Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a 34 boxcar (styrene) Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build
Page: of 68

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  8:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great explanation, Mike. When I was a kid, wiring/electrical was one of my favorite parts of the hobby. That was before DCC. I may need to read up on that...

Thanks as always for the update.

R

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  10:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ryan.

I like electrical stuff when it works.

DCC is pretty easy, although like anything it gets complicated when you want to go beyond the simplest tasks. When I switched to DCC all I did was disconnect my power pack and connect the DCC system.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  08:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A neat solution that looks at least as good as anything else. Nice work.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  09:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

A neat solution that looks at least as good as anything else. Nice work.

Thank you, Bill.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
DCC is pretty easy, although like anything it gets complicated when you want to go beyond the simplest tasks. When I switched to DCC all I did was disconnect my power pack and connect the DCC system.

So your locomotives came decoder equipped?

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  2:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The little 4-4-0 came with decoder and sound. The 2-8-0 was “DCC ready” and all I needed to do was plug in the decoder. No sound.

I’m getting ready to install a decoder in an old MDC 2-8-0; that will take more work because I will need to isolate the motor from the frame. I’ve done that before on an MDC RS-3.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  3:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, all of your work on your layout continues to impress!
You are going to end up with a beautiful layout, when you have finished.
I've never seen that switch switch trick before, that's pretty cool.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  3:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Mike, all of your work on your layout continues to impress!
You are going to end up with a beautiful layout, when you have finished.
I've never seen that switch switch trick before, that's pretty cool.

Greg Shinnie

Thank you, Greg. With my penchant for going back to redo sections I’m not sure my layout will ever be finished. But what I am trying to do is emulate the craftsmen on these forums like yourself and complete scenes, sort of like dioramas. They will eventually be linked up by scenery.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/29/2018 3:48:01 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat solution Mike, looks a lot less conspicous than the old throws.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Thank you. I think I can disguise them even more with a little paint. We’ll see.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I drink my morning coffee and look at my layout from my chair contemplating my next step, I decided to snap a quick photo from my rocking chair:

. . . Just for fun.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That picture looks a little "wintery" for VA.(no leaves on the tree) Need some of that white stuff.

Loves those old time cars. Very nice variety and you said you have an MDC RS-3? Somehow I don't see that as fitting in with the year these boxcars ran.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

My $.02 worth. The Caboose throws are hugely oversized. But generally ignored as us 1:1 people would have an awful time trying to throw a switch without destroying a scale sized throw. So, your switch/switch solution is good. Maybe a little cover to simulate a hydraulic or steam assisted actuator would work too, or not. Atlas faked us out for years.

Jim

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, you can't get anything dome sitting in a rocking chair. Put down the coffee . . .

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although, I still like that picture of all that rolling stock Mike!

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a 34 boxcar (styrene) Topic Next Topic: Etched brass locomotive kit build  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000