Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: pilot2fly ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Page: of 19

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/17/2015 :  7:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More progress as I've installed the backdrop. Spliced together styrene and sprayed with grey primer to give the basis for a coastal overcast. Not quite as ominous as my last backdrop, but still no sunshine on the Eastern Shore.

I've also been working on the swing bridge for the inlet crossing. The bridge is modeled after the Pocomoke MD railroad bridge which defined the northern end of the Eastern Shore RR. I'm attaching pictures of the prototype and what I have so far.

Building the bridge has opened up an interesting option. Instead of just modeling the bridge on my current trackplan, I may use the window wall of my room to model Pocomoke. It's a very simple 3 switch track plan (a passing siding and an industry siding and would give me a place to send my Willis Wharf traffic which right now would be set out for pickup by an imaginary CSX interchange.

I'd replace the Willis Wharf bridge with a trestled crossing which I feel is more appropriate; it conveys a more isolated atmosphere instead of the swing bridge which indicates river traffic. The set-up would also move the bridge more out into the open instead of its current spot which is somewhat hidden in the back.

I got the eye-roll from my wife who knew it was just a matter of time before I started expansion. Fortunately, I have an extremely acceptant spouse. The Pocomoke extension would not begin for a while as I'd like to start on the Willis Whaf buildings.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2015 :  8:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your bridge model is coming along well. Styrene?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  06:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking bridge.

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  7:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Your bridge model is coming along well. Styrene?

Yes, styrene. Below are the sub-assemblies and also the beginnings of the aprons. I'll continue to work on the bridge but will also start building the trestles for the current section of the layout (described in previous post).

While waiting for scale wood to arrive, I'm going to start shaping the scenery and also continue experimenting with operations.
Just moving grain hoppers from the set-out track to one of two tracks at the granary and spotting cars is providing a taste of how things will work.

I've also started sketching out some of the buildings that are needed and after the trestle is completed, I'll be starting on a large shellfish industry building.

23.16 KB

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  06:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continue to work on the bridge even though I am now sure that it will be located on a future extension. Since I'm still waiting for the trestle wood to arrive, it gives me the excuse to finish this project.

I've completed the bridge approach aprons and am now adding NBWs (can be seen in the last picture.) This is definitely taking time and patience. Advantage of N gauge; a lot more track per foot, disadvantage of N gauge, a lot more ties (NBWs) per foot.

Edited by - Grubes on 06/21/2015 07:58:50 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  09:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When the NBWs are done, it might be worth taking it to a contest.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  7:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking mighty fine!

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  9:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done sir! Interesting looking bridge.

Mark

umtrr-author
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2015 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit umtrr-author's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just catching up with this thread... very nice work!

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/30/2015 :  12:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love that swing bridge, Dave. The layout is coming along beautifully! I'll be following along,

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2015 :  2:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'm liking that swing bridge. The Eastern Shore is a great concept location for a layout. Don't believe I've ever seen that area modeled before.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2015 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Impressive work in N scale Dave!

Could you, in the future, post your pix a little larger please?

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  10:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for all the encouraging comments. Frank, I've always had this mysterious attraction to the area. The Eastern Shore RR is a real life 1:1 switching layout and because it's linear and has no through trains. It's easy to model in theory, yet difficult to incorporate the sense of distance in limited space. But I've always liked the model railroads of others that had an atmosphere (like your Wreckers Reef that I follow religiously). I'm hoping that I'll be able to achieve that feeling.

The swing bridge is 90pct finished and I'm going to put it aside and move onto the trestle that is its replacement on my existing module. I'm happy with the outcome and although there are a few things that I wish had come out better it represents the real life Pocomoke River structure.

The prototype bridge spans about 275ft in total and the main span about 160ft. My total span is about 240ft (18") and my main span does match the length of the prototype 160ft (12"). The advantages of N scale. Estimating about 500 NBWs each requiring me to drill a hole and use tweezers using magnifying glasses; the disadvantages of N scale. The weathering has also brought out the rivet detail (I used tie bar joiner etchings from Proto 87 glued on top of the styrene). I've posted a few pictures (Carl B I've tried to make them bigger) of the almost finished model.

The wood has arrived for the trestles and that will be my next project.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  1:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Dave. Your attention to detail, especially considering this is N Scale, is amazing to say the least.

Mark

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000