Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0? Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 79

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  09:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow... good work! Certainly not a hack job, and like Bill said, not crummy at all. Yup, I'd say you have yerself a shur'nuf pair of cabeese, there Mike. Nicely done!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Andre.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  10:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Wow! what a sweat and unique pair they are. railman28

Yes, They are a perspiration to us all :)

You left yourself wide o-pun for that one, Bob.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  10:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Small but mighty...I love your cabeese models.
The detail is excellent. They look great connected to the freight cars.
Dave

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  11:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you! Now my trains look complete.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  2:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, sent you an email unrelated to model RR a few minutes ago. A bit of a rocky mystery... :)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  3:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Mike, sent you an email unrelated to model RR a few minutes ago. A bit of a rocky mystery... :)

Got it, and replied with a question.

Mike

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  4:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I spent about a week of lunch time going through this thread. Really remarkable stuff, Mike. I admire your skills and your commitment to a pre-1900 prototype. Good on ya. Your fleet of box cars inspired me to finally order one of the little 25' Bitter Creek cars to build while away from my family for work. Thanks for taking the time to document your modeling here.

Ryan

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  10:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

Thank you. Although I havenít built any of the 25í foot boxcars I expect they are as much fun as the larger ones.

Youíve reminded me that Iíve not posted anything new here for a while. Iíve been realigning track and moving buildings around.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man... you have a website too! Gonna be over there for a while now...

R

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  11:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Oh man... you have a website too! Gonna be over there for a while now...

Another place where I need to do some updating.

Thank you for your interest.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/14/2018 11:08:41 PM

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  4:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike... not sure how many pages back, but I saw you did a couple of tanbark gondolas. I think you said you had a hard time finding prototype photos. Here's the Jennings Brothers in Lopez. By 1900 they were standard gauge and may have been using LVRR gons for bark. Or not. Anyway, here's a photo that could be of help. Lots of bark! (Also notice the peeled logs!)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  6:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. It looks to me that they built a framework above the two coal gons. I think by this time the LV was replacing its coal gons with true hoppers. Obviously the now-old coal gons with their flat floors were relegated to carrying lumber and tanbark.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  07:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Glad Ryan said something about you having a web site. Quickly surfed over there and did a quick look through. Very interesting. I'm using part of the LV in my up and coming layout. The quarry idea is taken from the one in Leroy, NY where the LV had a connection with the quarry. Also I'm using the branch from Rochester Jct. north to Rochester to connect with the old B,R, & P to move coal to the Lake for shipment over to Canada. The southern branch, known as the Hemlock branch will be used as staging for a lumbering operation, yet to be developed.

And as you said it needs a bit of an update. A couple of links are dead ends, other than that it makes for very interesting reading. Inspires me to get something together for my railroad history.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

And as you said it needs a bit of an update. A couple of links are dead ends, other than that it makes for very interesting reading. Inspires me to get something together for my railroad history.

Bernd, thank you for perusing and poking around my website. I'll check links and add some photos in the coming days.

Lately I've been altering my trackwork to accommodate future industries and to give my coal dealer more prominence. Here's a brief tour.

Starting from the shops area . . .

. . . we will pass the depot and freight house . . .

. . . the coal trestle . . .

. . . a brewery under construction and the packing house . . .

. . . to the lumber yard:

The brewery will probably move to make room for a different enterprise with lower roof lines. So far I have only built the malthouse portion with its distinctive towers where the sprouted barley was roasted. I will likely place it in an area backed by a higher backdrop to highlight the towers.

Mike

Page: of 79 Previous Topic: Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0? Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000