Railroad Line Forums - Welcome- What are you using or thinking about
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Welcome- What are you using or thinking about
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 3D graphene supercapacitor Topic Next Topic: Dead Rail RailPro
Page: of 7

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  9:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or ....

Cut the cab and make it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer.

Tom M.

sn3forme
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  11:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about this
Dead Rail Forum, glad to see RLF
has it!
This is what I was able to do
with my S-Cab and a Bachmann 2-8-0

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44704
Carl,
Pasco, Wa.

charlieb821
New Hire

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  06:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just switched in ON30 and Dead Rail. I Was into HO DC power for many years. Heard about and bought DCC system about 6 years back, but declining eyesight and "fumble fingers" steered me toward something larger, and the KISS principal.

Now working on ON30 Micro layout with Bachman 0-4-0 Porter (DCC on board), LENZ DCC, and TAM Valley DRS1 transmitter and receiver. Plan to use mini tender to hide batteries, receiver, etc.

Biggest problem is finding information about how to access the decoder inside the Bachmann Porter, since the decoder must be rewired to remove its connection to rail power and signals and reconnected to both battery power and the new wireless receiver.

Anyone who can help, please email charlieb821@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks,
Charlieb821

Charlieb821
charlieb821@sbcglobal.net

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  9:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The decoder is inside the fuel box, inside the cab, on the left side.

Reg Barron

Ohio_Shay_2008
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  10:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

i've been meaning to post on here for some time now...finally getting the chance to!

I completed my first deadrail project a few months ago: On30 Porter, WoW Sound Decoder, Battery, all within the cab...wasnt easy but it was done.

I have about 20min run time, not using any light functions (just one more thing to consume battery life), I'm using one of of the Banta Cab kits and I'm not really pleased with it so I'm hoping to figure out a more sturdy option for the cab.

Dave

sn3forme
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Would love to see pics
I have a porter I would
love to convert to dead rail
Carl
Pasco, Wa.

Edited by - sn3forme on 05/29/2015 5:02:35 PM

loggnhstry57
New Hire

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
I have been collecting model RR equipment since the 1990s but finally have time and room to build a permanent layout. I will be modeling a ca 1916 regional short line and a logging RR in the same area. Since I am starting with a blank canvas I have decide to go S-Cab with battery power and the Econami sound decoders. I have a total mish mash of track collected over the 25 odd years including ME code 70, 55, Atlas code 100 brass? from Australia, etc. I have very few turn outs and so am considering going with Peco code 75 for the short line and maybe ME code 70 or 55 for the logging (upper level) of the layout. Any thoughts on appearance of Peco Code 75 for a US railroad?

Clark McAbee
St. Paul & Tacoma Eastern Railroad
The Paradise Valley Route

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  01:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

My self and a friend are slowly, slowly working on an O scale layout to take to shows, and I've been collecting locomotives slowly for the past few years.

I've never built in O scale before, and really don't want to go DCC if I can help it.

What I'd like to do is go Dead Rail, and am hoping for the following:

1. All locomotives battery powered.
2. Bluetooth control so I can run it from my smart phone without having to buy a throttle (why spend money on a throttle when I replace my smart phone every 2 years on a rolling contract, so have a bunch of them lying around?
3. Sound in all locomotives without buying expensive sound decoders.
4. Bluetooth control of loco lights, beacons, ditch lights, smoke units, etc.
5. Bluetooth control of layout accessories - signals, signs, audio devices, animations, etc.

Is this doable with the current dead rail technology, or am I going to have to learn electronics and start doing it myself? :D

Thanks,
Dan

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  08:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan

You need to look at Bluerailtrains.com. It,s everything you wrote down. The use of battery power in O gives you plenty of room for the bluerail board, batteries and sound.

I like my bluerail equipped engine, but since I run HO the batteries are in a dummy engine. I am not a big fan of the smartphone for the throttle but the 6 and 3 yr. old grandkids are and the 68 yr. old BIL.

IMO it it the easiest way to get into battery power.

TomO

Corsair
New Hire

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone! I'm returning to the hobby and really like the idea of dead rail. I just moved this week into my new place, which has room for a nice switching layout and I'm ready to give it a shot. The only completed piece of motive power I have so far is an HO scale, freelanced SW-1.

The switcher is built with Stanton drives and a removable hood. The lower part of the chassis is filled with lead shot to give a little weight, giving me this much leftover space inside. The cab is Cannon with a full interior, so it's off limits.

