Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 64

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  12:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you've ramped up this again, Yes, that was awful in stark contrast to your modeling. Very Different approach adding the ballast on the ramp. That's a nice idea.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  3:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Carl, Bill and Bob.

I searched the web for photos and plans of coal trestles and found that the approach track was laid on an earthen ramp and ballasted as with any track. From one photo in particular the ramp was up to about 5’ ground to rail top. So that’s what I did. Where I diverged from the photo is using retaining walls so that the ramp and trestle could be close to adjacent tracks either side. I copied a photo in which similar walls next to the coal drop area contained the piles of coal.

Because the trestle was intended for a back track I decided that building everything on my workbench was the way to go. Especially on spiking the rail down.

Again, thank you for following and for the comments.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  5:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite likely this was originally a trestle that was filled in with dirt, like so many wood trestle bridges were. Looking good, and doing this kind of work off-site is always the way to go. My FSM 155 "Old Time Coal Dock" was built on a 1"x4"x4' piece of plywood. (That's all boxed up, I'm not sure if I can use it on the new layout. The problem is the the kit is set for a left approach, and my layout would need this for a right-hand approach. And the dock would block access to the big yard.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  07:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you.

1. On my model and the prototype I followed there is a full abutment to hold back the earth and ballast. It’s analogous to a trestle over a river where the abutments hold back a wedge of fill. There actually is insufficient vertical distance underneath the ties for a trestle pile and stringers.

2. I’ll bet most of us have models on the shelf or in boxes that no longer fit on our layouts. Sad to think what happens to all those abandoned orphans.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  1:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about motive power on the Southern Central RR. Period photos show mainly Lehigh Valley locomotives, and so I finally lettered a conversion I did a while back, marrying a cut-down Mantua boiler to an MDC 2-8-0 Old Time frame and mechanism:

I replaced the domes, pilot and lamp.

My plan is to convert it to dcc, which will require me to isolate the motor from the frame. Anybody know a replacement for the 2mm x 3/16 screw that holds the motor in place?

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  4:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good, Mike.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  4:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you get the screw from microfasteners.com?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  8:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and Dave,

Thank you.

Dave, I checked and I think they have what I need.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  8:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the same screw that a Sagami uses?

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  9:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

The motor is in fact a Sagami.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  2:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great conversion Mike! Really makes a husky freight locomotive.
On mechanisms. Athearn/Roundhouse is coming out with more oldtime 2-8-0s this autumn and they come with a version that have Soundtraxx sound instead of awful MRC sound they used before.
http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=2-8-0

Håkan

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  3:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That is indeed a nice conversion. Glad the MDC mechanism is such a versatile platform for such work. I recently got one of the Athearn RTR 2-8-0's on ebay and it runs so very smoothly.

Hakan - I looked at those as well while researching the 2-8-0 I just got used. However, if you click on an individual locomotive, the listing says two things - "Due Late November, 2018" and "This product is discontinued." So which is it? I'm hoping the former!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  5:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

If you run into a snag, I have a few of those screws. I'll need to check to see how many I will need for some of my future conversions, but I'll bet I can spare one for you if needed. (i.e. To keep you from having to order in bulk and pay silly shipping charges.)

BTW: Yes, that's a nice "Lehigh Valley" representive: Husky and ready to do some hauling. I have one Mantua boiler that I also did the same, but I left too much "tall" boiler and I don't like the proportions that mine ended up with. Yours turned out better. If I try again for a Mantua boiler-to-MDC 2-8-0, I'm going to leave a lot less tall boiler than I did previously, and go for a "Rogers" type look.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  11:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Galen and Andre,

Thank you for the kind words. I forgot to mention that an important part of the conversion was lowering the boiler. The stack is one of the parts that came in the MDC kit.

Thanks, Andre, for the offer. Northwest Shortline appears to have what I need but I’ll let you know if I’m wrong.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  08:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by ocalicreek

Hakan - I looked at those as well while researching the 2-8-0 I just got used. However, if you click on an individual locomotive, the listing says two things - "Due Late November, 2018" and "This product is discontinued." So which is it? I'm hoping the former!

Galen
[\quote]
Strange I found that too on the listing of the first item. The others state only November 2018. I hope that its only a typing fault

Håkan

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000