Railroad Line Forums - CLOUDS
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 CLOUDS
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CRC 2-26? Lubricant? Topic Next Topic: Slick trick?
Page: of 2

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  2:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clouds may not be around the day you decide to paint your backdrop, or maybe you live in a completely different climate with very different weather. Help save clouds in this "Cloud Bank". If we get enough contributions maybe this can become a Sticky that will be there when we need it.

Especially wanted are all kinds of photos of real clouds, but modeled clouds are welcome too. To help make the photos more usable, please include basic information: general location, season, are these typical clouds for place & time or unusual?

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Backdrops thread has a lot of information to help you decide whether to add clouds to a backdrop, what effect different types of clouds have on the surrounding scenery and some how-to presentations. This thread can be a repository for a rainy day (or not) when you are looking for images of clouds for guidance or inspiration.

Upstate NY, late summer, typical, (a 'textbook' backdrop with clouds receding toward the horizon)

coastal New England, summer common, another 'textbook' sky, though less contrast than above clouds

coastal New England, spring, typical

Western Massachusetts, summer, just a wisp on a clear day

southern coastal New England, summer, thunderstorms forecast later

southern coastal New England, summer, common (bigger/nearer clouds on bottom this time)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/24/2015 3:23:43 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  2:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coastal New England, summer, fair weather clouds

western central New England, summer, change coming

western New England, late fall, change coming

coastal New England summer. (This thunder storm passed over without a drop of rain right here.)

coastal New England, late summer, storm coming

coastal New England, late spring sunset, spectacular, but not typical

coastal New England late fall sunset, not typical, but nice

southern coastal New England, late fall, sunset, common

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/24/2015 3:11:07 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  3:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Central Coastal Rhode Island: Middle to late August 2014

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  8:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know nobody will want to paint these but i thought they were striking examples of Mother Nature.

Florida Keys lightning storm.

Ormond Beach, Florida.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/24/2015 8:13:01 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  8:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some great picture guys.

Frank that's a nice lightning one for sure.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea this thread is, great pictures they are.
There are many great pictures of real clouds available on the Web.
IMHO what would be really beneficial is sharing examples of painted clouds. Preferably those on MRR back drops. The product of the Fine Artist would also be beneficial but many of them get an advantage from their small canvases.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  11:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like these fine examples;

Above Rich Rand's layout
and Dave's (Arizona) portable backdrop

They A little different, Both get the job done and look good doing it.

EDIT NOTE: a Example was removed because I learned it was Photoshop art.

Edited by - railman28 on 04/28/2015 11:34:41 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  4:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, only those above the Muskrat Ramble came from Greg Komarís imagination. In reality itís basically a light blue background. Greg added the clouds in Photoshop after the photo shoot.

I think this one will be a favorite of mine since it echoes the theme of my Wrecker's Reef.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/26/2015 5:19:55 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  08:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a recent spring sky in coastal southern New England These two photos were taken a few rotated degrees apart, both generally looking south. Notice the intense sky color. All the rest of the surrounding sky was nearly cloudless.

This one reminds me of Troels Kirk's dynamic painted backdrops

Edited by - Bill Gill on 05/05/2015 08:23:45 AM

RodH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  05:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill,

I have been searching for suitable cloud backdrops to place into photos. A lot of images have a background clutter, making them unsuitable for publishing.

For photos I require very large high resolution images of clouds or other suitable backdrops.

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod, When you say "publishing" and "...clouds or other suitable backdrops.", do you mean you are creating commercial photos that have sky backgrounds that need clouds or other atmospheric images? Do you have any examples of what you are working on?

How how large are the images you intend to print? How high a resolution do you want? If you are making backdrops for model railroads, especially if they are simply skies with clouds, and will be viewed from even a couple feet away, you may be surprised at how low the resolution can be and still be very effective.

I created a 48 inch long test backdrop for a scene on the New England Berkshire & Western RR. It includes a tree covered hill. Although the resolution is only 72dpi, no one that has seen it has realized it is anywhere near that low. To my eye, the lower resolution actually enhances the effectiveness as it adds a bit of atmospheric softness to the background which keeps it from competing with the foreground 3D models and scenery. I would think that the same resolution would work for a backdrop that was all sky.

Most of the photos that will get posted here probably will have ground clutter just because of the nature of the photographs taken. Below are a couple very low res photos (in order to post here) with the clutter either cropped or GIMPed out.

As an additional test I took some shots aimed almost straight up to avoid any ground clutter and also looked at photos of clouds taken from an airplane. Neither looked like clouds seen near the horizon as would be typical for a backdrop and the sky color was noticeably different too.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  11:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I guess the sky is the limit on this thread.
Another Good idea from the Bill Gill Brain trust.

Even the clouds are better in the Bahamas.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 05/06/2015 11:33:06 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, for a minute I thought you'd gone to see Frederic Testard's diorama http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39027&whichpage=41 in person with those colorful houses. Nice clouds too, thanks for adding to the 'bank'

RodH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  05:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Rod, When you say "publishing"

I created a 48 inch long test backdrop for a scene on the New England Berkshire & Western RR. It includes a tree covered hill. Although the resolution is only 72dpi.

Hi Bill,

I have used incorrect terminology. I don't need HR but large size. The publishing is for an Australian MR mag. "Narrow Gauge Downunder" magazine. http://www.ngdu.com.au

I also edit images with GIMP and like to have images in my layers close to the size of the target layer.

Sorry for using HR incorrectly.

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  07:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod, No problem, just trying to understand what you need. For most magazines the usual minimum resolution the editors want is 300 dpi. For a photo 10 inches wide that would be 3000 pixels wide which is a lot bigger than we can post here. Are you having any luck getting the images you need? How do you like editing photos with GIMP? I've been using it awhile, but am still finding/figuring out what it can do.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: CRC 2-26? Lubricant? Topic Next Topic: Slick trick?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000