Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?
Page: of 79

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2019 :  08:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Andre. I do hope so. Iím debating right now on the next step.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  4:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I covered the paper landforms with plaster gauze, then painted the area with "Floquil Earth" from Sherwin Williams. Here it is after the layer of plaster gauze and partially painted:

Completely painted, ready for ground cover:

Bet you never knew Sherwin Williams made a color called "Floquil Earth." Here's the story: in his book "Realistic Model Railroad Scenery" Dave Frary recommended using a color similar to Polly S "Earth" for painting the scenic base. In a rare moment of lucidity, I took a spray can of Floquil "earth" I had on hand, sprayed a board with it, and had Sherwin Williams match it in a latex. They don't know the real name; they call it "Manual" but I know it's really "Floquil Earth."

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  5:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL on Sherwin Williams "Floquil Earth"!

Starting to look more like a scene!

We wait...

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  3:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the progress Mike
Floquil Earth was fun

HŚkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  6:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, HŚkan! I appreciate your looking in.

Mike

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  8:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, What's the formula?
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  10:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Mike, What's the formula?
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíve started covering the painted area with actual dirt. I do a little at a time. The slope to the left is still wet.

Once I finish the dirt Iíll add grassy stuff.

I also need to build a ramp for track coming up from the mainline.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  12:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering when we'd see an update!

Thanks for sharing with us how you're making this come together!

BTW: In the past, I've used sifted dirt and really like it... except for the talcum-like dust. Nothing looks more "real", though!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  1:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Andre.

Iím off to a blues guitar workshop next week; there will be a slowdown in progress and updates.

Like you I prefer real dirt although I have some commercial ground foam ďearthĒ to use up and will do so in spots.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blues, eh?

I like to play some blues (more of a rock blues type)... and funk... and R&B... and modern Jazz and...

Been a bassist for over 50 years.

Here's my current go-to bass:

Music has been a very big part of my life since I was a child.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  6:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

My ďbeater guitarĒ on the left and newer one on the right.

The older one, bought 47 years ago when I was a student, needs a repair which Iím planning to have done next week. It has lighter strings and Iíll probably use it for open tunings and to take places where I donít want to take my better one.

Iím learning fingerstyle picking, Piedmont and delta styles.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  7:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It reads as if you like "pure" blues! I'm talking the honest-to-goodness blues on which the other genres of blues evolved from.

Blues, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0_eRVroLqs&list=PLEKZKgEsQU4odDOamfj7mC8u71vG4A48D

Am I right?

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  8:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. Muddy Waters is a favorite of mine.

Examples of my interest:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c3jG_tsTn_w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G0H_5PSNokk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_ZkAJZW6Q

With varying degrees of competence on my part.

Mike

Page: of 79 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000