Railroad Line Forums - Buzzard's Cove Rebuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: hardcoalcase ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Buzzard's Cove Rebuild
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My HOn3 equipment. Topic Next Topic: Great Lakes HOn30 Module Group  

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  07:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

As I get some time, I'll start posting some photos of my rebuilt shelf switcher. I'm currently at the point of adjusting turnouts, and I'm slowly working on the wharf. Here are a couple quick pics to wet the appetite.

The last photo is from the old layout, which was too clunky for my preference. It featured 9" Radius turns and code 80 track. None of which I was happy with.

Thanks for looking!
Rich

Go Build Something Awesome.

http://www.marshcreekmini.com/

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  09:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,

What prompted the rebuild?

Jeff S.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  1:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be watching.

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  5:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

The original plan: (not sure I even started a thread here)

The plan was a condensed version of Giles Barnabe's "Littleport". At the time, I had some spare supplies, with a mess of code 80 flex, and a handful of Peco Settrack switches.

I wanted something to "play" with HOn30, I only had a Railway Recollection 0-6-0 and some short freight cars to plan for. I immediately began running into problems with the little switcher, because no matter what I tried (added pickups on center drivers even) the loco wouldn't make it past the dead frogs. The Peco switches were also out of gauge, which was causing some problems. Then, I bought a Minitrains F&C, and went off the deep end. I sold 90% of my On30 stuff to finance another Minitrains, and a bunch of other models. The F&C had a longer wheelbase, so it made it over the dead frogs with no problem. I also had built a Five79 Forney that I just sold that "sort of" worked on the layout. It made the tight turns most of the time. 9" Radius was just a little too tight.

The look of the N scale code 80 was bugging me, and I wanted to use turnout motors, so I decided to jump in with both feet and hand lay track. Something I had never done before, but I was surprised how easy it is with the Fast Tracks Jig. I also wanted something a little more prototypical (which is odd for me) and I deleted the crossing. Now the plan is more of an Inglenook, which should be fun to switch cars on.

#2 and a to be completed Sango 2-6-0 Dachshund are sitting on the "knockout" bridge. I'm still slowly working on the wharf, then I'll have to place a bridge.

It's an AWESOME time to be involved in HOn30. The stuff available is getting really really cool.

Rich

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  8:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your revised plan.

Jeff S.

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 12/15/2014 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I was able to wire everything up and adjust the turnouts. Now on to bigger and better things, like scenery and structures. Took a quick video of running on the switcher and posted it to YouTube. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDUbnFgczTw

Happy Modeling!

Rich

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  12:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a great little layout Rich! Looking forward to seeing more, I love the Maine two-footers. Nice video too.

-Cody

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love what you did with the backdrop

Bryan

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  5:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't Spotted this thread till now. Admiring the nice hand painted backdrop.

Previous Topic: My HOn3 equipment. Topic Next Topic: Great Lakes HOn30 Module Group  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000