Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 79

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  4:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back from the week-long blues guitar workshop, Iím working on the ramp up to the coal shed:

I couldíve made the addition a little longer. Iíll just have to be careful until the next section is added.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  4:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, are you much mo' bluesy?

Like the way your new scene is taking shape!

Gonna' be a looong time before I'm to the terrain form, texture, and ground foam stage!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  6:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Andre.

Perhaps Iím a bit more bluesy. I worked on several new songs (new to me) that I now have to smooth out and refine.

I have minimal scenery requirements my layout so I donít get around to it often. I do it scene by scene, including ballast.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like how the scene is progressing. It's going to be remembered by those who see it.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  7:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I like how the scene is progressing. It's going to be remembered by those who see it.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  12:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a photo to show I am still working on my coal shed scene:

I used a combination of homasote scraps, a paper mache-like material from Michael's, and plaster wrap to do the sides of the ramp. I painted everything and am now applying ground cover and ballast. Some years ago I bought fine River Stone from Smith and Son, and like it as the ballast on the ramp. I have a large quantity and can build it up to adjust the sides of the ramp to a more realistic angle than I achieved with the homasote.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, your coal shed scene is coming along nicely!
Do you paint & weather your track?
Those shiny rail joiners that I see, really catch my eyes.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  2:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Greg.

Yes, I paint the ties and rail. And indeed, the rail joiners need attention. Good observation. I still have a solvent paint to do that job and I need to find the thinner to clean the brush, and when done, dispose of any rags with thinner etc. Plus, the cap on the paint usually sticks and needs dealing with. In other words itís a job I find easy to put off.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  6:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are making nice progress Mike, Your scenery is taking shape'..

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  7:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stopping by to peek in and see what progress you have made. That coal shed looks great. I really like the color of the whole shed.

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  07:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Your ramp is filling in nicely and I agee with Bernd: the color of the shed looks good

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  08:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Ted, Bernd and Bill, for the nice comments.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with all of the above.

Is that "board by board" on the sides/etc?

If so, you attained an excellent effect by doing so.

If not, then I need to learn your technique for getting such superb variation on a slab side model!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  4:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Yes, itís board on board. I documented its construction in the ď2019 Tribute ChallengeĒ thread earlier this year. I have some more to add to the structure and I will post updates accordingly .

Thank you for your comments.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working the coal shed into my layout motivated me to so some scenery in this part of my layout. That includes ballasting track, gluing down a layer of fine soil, and adding static grass in a couple of shades representing wintertime.

Here I've ballasted track and must now work the ground cover up to the ballast.

I see that I have more rail joiners to paint a rusty color.

I've applied static grass around the shed:

A distant view of track-work with partially-complete ballasting.

I'm real slow at applying ballast, in part because I do a short section, clean up the track, and run a train across as a check that all is well. I discovered one section of rail was no longer getting power; presumably glue crept into a rail joiner and something had gone wrong with the electric drop to the power bus.

As I add dirt and winter grass I need to also plant trees to take away the desert look.

Mike

Page: of 79 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000