Railroad Line Forums - New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on the LP&N RR, vol.3 Topic Next Topic: new ULTRA flat black acrylic paint
Page: of 30

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  7:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris

So good to see you back at the bench.

I see you've started with your perfect set of instructions on how to do this.

Really looking forward to your build.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  7:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, it looks like our journey with, the New York mill has taken a bit of a detour here, and is now headed for the Hermosa Creek bridge.
Will this bridge be used in the New York mill scene that you've been working on?
And if not, why are you building it?
Don't get me wrong, it looks like a very nice wooden bridge, but I'm dying to see you finish the New York mill!
Perhaps your country has got you so confused right now, you feel the need to build bridges.

So if that's the case, I'm willing to go along on another model building adventure with ya.
Just so long as it doesn't interfere with the completion of your mighty fine look'in New York Mill.

Greg Shinnie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  8:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, I'm with Greg on this one',,Was wondering about the mill, and what you were working on since Sept. Nice bridge, where is going to? South of the boarder, or up North to Greg'..

Ted

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  2:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys for the mill update questions. I'm going to have to get some mountain sides in place on the diorama prior to placement of the flume. The flume runs along the mountain side, crosses the creek and then runs across the mill roof prior to entering the waterwheel house. I also need to be able to place the flume correctly above the creek as every picture I've seen has a small waterfall coming out of the flume into the creek.

As a result of the above scenery issues, I've chosen the "diorama" path to complete the mill. As the tracks in front of the mill on the diorama also need to cross the creek, I have to have a bridge. Thus, the Howe bridge.

I know that Jerry (TRAINS1941) worked very hard to develop a finish which would display the wide coloring and patterns found on older bridges, particularly mountain railroad lines. I've been itching to try his weathering techniques. As this is a 'sandbox' build, this is a excellent workspace to expand the techniques toolbox.

Greg, I've got to admit that I found myself laughing pretty darn hard when I read your comments. I'm going to profess that I suspect that there will be a lot of 'bridge building and repair work' in front of myself and others in the future. I believe that it will be very difficult for me to develop any future projects without the inclusion of a bridge or two, so all the more reason to explore Jerry's techniques.

I will be installing a 'North' and 'South' bridge, so please stay with me Ted.

Hopefully this will provide everybody with some ideas on where I'm going with the build.

Finally, please don't forget about using the Balsa Foam for abutments and stone retaining walls, which again is one of the core goals of this project.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 02/07/2017 2:43:30 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  2:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, now I understand this bridge diversion, and your right Jerry's weathering techniques do look interesting to try. So start building it, and showing us HOWE it's done.
I'm so glad, that I made you laugh!

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  7:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So start building it, and showing us HOWE it's done. Greg Shinnie
Brace yourself, Kris, there'll be more of that coming :) Looks like a good addition to the scene.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah the right place to post this.

Just looking to see if there was an update to the trestle build yet!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  1:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry gang for the delay, but have had some medical stuff pop up again. Be back soon however.

-- KP --

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  1:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you're on the mend, Kris.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  7:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris,
You have given me great inspiration to construct the Blackmarr bridge leading to Blackmarr Oil Company. But, I don't think I will be using balsa foam for the abutments. That stuff is rather expensive. I saw a piece in a LHS that was only 12" by 8", and the price was $16. Where do you folks get yours?
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Rich

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  11:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, best wishes for feeling better soon'..The mill needs those bridges'...

Ted

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  12:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  08:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see you have lots of friends looking for you to have a speedy recover.

Get well soon.

Jerry

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kris, WE all hope you are feeling better real soon.

To Rich, I get mine at Blick's on line.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/balsa-foam/

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  1:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the thoughts.
Rich:
Balsa Foam can be obtained from art supply companies and craft stores such as Michaels. One can also locate the material on-line from sites like Dick Blick, The Compleat Sculptor ( http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/craft/BalsaFoam.htm ) and Amazon. I concur that the foam is high cost material, but it's worth the price. For myself however, using it for large scenery areas would be something out of my modeling budget. But for smaller scenery items and structure components, yeah baby.

I've got the 'drying rack' out and expect to make use of it later today. I've also got to snag a couple of photos of the kit. I'm shooting for next Friday to get the first 'construction' comments posted, so until then...

Oh.. for those who don't know how I stain my wood, below is a link to a description and a picture of the 'rack'.
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25712&whichpage=8
-- A full understanding of the tool is detailed above the first picture in the above link. --

-- KP --

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Structures on the LP&N RR, vol.3 Topic Next Topic: new ULTRA flat black acrylic paint  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000