Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  11:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took a break from my coal trestle building to return to the Lehigh Valley boxcar I've been building for this year's challenge. The boxcar started as a B.T.S. kit of a Pennsy boxcar, but I used a rather fuzzy photo to make modifications to better approximate the prototype 28' car.

Here are a couple of photos of a stock BTS kit alongside my LV car:

A major change I made was to narrow the body by a scale 6", not much, but noticeable. Changes to the side included a slightly different door, corner braces (brass), different lower door guides, and different placement of grabs. Regarding the ends, there are no exposed end sills, no tunnel brake, scratchbuilt deadblocks, and nbw's for the truss rod ends. In fact the whole arrangement of details on each end is different.

I also replaced the fascia with thinner boards, which look more in-scale to me.

I am trying to build my fleet of shorter LV boxcars to better reflect the 1880's. This photo shows my new car in the center with a 30' car (left) and a 34' lumber car with end doors. All are based on photos and Equipment Register dimensions.

I really like the BTS kits and this is the ninth one I've either built stock or with modifications to fit other prototypes.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  06:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Very envious (in a good way!) of your rolling stock fleet! An excellent looking little car you made there, Mike. Shucks, they all are. It's fun to see photos of your fleet. Is the stock BTS car a 28' car?

Andre

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  08:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Those mods look nice on that LV car. Great work.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  08:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  09:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike the fleet is growing, nice.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  09:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre, Bernd, Mike, and Frank, thank you.

The BTS kit is for a 28’ PRR boxcar.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Mike!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  10:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, nice!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  11:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent Mike, I like the changes you did. all three cars look so sharp!

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, Mike. I like the similar, but not identical look.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, James, Bob and Bill, thank you for the kind words.

Here are the nine BTS kits I've built, including the LV car just completed:

I used the BTS kits as starting points for all the second group of cars since they had about the same dimensions according to ORER's.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  9:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Mike'. Quite the coincidence. I'm currently finishing up a Union Line wood car kit, by Art Fleming, from 1948. Very similar to your UL car in the photo. Only in O scale'.. You sure have a very nice prototypical looking fleet there'..

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 03/06/2018 9:53:21 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  10:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Ted. I’ll be interested in seeing your car when it’s finished.

Mike

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  7:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool cars. Did you have your own LVRR decals made?

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  10:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Thank you.

I used Clover House dry transfers (“Lehigh Valley Hay Grain and Provision Car”) for the large lettering, and pieced the rest from alphabets (“Lumber Car” and some of the small “LV” and numbers). The “Lehigh Valley Despatch” lettering was done with a friend’s decal system that required a laser printer, special paper and many steps.

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000