Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  7:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An in-progress photo of covering the roof:

I started the lettering: Clover House dry transfers, letter by letter:

The P&NY Railroad Co. was one of the corporate entities that made up the Lehigh Valley RR.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  08:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, Mike!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'booses' are looking good, Mike.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  1:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Su per nice job of getting the letters straight.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  3:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice Cabeese Mike! What are you using for the canvas roof? It has great texture.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  8:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bill, Bruce, Bob and Håkan.

For the roof I used tissue paper I bought at a party store, next to the orange tissue paper in the Halloween section. I cut it into strips with an absolutely new knife blade. I glued it down with canopy glue applied to the roof with a brush. The paper soaks up the moisture very quickly so you only get one chance to position it correctly. It smooths out with a finger nicely.

I have a life-time supply of paper:

I'm not sure the roofing would have been done in strips or one big piece, but I did strips because of the obstruction on the roof. Seams are pretty subtle.

I completed the lettering and have been adding the grabs.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  09:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael,

Just popping in to see the progress you've made. I love the cabooses. I was going to ask if they are scratchbuilt. I figure why bother, I'll go look for when you started. Found the answer on page 32. I remember seeing those plans in either MR or RMC. They'd make a nice TT scale project. The truck frame would be the toughest part of the project.

Keep up the nice work, it's very inspiring.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Nice work on the caboose roof coverings. You can also use your tissue paper supply soaked in diluted white glue to make weathered tarps to cover dock or flatcar loads or make a tar paper roof.
Looking forward to more of your projects.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Bernd, modifying the truck frames was not a lot of fun. What we need in HO are the wheel pedestals used on bobbers like these.

Dave, I'll have to remember that tip about flat car loads. Regarding roofing for structures, it was a Campbell kit I built for one of the the RRL challenges several years ago that introduced me to tissue paper. My wife told me where I could buy it.

Today I did grabirons, including nbw's.

Tomorrow . . . who knows? We'll see what I feel like doing.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look soooooooo good. Don't stop now they're almost ready for service. We all know what comes next can be "fun". Do you have a jig for bending the platform railings? Might be a good time to build one.

Really looking Good,

Bob

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  07:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
tissue paper

Great idea and source! Thanks for the tip.

And those cabeese are awesome Mike!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael HohnThanks guys!

Bernd, modifying the truck frames was not a lot of fun. What we need in HO are the wheel pedestals used on bobbers like these.

Mike

Agree with you on the pedestals. BTW, the cabooses are looking real good.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  09:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the thin paper from telephone directories (remember those?) for canvas roofs. I just lay down a layer of paint, put the telephone paper on the sticky paint (the occasional small wrinkle is a feature), and then paint the paper when it's dry.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  10:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat little bobbers.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  4:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto to what Bob said - push on forward.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000