Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  9:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Looks great Mike! Sorry if you have already mentioned it but what do you use for staining the wood? It looks very nice.

Håkan,

Thank you.

I’m using a two-step process. First I stain the wood with a light yellow-brown furniture stain. I use it a lot when I do unweathered interior wood such as my machine shop on page 30 of this thread. Then I use a Hunterline brown stain.

I usually stain weathered wood a gray but I thought a coal trestle would have a different look.

I’ll probably go over it with Bragdon powders before I’m done.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  4:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike! Always interesting to know other methods.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  11:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Very nice.

Thank you, Frank.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  10:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm taking a rest from working on the coal trestle proper while laying the approach track to the trestle. I also added a new, all-purpose track next to my car shop for in-place repairs, dropping off supplies, and perhaps car painting. Here's a view of the engine house(left) and car shop showing the new turnout and shop track.

A little closer view of the facilities; I've started adding piles of supplies etc. typically seen around railroad shops.

I've been trolling the net for good images of old shop areas and Bill Gill has provided information as well as inspiration from his own car builds. (Thanks again, Bill!)

In the distance you can see the coal trestle; here's another angle:

I'll probably run trains over the new track for a while before ballasting.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  10:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that is looking so sharp!!!

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  11:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Mike, that is looking so sharp!!!

Bob,

Thank you for following along and for the kind words.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  07:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, the area looks good. it's starting to look like work happens there.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  08:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Mike, the area looks good. it's starting to look like work happens there.

Bill, Thank you.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  09:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking scene on the layout, Mike.

Chuck

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  09:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
A lot of hours in making the buildings and trackwork but it sure is worth the effort.
Nice work!
Dave

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  10:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

You shops scene is REALLY coming together nicely! Yer doin' good!

Andre

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  10:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is some car shop.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  1:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike.. What is the overall layout size?

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  3:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

While researching today on some older threads, please excuse me for not posting much lately, as I had forgotten you were in the process of building this wonderful layout. You are progressing with a nice build on the trestle.

I like your work and attention to detail. And I must remember to stop by occasionally for lessons in modeling to prototype, such as you do. It is very rewarding to set back and gaze at what you accomplish. I do that myself when building something, and make changes here and there. Excellent carshop and surrounding structures.

Rich

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000