Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Page: of 19

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  12:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read that Chesapeake Bay has tides in the 2-3 foot range, a big difference from the 6 foot tides north of Cape Cod. What's the state of the tide in your model?

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  2:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, all of your comments are appreciated.

Warren; while I hope to add sound sometime down the road, I think I'll stay away from smell.

James; My intent was to model the tide going out/low tide so that I could show barnacles and the difference in stains on the pier supports. I'll confess that by pure happenstance (not design), the modeling matches the bay tide heights that you noted - the barnacles and dark bottom edges of the pier supports are about 1/4" high which equates to about 3feet in N scale.

Most of the acrylic gel used to model the water has dried. I made a mistake of applying it way too thick and it's taken a full week to have all spots go from the milky white to clear.

I also felt that the slope from the water to the track was too steep and that the marsh area was claustrophobic. To me, this didn't match the water to tree transitions that I've seen in pictures and didn't show the marsh expanse that characterizes the area. So I removed some of the track embankment on the yet unbuilt curve and will replace with trestle.

Although I'll have to build another trestle (which can be a bit tedious), this will allow me to expand the sea grass area and now that I'm a bit more comfortable with my technique I think I'll enjoy the overall effect better.

Pictures of the changes below:

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  07:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In areas like this the water is usually pretty calm, are you going to smooth the water surface out more?

Mike

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  10:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your marshlands. Need to add a duck/goose blind or two.

Bill Uffelman Ocean View Delaware

ChipC
New Hire

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  10:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somehow I overlooked this thread. Very happy to see your modeling efforts on the Eastern Shore. The swing bridge looks spectacular. I dream of building my own in HO someday... I've sketched up several plans but never acted on them.
Keep up the good work!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  11:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an Excellent Marsh'..Very nice work'..

Ted

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  12:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I'll be adding another layer or two of gel; you're right, it does look too choppy. I want to get a little movement as if the tide is going out, but it looks more open water than marsh right now.

I've started painting the backdrop. Need to finish this before I install the trestles. Trying for the feel of a late summer atmosphere with the grass sunburnt and the sky always threatening a summer rainstorm.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  3:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The marshes I know are a long way north and east of your prototype, but until I read about your intent, the pictures made me think "late October, after the leaves are gone and the marsh grass has died back".

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2016 :  10:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

guessing that you're probably right about the timeframe as I'm not exactly sure when the marsh goes golden. The trees are pines so they will maintain their leaves and add a bit of green to the landscape.

I continue to paint the backdrop as it frequently is a trial and error effort. Wishing I had the talents of Troels Kirk, Mike Graff (Gaffen) and some of the others that are naturals. It takes a lot longer than I'd like to get my desired results. Fortunately, acrylics are forgiving.

Once I finish the backdrop behind the trestle, I'll install it permanently which will give me a completed runaround track and add to switching operations.

Two pictures; the marsh lands with some more tree detail and the trestle at Willis Wharf

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2016 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I think the sky in your backdrop is as effective as I've seen. Such a grim overcast day it gives me shivers. That last photo is so lonely.
Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2016 :  09:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sky looks great!

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  02:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

L&N nut Jon

wstrouse
New Hire

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  10:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me if you posted this above, I looked through the thread and didn't see. Are you using purchased ties or did you cut them yourself?

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2016 :  4:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren,

I'm using Kappler ties (www.Kapplerusa.com).

I was dissatisfied with the trees in the background so I've re-painted them significantly smaller. The change in tree size is evident if you compare with my pervious post. I think this gives more depth to the scene. Also finished painting the sky and have just about completed wiring the track for the trestle. Hope that by weekend end, I'll be able to run the first train over the water.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  6:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to complete some work on the embankments and install and wire the trestle. Pictures are of first trains crossing the marsh.

I've also started experimenting with a new digital SLR camera that my wife and I bought for our anniversary. Haven't tried anything other than automatic, but looking forward to improving my photos and in the long run, some video.

Next steps are to build the curved trestle, finish the track work and lay the golden spike for the phase I section.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000