I want sound, and only ESU makes the correct 6cyl powerplant, so that much is a given. The Tam Valley receiver seems like the easiest to use with that decoder. The biggest complication so far is that when testing the locomotive on DC power, the Stanton drives fight each other when trying to creep along (obviously a priority for a switcher). I seem to have 2 solutions:

1) Replace one Stanton drive with a dummy and put bullfrog snot on the power truck

2) Use a really cheap, tiny second decoder and 'consist' the 2 drives before reinstalling.

Anybody run into this before? Seems like slight mismatches are common with these drives. Plenty said about it on forums, but most people seem to either live with it or give up.

Rickie
New Hire

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on a standardized Del Tang installation. I'm willing to sacrifice sound for now.

I have found that the other dead rail products are still in their infancy where marketing is concerned. There seems confusion accompanying each product whether it be Tam Valley (who just announced they are discontinuing dead rail) or Blue Rail, S Cab etc.

For those modellers not confident to do their own installation, the installers advertised by Blue Rail are spotty at best in returning emails and phone calls.

So I figure to do my own installation and will be using the KISS del tang products.

I'd appreciate any thoughts that others might have.

Cheers

Rick

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  9:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rickie

I am working on a standardized Del Tang installation. I'm willing to sacrifice sound for now.

I have found that the other dead rail products are still in their infancy where marketing is concerned. There seems confusion accompanying each product whether it be Tam Valley (who just announced they are discontinuing dead rail) or Blue Rail, S Cab etc.

For those modellers not confident to do their own installation, the installers advertised by Blue Rail are spotty at best in returning emails and phone calls.

So I figure to do my own installation and will be using the KISS del tang products.

I'd appreciate any thoughts that others might have.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick. Welcome to the forum.

I've used Deltang since 2012. I started out on my adventure with BPRC on the Freerail's forum where David posted. My first project was a RC Atheran wreck crane. I also converted three IHC 2-6-0 steamers too that use Deltang receivers.

Since David is selling through vendors I haven't done much in the way of using Deltang receivers. I'm in the process of trying out a new system that was talked about on Freerails, a Fly-Sky Tx/Rx. I'm using the FS-GT2E. At present I'm waiting for the ESC to arrive and two 6 volt motors. I've also specked out a 6 volt N-Mhi battery. The Rx will be installed in a Blue Box Atheran F7-A with the battery in the F7-B.

I also don't care for noise systems in my engines for now.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Rickie
New Hire

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  11:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd, Thanks for touching base. I'm not aware of the
Fly-Sky Tx/Rx product. After checking it out, I'm wondering if the receiver will be possibly too large for an HO tender and also whether or not they make a transmitter that deviates from the style usually used for planes. Thoughts?

Rickie
New Hire

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spoke with the Canadian supplier for Del Tang (Diigiit Robotics) and they indicated that Del Tang has announced an end to their relationship due to the Canadian orders being of such high volume and the fact that Del Tang cannot supply the orders in a timely manner.

The person I spoke with at Diigiit Robotics mentioned that the Del Tang products are manufactured in the owners home and as such the owner doesn't wish to expand operations to keep up with the demand.

This is not good news for modellers. I also noticed that the American distributor ON3GUY is indicating that many Del Tang products are back-ordered.

So Del Tang may not be the route to take. Thoughts anyone???

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  2:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rickie

Hi Bernd, Thanks for touching base. I'm not aware of the
Fly-Sky Tx/Rx product. After checking it out, I'm wondering if the receiver will be possibly too large for an HO tender and also whether or not they make a transmitter that deviates from the style usually used for planes. Thoughts?

Hi Rickie.

I wasn't aware of the Fly-Sky either until a couple of days ago when browsing the Freerails forum. I checked it out and am going to give it a try. Right now I'm waiting for the Electronic Speed Controller to arrive.

Here are three pictures of the Fly-Sky receiver with some size comparison models and a US quarter.

The Atheran unit the system is going in.

The Atheran unit, receiver and a quarter.

And the tender of a IHC 2-6-0 steamer.

Mounted in the tender is a 5 volt regulator, an ADD2 Deltang board and the RX mounted in a sandwich of styrene.

I think they should work out OK. I'm going to remove the plastic case on the receiver. Should make for needing a bigger space. It will all fit into the shell of an wide-body engine without a problem.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: 3D graphene supercapacitor Topic Next Topic: Dead Rail RailPro  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000