Railroad Line Forums - New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boxed Pony (Howe) Truss Overpass Topic Next Topic: TT scale projects
Page: of 28

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2015 :  9:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, I like the one in the middle of the last photo.

Greg Shinnie

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2015 :  9:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the one on the right, in the last photo.

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  10:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer the one on the left. To me, mortar joints between stones are not very visible and the left looks most prototypical IMO.
Nice work and I'm going to but some of that to try it.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  12:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The center one is a little better than the others IMHO

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  12:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I didn't make my vote clear. I really like the one on the right. Because your carving has so much relief, this does look like "rocks in thick mortar" that I've seen.

dave

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just re read this thread and can only
say that the rock work coloring & carving
is neat and well executed.
I too like the center...
Keep it going Kris....

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  3:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really enjoying your build. Modeling C&S / Gilpin and this Mill is on the to-do list. Have the plans and balsa foam, never used so learning a lot from your excellent examples.

The mortar joints on the Polar Star are very distinct in current form, and stones lighter. Will be glad to post some pictures from last year if your interested. Not sure if it looked that way a 100 years ago though.

This is in no way criticism, just an offer to share.

Thanks keep sharing, great work!

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cameron, please jump in and post whatever you want to share. I concur with your observation on the Polar Star being somewhat unique. I am not having any luck locating my pictures, so your offer is of great value.

My memory has the Polar Star with an excessive amount of light grey mortar. The bulk of stones have a bit of mortar on the stone edges and faces. The bulk of stones being in a yellow ochre hue with some accents of burnt sienna.

I want to acknowledge everyone who commented about the coloring. Please note that I am still working out how to color the walls. I'm still trying to determine if any of the solvents or moisture will adversely affect or warp the walls. I'm also working to determine whether pastels in powdered form will adhere to the balsa foam. Powdered pastels do not appear to soak into or tint the foam as when coloring/weathering plaster or wood, even though ETOH does soak in and then evaporates without affecting the foam. Weathering powders and pan pastels do tint the foam in about the same manner as bass wood due to the adhesive in the powder.

I can say that one may find it difficult to color the foam directly with stick pastels, colored pencils or marking pens due to the soft nature of balsa foam. I think that you would find yourself basically scribing the wall face with minimal coloring.

For those folks who plan on playing with balsa foam, I have determined that if you want a textured wall, scribe the mortar lines a bit deeper than usual. This is because when texture is added, you are actually depressing the foam face. As the foam has no memory, the depressed surfaces and stone edges remain.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 02/13/2015 6:00:41 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  7:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, Have you reached out to Arizona Dave? He is a master at Balsa Foam.......Have you looked at his work here on the forum? I guess he hasn't seen this thread as I'm sure he would jump in to assist. I bought some Balsa foam this past summer after seeing his work with the foam. He did answer several questions I has posted regarding similar situations you are experiencing with your project.....

Again, I studied your 3 photos. After close analysis, I decided on the Gesso.... as the one I would use if I was building this structure....But, that is just IMHO....

Ted

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  8:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted for the suggestions. I have been watching Arizona Dave and his work, both on this site and on his blogs. I'm trying to barrow some of Dave's techniques, but he is mainly using the foam for scenery. Dave's video on foam carving did help some however. As Dave is working in O-scale, his carving of the foam has not been as detailed as what I am attempting. But I am sure that his foam cactus is more than in the ballpark.

I just hope that I can get something out of the box using this material, but I doubt that my build will hold a candle to Dave's creations. As you noted, Dave is a true master with this material and his artistic talents and imagination are allowing Dave to create scenes which I can only drool over.

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 02/13/2015 8:46:56 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  11:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kris, don't sell yourself short. There is no question that the larger the scale the more detail is natural, and also easier to create. Look at the 1/24th scale structures by Sgt Bob; Ray Dunakin; Chuck Doan: Their details are fantastic.
The same structures in 1/48 O scale become less prominent, and even less in
1/87, HO scale. So your stone walls are nothing to take lightly. And since this is your first time using this new medium, they look pretty darn good.

Maybe a little time to digest, and then go back... and re-look the colors.
This always seems to work for me as after a few days I always develop a fresh perspective.....

Ted

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  06:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up on this thread. Wow, that's great work with an interesting material. Thanks for detailing the process.

Bryan

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  6:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for no recent updates, but wanted to let you know that I have not given up on this build.

When the challenge opened in January I knew that I would have two hospital visits prior to the challenge ending. I had hoped to complete the build in the allowed time window. Well, one surgery turned out to be more difficult to recover from then expected. I also just got home today from an unexpected third hospital stay which included a couple of days in a ICU. As I have noted in a couple of recent posts, I had intended on getting to the work bench, but it just didn't happen. For those who have been closely watching this thread, I apologize for the delays. But I do fully intend to continue and complete this project in the near future. (Before I return to or start any other project.) I will let you know that I will be undergoing the same procedure again in about a month which just put me into the ICU. But that should be the end to all of this cancer garbage.

I plan on hitting the bench soon and promise at least one construction update within the next week. Thanks for your patience on this one.

-- KP --

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  9:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying the build, really love those Gilpin mills!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  9:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, We can wait....Kicking cancer's ass is more important. I was wondering why you have been posting but not working on your project. So thanks for the heads up and all the best for success and a speedy and full recovery...I know only too well what those ICUs are all about. My prayers and best wishes are with you'...All the best'...

Ted

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Boxed Pony (Howe) Truss Overpass Topic Next Topic: TT scale projects  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000