Mark, David, Carl, and Greg, thanks for your comments. I have finished casting my windows. Here's enough window inserts and window frames to do this whole project and, not shown, a whole pile more for future needs.
Kris - I've tried many over the years but for about the last 15 years I have used the rubber and resin that is sold by Micro-Mark. Mostly they are all similar but I like this one and it's convenient for me to order. I usually use the Quick-set resin (I am impatient).
I have chosen to start with the smallest storefront from the above blanks. It will be a simpler design. I still don't know what it will look like so I just keep adding detail until I like it. I keep three boxes of styrene scraps, one each of strps, small pieces of sheets, and special shapes. The bulk of my modeling on these stores will come from the strip box shown
I always add the columns first. These are narrow and rather plain but it looks like this. I also add a piece to define the top of the coluns.
Here I've added narrower strips to the columns just for looks.
Using the same strips I added a couple of stepped down pieces to the bottoms of the columns and beefed up the top bar.
A bit more work on the strorefront. I used two different sized strips to add a sill under he window and below that a raised panel (a wide strip) and a baseboard (another wide strip flush with the bottom. I then added pieces of quarter-round all along flush with the bottom.
I then enlarged the top piece a little and using various strips, I made the door.
and then I added two strips to the top of each column (similar to the bottom) and made an area for the sign right above the top piece.
As I said, this one is fairly simple but I think you can see that with the addition of more and more small styrene strips it can get quite ornate.
That's it for now, some real world jobs are calling.
Here's the next storefront. As we get closer to the Holidays I get less model time so I'm not sure how much I will get done before year's end. This front was made just like the first one but I wanted it a bit more formal. The main difference is that the columns are heavier and I gave them a fluted like appearance by gluing strips of half round stock to them. As usual, the rest just evolves as I add styrene strips to my liking.