Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Page: of 19

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, somehow I lost contact with your thread but Iíve reconnected again. Looking forward to rejoining and catching up, great progress since I last saw it. When I travel up I-95 through Georgia and go over bridges along the salt marshes and Iíve always thought that would be an interesting model. And by gosh youíre doing it.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes sir, looks good!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  11:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking pics!

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  6:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with the others, Dave. Looks good.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  7:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Fine looking scenes along the water with threatening sky. Great modeling. Thanks for the photos.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your encouragement.

Starting on an area that requires Virginia pines. Trying to follow Scotchpines thread but seems there's not only the mechanical steps but an art involved in his incredible trees.

Have wrapped some wire around food skewers that are about 4" long to give me 50 some foot scale trees. After wrapping the skewers I used grout instead of the saw dust recommended by Scotch pines. Have begun an initial coat of paint. Hoping that it's looks a bit better next painting of the trunk and after applying the leaves.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  11:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished the tree. It's supposed to be a Virginia Pine but I'm not thrilled with overall look. Could use some constructive criticism so I've posted under Railroad Construction/treefoilage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers thread to get some hints on what I could do better.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  07:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it.

Mike

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  6:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finding out, like with many things, the more you try the better it gets. I've made about 20 trees and each is looking a bit more like I I'd like. Started putting them temporarily on the layout along with continuing base layer of ground cover. It's nice not to have any pink foam showing.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  06:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  09:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I think your trees work as a group. I think you have chosen a difficult tree to model, or more accurately, nature has chosen one for you. I mean, what kind of tree is this?

if there were some way to make the branches more delicate and add a little more leafy stuff they might look better individually.

However, your forest looks pretty good.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thanks for the picture and the feedback. I"m going to use your picture and try something a bit different. I think my trees would look at home in the Jersey pine barrens. I'll probably use them in then background and will try to experiment with a more lacier canopy and lighter colored leaves.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing on trees and am much happier with my latest attempts. The new ones are on the left of the picture and there's a huge difference between them and the older ones. I'll be getting rid of all the previous ones and chalk it up to learning. Fortunately, these trees are low cost; a few BBQ skewers, some picture wire, sawdust and paint.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave what a difference. They are some really great looking trees.

Now just how many of those do you have to make?

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000