Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  8:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck, Dave, Andre, Frank, Carl and Rich, Thank you.

Carl. My layout is about 16í by 20í around the walls of a room above our garage. The center of the room is quite open and has my work table, place for me to practice my guitar, and earlier this year room to do a little reupholstery.

Rich, I appreciate your words and following along. I have a rocking chair next to my work area and sometimes while reading Iíll look up at my layoutówhich is about eye level when Iím sittingóand gaze for a while, planning, changing, moving things around in my head. Occasionally that leads to actual work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/20/2018 10:55:35 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  11:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Continuing work on the car shop I have started a set of bins for parts storage:

Iíve seen bins like this on a couple of railroads. I suspect they were used to hold metal scrap for recycling.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/20/2018 10:52:47 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished the bins for my shop area:

Now I need to fill them with junk.

Iíve been assembling and painting Tichy wheel sets. Next on the list is piles of lumber.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a very interesting set of bins. Nice built and weathered too.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  1:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, That looks like another good layout project you won't have to scrap. Oh, wait a minute, you already did.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  8:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and Bill, thank you.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  08:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
The bin is looking great!
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you know bins are in.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  09:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You "bin" busy!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  12:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, Frank and Carl, many thanks.

Mike

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  5:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Don't fill the bins with junk, fill them with stuff. Remember what George Carlin said, that stuff is the junk we keep and junk is the stuff we get rid of.

Just catching up on your thread and wow, the trestle sure does look nice. I have a coal trestle I built from a Blackstone kit, but it doesn't have the long approach. I set it down into the scenery, sort of against a hillside. Anyway, I will be recycling that trestle off of that layout when it is dismantled later in the year or thereabouts. Now I know what I could do with it if space allows.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galen, thank you for the nice comment.

I enjoyed the George Carlin quote. It hit the nail on the head. Iíll search the catalogs for stuff.

This is the third coal trestle Iíve done, but the first with the long ramp. Iím hoping to wrap it up soon and will post more photos when I do

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  9:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back to the coal trestle.

This photo shows the earthen ramp to the trestle. The basic structure is wood, and I have been carefully ballasting the track with diluted wood glue, trying to use as little water as possible. I weight everything down to prevent warping.

Here I've started the walls on either side.

And I've been laying track:

Almost done.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  06:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Built on the bench? A wise man you are!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  07:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Looks like you're ramping up to a big finish. Neatly ballasted.

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000