Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary leftovers build. Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Page: of 19

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  2:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I echo Mark's comments, Dave. Those are some great views along the bridge!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an impressive looking bridge, Dave.

George

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  11:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Mike and George; thanks for the comments.

Have started the trestle spanning the inlet and have spent a few days making the bents. There will be about 18 of them crossing a marshy area.

I've been using a jig from Black Bear Construction Co. Excellent customer service and they send a complete package that gives standard prototype drawings and dimensions for trestles. My experience with them has been very good all around.

Just about finished the bents, then time to add the cross braces, track flooring and ties and infamous NBWs.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those bents are already looking so "cool" already, Dave! Nothing like a long row of similarity to inspire...be it a unit train or a series of trestle bents. Lovely!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  11:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, that is going to be impressive! 18 bents? WOW! I can't wait to see this come together.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike/Mark,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Have completed all bents and the stringers. Next step is staining before putting on the girts and side bracing.

Trestle2_opt.jpg[/url]
33.67 KB

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  9:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neatly done.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  09:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recent work has been on staining, adding NBWs to stringers and some assembly. Decided not to add side bracing and side stringers based on some prototype photos. I think the look is cleaner and structurally the additional bracing isn't necessary.

I've also added "metal" caps to the tops and ends of the bents (photo below). Although coming along slowly, I am making some progress. Next steps will be to add NBWs to the inboard stringer and then I'll begin the decking.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  09:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more picture to give an idea of scale.

I

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is coming along nicely Dave! I think you've captured the color and weathering. And the last photo really put it into perspective. I'm enjoying watching you put this together and can't wait to see the first engine roll across it!

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  06:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, thanks but probably a while before I install and wire the trestle. I have pushed an engine across by hand to make sure there were no binding spots. I had to shave off the heads of the NBWs on the guard rails but the final effect isn't compromised and might actually look a bit more to scale.

Trestle is almost finished. Still have to add gauntlet rails, build the two end retaining walls and a bit of weathering with powder to get rid of the shiny/smooth look. Final numbers:
18" long = about 240 scale ft
over 200 ties
19 bents
over 425 NBWs

Next project is the Eastern Shore Cannery located overlooking the trestle. Once I've completed that I'll attempt the scenery at the inlet entrance and the base of the trestle. This will be marshland and I'm thinking of how to best model the area. Getting the salt marsh and cordgrass right is going to be a challenge.

Pictures of the trestle below.

Edited by - Grubes on 08/02/2015 6:11:21 PM

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  10:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started Eastern Shore Seafood and Cannery which is a key industry both for operations and setting the tone of the layout. It'll be serviced mostly with boxcars and reefers with the occasional flat car. Although not a lot of cars, it is one of the most difficult industries to get to so it will provide operational interest.

The cannery will have 3 buildings: receiving and sorting, packing, and administration/warehouse. The first two face the harbor, the admin building is against the marsh/inlet. I'm starting with the piers and foundation. Some pictures below:

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  10:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Framers have been busy these past few weeks.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  07:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive!

Mike

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary leftovers build. Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000