Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  6:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A thing of sheer beauty, and big too.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  6:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

A thing of sheer beauty, and big too.

Frank,

Thank you. What a compliment!

Mike

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  03:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That trestle is looking great Mike. Great attention to detail. I still love that sky. Its shaping up to be a great scene.

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  08:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Nice trestle! I passed your post along to my friend who is modeling City Point, Va during the Civil War because there are some photos showing low trestles. I can't tell if those trestles were possibly used for unloading coal for the steamships there, or just to keep the track level where the ground drops off at the shore. Either way, your trestles may inspire him to add some to his layout.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ekul24

That trestle is looking great Mike. Great attention to detail. I still love that sky. Its shaping up to be a great scene.

Luke,

Thank you.

I wasn't sure how the sky would turn out until I started taking photos. It accomplishes what I set out to do. Thanks for following.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  1:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Mike, Nice trestle! I passed your post along to my friend who is modeling City Point, Va during the Civil War because there are some photos showing low trestles. I can't tell if those trestles were possibly used for unloading coal for the steamships there, or just to keep the track level where the ground drops off at the shore. Either way, your trestles may inspire him to add some to his layout.

Bill,

Let your friend know that I'd be happy to help him in any way I can. Even though I model twenty years after the Civil War, I'm still interested in that sad event. I assume he has checked out Bernie Kempinshi's civil war modeling site.

Thank you for the compliment.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  01:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic Mike! I love how you use jigs to get things at the right place.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, thank you.

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  6:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did things go with the Caboose project?

On a different topic, when operating on the coal trestle, will you need to have spacer cars to keep the locomotive off the trestle or was this one you suspect that was built to accept full weight? It's pretty long, so I suspect you will run right up on it.

The trestles in Fair Haven & Waverly were definitely built substantially enough and pictures show plenty of locomotives up on the structures.

Blair

Fair Haven

Waverly

Edited by - BlairM on 05/13/2018 6:01:41 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  9:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Blair,

After building a couple of boxcars for the annual Challenge I decided to do a structure as a change of pace. Also, I need to do the coal trestle to move forward on track in a critical part of my layout. The caboose project is not forgotten.

I think I’ve built the trestle robust enough that a locomotive could run up it with two cars.

Thank you for following.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  7:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple of in-progress photos for this week.

All ties are in place. For the ramp up ties alternate between normal length and extra wide to support walkways on both sides. Where the trestle levels off, the short ties are replaced by extra-short ones to provide more opening for the coal to fall through.

Here's another view of the top of the trestle:

I've started staining 2" by 10" stripwood for the walkways.

Work will be on hold for a week while the builder takes a break.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  8:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike.

Would you mind posting larger photos next time?

800 x 600 would be great.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  10:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, Thank you. Here are some more photos. Not an easy structure to photograph.

The ramp up:

The dump area:

An end view:

Lots of touching up to do.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  12:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking so sharp Mike.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  05:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bob.

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000