Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 64

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  3:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, your newly installed slate roofs look terrific!
They used a lot of copper back in those days for ridge caps, and in valleys.
Now that you have a clean slate, perhaps you could paint your ridge caps to look like newly installed copper without a green patina.
Just a thought.

Greg Shinnie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  8:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for supplying us with the slate roof particulars Mike. So out of the many described, which one is your favorite? That sure is a very fine looking slate roof on your building'..and your car as well'..

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  9:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,

Thank you. My favorite is the metal ridge cap. I think it is the easiest to do and looks best.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  7:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as I was thinking about ridge caps for slate roofs, and needing one for the car shop, the auspices were favorable. My approach was to tape some 0.005" styrene sheet to the material Evergreen sells for making raised seam roofing, and using a sharp--but not too sharp--lead pencil I scribe the thin sheet . . .

Which when turned over gives me a series of ribs:

I cut them apart into narrow strips, folded them, and after painting I had ridge cap with the slightest suggestion of a bead at the peak.

I think for a railroad shop this is about as fancy as needed. Even when made of copper these ridge caps were often painted, so I decided to follow suit. Besides, Michael's did not have a nice copper color in a spray can. After a little Dulcote I will glue them to the peak.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I've been dropping in once in a while, but I gotta say, I really love those freight cars. Also, very neat work on the slate roof.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Just stopped by to see what's happening. I've been wrestling with the Ramsey Station applying shingles. Tough for a first time through. Using Minuteman Scale Models slate shingles. I was wondering how the ridge gets done. Now thanks to your post the problem is solved.

Your roof looks really great. I'm going to have to decide if I ever do this again, and I will, whether to put the shingles on before installing the roof or after. For doing this the first time I think doing it before the roof is glued on would have been better. Oh well, I'm still in the learning stage on this portion of the hobby.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  09:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony and Bernd, thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to me.

Bernd, I found the slate takes practice, although I find them easier than the Campbell shingles. Almost all of my slate roofs have been removable; that makes it a little easier to trim edges and provides a firm support when sticking them down.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  09:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike- Great execution on that ridge cap...got to remember that one!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  1:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Mike- Great execution on that ridge cap...got to remember that one!

Thanks, Carl!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  2:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is nice work Mike,and it looks great'.
Thanks for the tutorial'...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  1:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

That is nice work Mike,and it looks great'.
Thanks for the tutorial'...

Thank you, Ted.

I completed the metal ridge and installed it on the car shop. A few more details--such rails withing the shop--and it will be complete . . . if I don't count the attached machine shop.

I don't claim this is the best method for ridge cap construction, but it does give a rather plain cap I think appropriate for this kind of building. If I were to do the same for a depot I would attempt a more pronounced bead along the top.

I have used the same method of scribing thin styrene sheet to represent raised seam roofing, such as on this feed store:

I go through this trouble because I find products like the Evergreen raised seam roofing to be a little over-sized and metal products are more work to paint and are easily bent in a nonprototypical-looking way.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/25/2018 1:49:21 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here’s a couple photos of roof treatments in Old Salem in Winston-Salem

The first shows a metal cap. The second one shows two ways of finishing off the ridges on a hipped roof.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  7:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Slate roof and ridge caps look good! Nice work!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  9:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Dave!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  03:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea on how to make the ridge cap! Looks great.

Håkan

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000