Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Page: of 19

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  10:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to steal a little more space so I've extended the edge of the layout by 3". This will be all water, no track. Compared to some of the pictures of my cannery build you can see the extra space on the water side of the building. The other photo is from the opposite end of the shelf. Hoping that it helps balance the amount of track that I have.

Edited by - Grubes on 09/23/2015 10:09:42 PM

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  10:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great pics here, but they seem to be straying away from the supposed subject - Favorite Model Scenes - to become a catchall of all kinds of scenes and layout tours. Are these actually your favorite scenes?

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, I see this under "Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2".

Dave, personally I would withhold judgement on water area until I was trying out backdrops; I don't think you're going wrong but I myself can't see the balance issue you're working on at this stage.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

Great pics here, but they seem to be straying away from the supposed subject - Favorite Model Scenes - to become a catchall of all kinds of scenes and layout tours. Are these actually your favorite scenes?

Bob,

A bit confused as I've only posted on my thread

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  11:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final picture of the cannery. It's about 95pct structurally complete but will come back and add detailing at a later time.

Also have attached a picture of the layout with the 3" extension and the styrene which will be the base for the water. I've primed it with grey and am testing different color combinations for the water on a separate piece of plastic.

James, I'm happy with the additional water area, but am glad I didn't add much more.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  10:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been experimenting with colors for the water and can't seem to get something that satisfies me. I'd be interested in thoughts and in colors that others have used. Since the area I'm modeling is not a deep water harbor, I'm trying to stay away from very dark colors, but unsure of what to use. The pictures below combine Light Grey and Steel Blue with a bit of Jenkins Green and Indigo. I plan to cover the acrylic base painted base with Acrylic Gel. I'm thinking of going a bit more grey.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  05:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would guess maybe take a picture (if you live around there) of the real thing then try to match that?

Mike

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Water really has no color. It reflects/mirrors the color of the sky, but that presumes relatively deep water that is clean and clear of pollutants, sediments, etc. The shallower it is, the more you'll see the colors of the bottom of the body of water and the muck that's in it. Safest bet is to go for a near black in the center, and get a bit lighter towards the shoreline (brown to tan earth colors).

See this video by the master, Dave Frary on how he does it. You can't go wrong or really get much better, IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgWt137zpkQ

Edited by - Jeff G on 10/04/2015 08:25:31 AM

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  08:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, British modeler Chris Nevard has achieved outstanding results using PVA, ordinary white glue, over a gray painted surface and it's got to be (to my eye) some of the most realistic brackish harbor water I've ever seen. And it also looks to be incredibly easy and clean.

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2012/06/pva-water-allan-downes-way.html

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  09:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The color of water. Wow, that's a tough one! But Jeff said it correctly. Water has no color. What we see are generally reflections. And it also depends on the angle of view as to what 'color' the water is. I guess for us, its like the color of the sky. Its what looks right to you as there really isn't any 'right' color.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  9:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, Mike, Mark,

Thanks for the comments. I looked over the pictures I have of the area I'm modeling and also looked at some of the modeling by others. I tried everything from a darker blue to a dark green and brown. Finally settled on a grey green which is close to some of my photos and also matches what will be a predominantly grey sky background. I've also put some gel on a small section to see how it will look. Probably sit the rest of the week on this and see if I still am happy with the selection before moving forward.

IMG_0158_opt.jpg[/url]
129.63 KB

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once it has a shine/wet look it should look good.

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  9:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the acrylic gel. I'm pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. Goes to show that luck is better than talent any day. Picture below is a bit greener than actual, but close to the real thing.

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  05:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you nailed it. Would like to see a shot from a bit further away, but in color and texture, it has to my eyes that shallow, harbor feel.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good close up, how is it from a normal viewing distance?

Mike

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000