Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 64

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  12:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Ted,

Thank you for the tip. I will look for them next time Iím in Loweís.

Mike

As you move to LEDs, you'll want to pick a color temperature and stick with it. (I'm using 4000k, they're harder to find than either 5000k or 3200/3500k, but I like the look.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  10:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh that coal dock is so clean and crisply built, hasn't even developed any sags yet. I enjoy seeing early rail modeled before it develops all those caricatured John Allen swaybacks.

I too was taken by Allens building as a kid, but once I starting checking the books out of my local library on the local railroads I learned how well they were maintained and got more interested in the more obscure and prosperous early days rather than the beleaguered final days of an old line.

Looking forward to seeing some coal underneath your trestle.

Blair

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Thank you. The piles of coal will probably have to wait until the trestle is installed on my layout.

I imagine an operational coal trestle was maintained in good repair until decommissioned. In any case, Iím modeling a period when most of these structures are not old and decrepit yet, as youíve observed.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PROJECTS UPDATE

I've been working back and forth on several models, completing one: the coal trestle, bringing a second close to completion: the lumber yard, and moving a third forward: the "caboose cars" as the LV called them.

Here are two views of the coal trestle. I added a couple of braces underneath the upper end:

And spiked down rail on the ramp:

Final placement on the layout awaits tracklaying.

Meanwhile, I fired up the airbrush and painted the two caboose cars:

I finished much of the shingling on the lumber yard office and storage building:

The shingles are Bar Mills.

One detail I try to remember when shingling or laying slate is to put a strip of material along the edge. This serves two purposes: it prevents the roof boards showing through gaps in the shingles, and it angles the first full-depth row of shingles up a little to match the rows that follow. Otherwise the first row lays flat onto the sub-roof and there is a subtle but noticeable vertical gap between it and the next row, which lies at a slight angle. That first strip also follows prototype practice.

I'm hoping to complete the lumberyard over the next week.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  7:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Mike. And, dare I say it, those cabeese are cute, er, I mean they have loads of character because they're short.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  8:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider adding some 45 degree bracing at the very end of the trestle, to counteract the force of the cars moving towards that end. I've seen that on a couple prototype trestles.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  11:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I considered that as well as handrails for the walkways on either side of the track. However, I decided that because Iím modeling a time before 50 ton cars and because the trestle is low to put my efforts into other details instead.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  11:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Great progress, Mike. And, dare I say it, those cabeese are cute, er, I mean they have loads of character because they're short.

Galen

Galen,

Thank you.

Yes, I have to agree they are cute, especially with the narrow cupolas.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, good stuff. Nice progress all around -trestle, cabeese and shingles.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  07:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

You've been a busy bee! The coal ramp looks great... and the cabeese are superb... Bar Mills is coming right along nicely!

Very good craftsmanship is displayed in the above pics!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  07:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

You've been a busy bee! The coal ramp looks great... and the cabeese are superb... Bar Mills is coming right along nicely!

Very good craftsmanship is displayed in the above pics!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill and Andre, Thank you.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  1:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES!!! That Coal trestle is great. It does take a lot of room doesn't it. What an effective scene it makes. The Athern old time Consolation fits right in too. It like the cabooses too though the well executed and accurate narrow copulas take some getting use too (how did they watch for hotboxes in them?). Good progress too on the lumber yard.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  3:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you. Yes. Iíll have to plan carefully where the coal trestle will be placed. Maybe hotboxes were well down on the list of hazards in those days.

Mike

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  3:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All three projects are coming along swimmingly, Mike! Thanks for reminding the group about that tip of placing a layer along the edge. I have always done so. I like the colour of the lumber yard office. You are already bringing back fond memories of my lumber yard build for me, Mike!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000