Railroad Line Forums - Welcome- What are you using or thinking about
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Welcome- What are you using or thinking about
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Experiment in Wireless Charging Topic Next Topic: Dead Rail RailPro
Page: of 6

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  3:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan,

Ya, one opinion, mine. I don't think your going to get a following here on that.

You have to consider the modeler who is recreating a specific time his railroad operated as far as controlling which track he takes. Usually decided by the dispatcher. If modelers are interested in an out the cab view, don't you think you'd hear or see more about this subject? I for one wouldn't be interested to own a system like that. One other thing would be the tech involved with the system. What if some component failed? I see modelers today have a hard time trouble shooting DCC, add to this what you are suggesting and the frustration level surely would rise.

I've seen the guys that fly quad-copters used the virtual goggles when they run through a race coarse. Pretty exciting.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

DanT
New Hire

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  2:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd,

Appreciate your thoughts. This is one of a few projects on the "back burner". But I will be installing a video camera to view and possibly record trips around a layout; already have most of the parts. YouTube has many videos showing tours of layouts, typically on club layouts. I personally find it enjoyable being able to do this.

Switch control involves using my existing Tx and DelTang Rx's. I just need to add IR leds plus an interface for switch control; working now with a manufacturer for that proper interface. The system would work in parallel with a typical operator control panel controlling typical switch machines, so that part not difficult technically. If I were to build a layout, the application would probably be limited to mainline tracks only. We'll see where all this goes later this year.

Dan

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  3:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll admit that I'm interested in seeing videos with on board camera's. They are fun to watch.

Your project sounds interesting and I'm curious enough to follow along.

I', also happy to give my opinion for what ever it's worth. For right now my frustration level has gone up a bit on the wireless charging. My other projects are lagging behind. I'm going to stick with adding a plug or removing the body on my experimental F7 project for now.

Keep us(? me)informed as you move forward with your projects. It's always good to hear from you.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

DanT
New Hire

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  2:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know about frustration. Although retired, model railroading is not my new full time job. One of my responsibilities is taking care of my 10 yr old granddaughter, whose dad passed away 5 yrs ago, while her mother works her full time job. With summer vacation, trains don't get too much attention. Not complaining, would never have it any other way, it's just the way it is.

I'm close to finishing up my charging tracks. The primary one will be a 2W system for 1S charging. The second charging track, which I may or may not build, will be a 1W arrangement since I already have the coils. The third will be a 3W system for the same reason and will hopefully work for 2S balance charging. The Wireless Power Consortium, IDT, TI, Wurth and TDK have been very helpful with coil selection and wireless charging technology. The big challenge is maximizing coil performance using the smallest footprint possible, then getting the minimum distance between coils for efficient energy transfer.

I'm really hoping this works. It could be a big plus for BPRC's credibility.

Dan

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: An Experiment in Wireless Charging Topic Next Topic: Dead Rail RailPro  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000