Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 64

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  10:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I'd be bragging too.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bob, I'm not sure what is appropriate for my era other than photos I've seen showing tall stacks of lumber in the open air.
Mike

That's always a problem for us early rails as what was ordinary often was not photographed. The memories we all have as children and so often tell us what fits and doesn't are just too new so naturally we're not sure. I've seen a couple of photographs of resale and distribution yards and several Sanborn maps showing "stacks of Lumber" so on this I can be reasonably sure.

Your's look fabulous to me.

Bob

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  8:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The uncertainty is a challenge to the early rail modeler, but it makes the discovery of some obscure photograph showing the thing you're looking for that much sweeter when it happens.

Great thrown-together display, Mike. Has the right feel to it.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys!

Bob, youíre right. Itís also easy to project back in time and assume what we see in old photos is true for old old times. Meanwhile, I have found pre-1900 Sanborn maps for the area Iím modeling and they show lumber sheds, so I know they existed but I donít know what they looked like. Piles of lumber show up in lots of photos.

Galen, Iíve actually been very fortunate in locating (stumbling across) photos, but I could always use more.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Mike, I'd be bragging too.

Frank, thank you. I didnít do any bragging but I did bring home first place in the monthly popular vote.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  2:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I bet the observers checking out your "quick" diorama were drooling over the modeling. Looks great and can't wait to see it with the additional details included down the road! Great job!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  10:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thank you. Any drooling that occurred fortunately didnít fall on the model. It would be hard on wood and yellow glue.

Full installation on my layout will probably wait for a couple of wood sheds to be built. Iím working on ideas.

Meanwhile Iím back working on my pair of cabooses. Gonna finish them this time around.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  12:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Mike,
a couple of wood sheds to be built. Iím working on ideas.

Meanwhile Iím back working on my pair of cabooses. Gonna finish them this time around.

Mike

I an so sorry if my comments lead you to the bog of indecision. I look forward to seeing the Cabooses finished.

Bob

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  1:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, you work on your cabooses. Once I finish dropping feeders and 'trimming' benchwork, I too have some crummy work ahead.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  5:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what a fine looking lumber facility! great work

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  10:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, Don't worry. I'm developing my lumberyard slowly as I get ideas. I've known all along one little building was not enough.

Galen, I'll just keep bobber-ing along on my crummy car construction.

Kevin,Thank you for the kind words.

Here's where they stand at present:

I'm currently covering the roof to represent canvas and will move on to lettering and the rest of the details.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  10:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're looking good Mike. I really like the cupolas.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  10:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  07:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting close to finished, Mike. Look good!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  09:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Getting close to finished, Mike. Look good!

Thank you! Itís getting real. Real close, that is.

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000