
health issues and as her caretaker it does require my time which I give freely. This model
is not going to be much but hopefully it will get me back to work.

This is one of the photos from my daughter-in-law and I was able to use Google to get in there
and take some better shots. This is an old structure that was converted to a law office and
they were wonderful enough to leave that painted wall intact.

Since I do not know what the original structure looked like I will have to make many guesses and
I will also make many changes for my own likes.

Well, it's not really laying on it's side!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  12:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great Bob, I'll be watching too!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  1:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking picture I'm sure it will be a fun building it.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  1:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, it looks like J.F. Couts' Son(s) believed in diversifying.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  2:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Bob, it looks like J.F. Couts' Son(s) believed in diversifying.

Bruce, back in the day, it was quite common for a furniture store owner to also work as a funeral director/undertaker in the same store.

I like the juxtaposition of the 2 signs.
Uneeda bite the biscuit, before you can see the undertaker.

You can also just make out a former ghost sign below the Uneeda Biscuit sign.
I can't quite make out what it was though, I'm getting a kink in my neck looking at it sideways.

Bob, looks like the writings on the wall for this project!

Michael, thanks for sharing your popcorn, can you pass me that bowl!

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, did you intend ghost sign as a pun with the funeral parlor connection? If not, I'll take it!

I fiddled a little with the photo using GIMP.
I think the ghost sign is another, older Uneeda Biscuit sign that was painted over. It looks like the layer under "Rain or Shine Just as Fine" says "Uneeda Biscuit" in almost the same size lettering as the newer top layer. And then over on the left side it has an older NATIONAL beneath the top Uneeda., something I can't make out beneath the 5 cents (what ever happened to the 'cents' symbol on the keyboard?), and then COMPANY beneath the A PACKAGE

I have several photos of old Uneeda Biscuit sign and they have different slogans, so the rest of the old sign might say something else. It might be what's left of the trademark in the rounded orangish square above the window.

rndunique
New Hire

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  5:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a computer keyboard, the only way to get a "cents" symbol is with an ASCII alternate character code. Specifically, hold the alt key and tap the numbers 155 on your keypad.

Hence:

Dave Vanderwal

Page: of 96 Previous Topic: 3D Printing (Rapid Prototyping) Topic Next Topic: Narrowgauge 0-scale ore car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000