Railroad Line Forums - 3-D Background Tenements
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 3-D Background Tenements
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Laying tracks on a wharf / dock Topic Next Topic: Paint...again.
Page: of 2

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  3:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I already have several urban apartment buildings built from various kits elsewhere on the layout. I didn't want more of the same, so a couple of years ago Model Tech Studios' "3D Background Tenements" caught my eye.

Laser-cut parts include clapboard walls, scribed board porch decks, 2-piece windows and stair railings. Castings include plastic stair tread, porch railings, porch posts and metal chimneys. The bundles of stripwood are labeled Trim, Corner, Cornice Cap and Int. Bracing.

The two sheets of instructions include a summary of several available construction options, some useful illustrations and finishing tips. Alas, they're not really complete enough for a beginner. We'll see how my guesses work out....

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  3:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started the narrowest of the three first:

Here the audience-facing (rear) wall is 'trimmed out' (the instruction author's phrase). I chose the peaked roof option. The cut-out pieces are to be reversed to make doors, with 'trim' stock cut and applied to overlap the joints a bit.

On the left, two side walls are being braced. I'll need perhaps three extra feet of the 1/8" square bracing stock.

The main wall twisted while drying, so here I'm assembling the whole structure with extra horizontal braces. Adding floors would help too.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  4:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do a lot of wood kits or scratchbuilding, it's worth ordering 1/8 and even 1/4 square stock in bulk to use for internal bracing.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  4:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't ordered wood stock in decades; I'm 35 min. from Northeastern Craftsman Supply in Methuen. But yes, there's some on hand.

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  5:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Floors do help with bracing and are especially nice if you are going to add some lighting!

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  5:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, Tenements have so much character. Since seeing Earl Smallshaw's scratchbuild of them and the ones on the F&SM I've always liked them.

BTW, I like the rail weight.
Looking forward to this build.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too love tenements. I'll be following along with interest.

Don

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  7:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks James for posting your build of these fine looking structures. I too liked Earl Smallshaw's scratchbuild of these buildings when I first saw them. Looking forward to your progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  10:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JVBV and Louis, if you want to see an O scale scratch built tenement board by board with floors and lights copied from the model tech studios photograph used for their kit. Take a look @ the made of wood thread. [The Gallery: Feb 2015 "Made out of Wood"], I'll put a few more pics up if you are interested...in seeing the sides and back...

ted :<)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  09:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be interesting, Ted.

Last night I built the basic structure of the widest building. I don't really understand what the designer had in mind with the two side porches that each have two doors into the apartments, but it's a background building after all.

Everything went together OK. My only surprise came from my first used of the supplied roof material. I thought it was .040 styrene and got out the Goo, but it turns out to be very thin foam core. Future roofs will be glued with Aileen's Tacky, like the rest of the structure.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  10:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Nice lookin' three-deckah ya got goin' theyah!

Every self-respecting city in New England has "three-deckers;" glad to see you adding them to the mix!

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay James, a few shots of the copied structure in O Scale, scratch built (coffee stirrers):
Three floors, W/interiors: Tichey doors/windows: LED's by Evans Designs.

ted :<)

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. For the past few years I had beed looking for a wood tenement to add to the layout.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along with the progress as well, James. You always see the backside of tenements when you arrive in a major urban area via rail. Looking great so far!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  5:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of the paint is applied and I've got some of the windows installed:

The gray and honey brown are stains, the white is artist's acrylics. I had to supply about 6" of HO scale 2x4 beyond the kit's contents. Next come the porches.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  11:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friend M. took an interest in the tenements and has completed the porches while I worked on a couple of other buildings:

Here she's brush painting the peak-roofed 3 decker's porch railings with blue craft paint. The porch railings' baluster spacing isn't an exact match for the area to be filled. If this was going closer to the audience, it would have been worth filling the spaces with mounting blocks made from appropriate styrene strip.

I used Cadmium Yellow artist's acrylic on this one's windows and doors, but it didn't cover well on the styrene porch railings and polyethylene stairs. The picture shows both oversprayed with Floquil SP Daylight Orange. This looks like it will work well, as the windows & doors will be in shadow and would be less exposed to sun and weather in the prototype.

We cemented the stairs & railings in place with Walthers' Goo, after drilling holes in the porch decks to accept the porch posts' pins.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Laying tracks on a wharf / dock Topic Next Topic: Paint...again.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000