Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 64

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is mighty fine looking work Mike'.. All three projects look excellent'.. Also nice to see structures in a good state of police instead of over weathered and dilapidated conditions...

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 09/09/2018 4:31:05 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]You are already bringing back fond memories of my lumber yard build for me

Mike,

I looked at the calendar and the date when you started your lumberyard thread (July 24th). I was at a blues guitar workshop that week but one evening that week I drew up plans for my lumberyard building. So we started our models almost simultaneously. Funny coincidence but I have enjoyed the company.

Thank you for the kind words.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  5:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

That is mighty fine looking work Mike'.. All three projects look excellent'.. Also nice to see structures in a good state of police instead of over weathered and dilapidated conditions...

Ted,

Thank you very much. I always value your comments.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  8:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I stumbled on your thread after you started your caboose project. So, I had to go back in time. Those are really nice cars. Just like all of your work. Thanks for posting the updates.

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  10:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Chuck. Very much appreciated.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  3:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was a meeting of the NMRA division in our area. Wanting to take my lumber yard building to the meeting for the "Bring'n'Brag" I constructed a temporary display with walls, gate, track, piles of lumber, and a scratchbuilt flat car:

It looks a little stark in the photos, but once planted on my layout I will add details such as weeds, more lumber piles, details on the structure including door handles, a wagon in the yard area, and perhaps one or more additional buildings.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  4:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your lumber yard Mike. I especially like how you have the lumber stored appropriate for the era you model.

Good job, I look forward to the final version.

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  4:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about a combo coal and lumber yard. Did they have lumber racks in the 1890s?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mike! It will fun to view your completed scene.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  6:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I've been thinking about a combo coal and lumber yard. Did they have lumber racks in the 1890s?

dave

I apologize if me responding here is inappropriate but I Did make the comment provoking Dave's question so; I have not seen lumber racks (like Atlas' lumber yard) in use before the 1940's. Maybe a little earlier, buy not much and certainly not before the turn.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  6:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, wish i could rush together a temporary display that looked that good!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job Mike!

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  9:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I really like your display. Your work is always precise and eye appealing.
Nice work!
Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  9:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good Mike'. Nice work in short time.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  10:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everybody!

Bob, I'm not sure what is appropriate for my era other than photos I've seen showing tall stacks of lumber in the open air.

Dave, I agree with Bob that the Atlas lumber rack is representative of post 1900. The February 2010 RMC has postcard photos of lumber yards in the Midwest around 1908-12. They show some two-story lumber sheds; too late for me however. Sanborn maps from the 1890's of the Auburn NY area I am modeling shows rows of "lumber sheds" which I suspect were humble single story affairs.

Andre, I suspect it will be a little while before it's all planted on my layout. We'll see.

Carl, I appreciate your looking in.

Dave, I have a lot of models to emulate here on the Forums. Also, I've learned that the camera is merciless in picking up the imprecise and the poorly-constructed.

Bill and Ted, I confess some elements already existed before this past weekend, such as the flat car, a couple of lumber piles and the base with track, although I did rework some of the scenery.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/17/2018 10:20:20 PM

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000